3D Water (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/3D Water (WIP)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm working on 3D ocean water, like how Crysis has. It's still early, but the basics are working well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_dZftdoaM

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#2]
Avoid sharks...

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hello.

Very nice, though it seems a little ephemeral at the shore. Still, you're making really excellent progress with this - keep going.

Goodbye.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#4]
try going underwatter and see if you see any caustis and underwatter effects ;)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#5]
Looks groovy. I agree with SoggyP about it seeming a bit ephemeral. Also, something about the general movement bugs me, but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. Perhaps it is the speed of the flow? I don't know. It seems like it would suit a rapidly moving river more than an ocean.

But, good work.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Looks good except the water appears to be flowing the wrong way. It looks like its flowing parallel to the shore line rather than towards it.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#7]
GFK hit it. The tide needs to flow toward the shore not sideways.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#8]
And it is way too fast. Waves do not come in and out that fast.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#9]
VERY nice start! The reasons for why it seems "ephemeral" (in essence not like an steady ocean) is that you have a visible stream direction along the beach. Instead you should consider a motion toward the beach, which - as a compromise- may well be as continuous as you have it there, but the idea of introducing slow but larger waves could help a lot. The other thing is a less frequent push of white water and contract it as the water pushes into the beach. The last, but probably coolest trick, would be to turn the sand darker in a slightly offset timing to the white water, much like as if the water made it wet, you know...

But altogether: Kudos! Looks great!

Karja(Posted 2008) [#10]
Looking good, apart from the things already commented on!

Regarding the wet sand.. If the suggestion was to make the wet sand dynamic based on the water: wouldn't it suffice to have a texture that's wet-sand-dark as far as the water ever reaches? (Or just a little bit further in.) It'd be cool to have it dampened dynamically based on the water flow, but I have a suspicion that a static solution is good enough. After all, the sand stays damp a while - it's not like it dries quickly. :)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#11]
Day 2, WIP 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrUEnT277WQ

Matty(Posted 2008) [#12]
The 2nd one looks good and doesn't look so much like gas passing over the shoreline at the boundary.

I like it, certainly better than I could do but I've not played any modern games that have water, probably the most recent that I've played that had any water was on a demo disc of Jurassic Park for the original Xbox - so that's a while ago - so my opinion probably to be taken with a grain of salt.

*(Posted 2008) [#13]
its still not hitting the beach tho, looks nice but I would like to see the ripple 'towards' the beach then the waves crashing against it.

puki(Posted 2008) [#14]
Yeh, that second one is rather sexual.

I bet there is more to come.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#15]
Looks good Josh but the foam looks too "attached" to the waves. Try decreasing the amount of foam as the wave washes out maybe. Heck I don't know :).

wmaass(Posted 2008) [#16]
Looks great Josh! Looking forward to the next update.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#17]
Buoyancy physics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al58OP3vOnk

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#18]
buoyancy looks good! only, it looks a little stiff. it might be because it is staying in one position. other than that, great.

plash(Posted 2008) [#19]
it looks a little stiff. it might be because it is staying in one position.
Aye.. Something not right about that and the foam.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2008) [#20]
Looks wrong - the object does not appear to pivot on any axis when hit by the waves. Other than that I can't wait to play the demo.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#21]
Well, the foam is static and makes it look like a sheet of plastic wrap. The object appears to be moving only up and down, while you could simply use the normals from the wave to get some inertia depending on the steapness of the wave, you know. Pretty "simple" routine and it'll be a world of a difference.

Great potential, though!

Banshee(Posted 2008) [#22]
I want to be the mother of your plancton. It's very good, so much better than i've been able to figure out since shaders came about :/. Well done.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#23]
wow Timur "Taron" Bisal is a member here. Didn't know that :9 I know you since atleast 7-8 years back in time. So what are you working on Taron, any personal game projects?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2008) [#24]
The inevitable conclusion here: when it comes to the ocean, it's pretty damn annoyingly near impossible to make it look realistic. Leadwerks, I think your attempts so far are excellent & getting better each time. Salute!

_33(Posted 2008) [#25]
Good show. Just think the water is a little too transparent, and the waves too round.