Something similar to fastimage but FREE

Community Forums/Showcase/Something similar to fastimage but FREE

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here is a link to something I have built that is similar to fast image. It is free and all written in b3d though. If you need graphics commands similar to blitz max but you don't have the money for any of the fastlibs, I recommend this. If you use this please give me a little credit and email me. also... modify it as much as you want. :)

Here are the commands...

NTGinit2d
EndNTG
DeleteNTG
UpdateNTG

DrawNTG
NTGsetalpha
NTGsetrotation
NTGsetscale
NTGsetcolor (buggy)
NTGsetblend
NTGcreaterect
NTGloadimage
NTGloadanimimage (works most of the time try this one out I am not sure if it works on all machines)

And a bonus

ScaleImageFast

Here is the download (FREE)

http://files.filefront.com/NTG+image+fixedzip/;12250961;/fileinfo.html

It includes two samples that show all of the features and how to use them. If you are still confused after reading the samples then look over the file NTG image.bb and see if you can figure them out from there.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback welcome. :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
You can't link directly to the download of a file on filefront, you have to link to the download page: http://files.filefront.com/NTG+imagezip/;12233159;/fileinfo.html (and you can't anchor it, because the url has a semi-colon, which the forum does not format correctly.)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#3]
oh so how do I make a link to file front?

hmmm... it works for me.

so is this right?

http://files.filefront.com/NTG+imagezip/;12233159;/fileinfo.html

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#4]
it works just fine for me, same as it did last night.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#5]
ok so any comments on it?

If you still have trouble downloading it please tell me.

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
hmmm... it works for me.
The link worked for you because it generated the download hash based on your unique information (IP probably). AFAIK the download hash's are also expire.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#7]
so this is the right link... I think

http://files.filefront.com/NTG+imagezip/;12233159;/fileinfo.html

Why does it work for mtnhome3d if it should only work for me?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#8]
could someone please at least tell me if this works for them on mac or vista? is the download still broken?

plash(Posted 2008) [#9]
Why would B3d work on mac?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#10]
oh sry I thought it did... It doesn't??? wow I never noticed there wasn't a mac icon to click on to buy it.

could someone please tell me if this works. do you like it? any suggestions?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#11]
here is a screenshot

Ked(Posted 2008) [#12]
oh sry I thought it did... It doesn't??? wow I never noticed there wasn't a mac icon to click on to buy it.

BlitzPlus and Blitz3D are Windows only.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#13]
so can everyone download it now or are there still problems... it says 16 people downloaded it on filefront so that must mean something is working.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#14]
Okay here is the slightly modified version. I believe you can now load images (not animated) that are of any size... not sure though.

I will call it VERSION 2... Original I know

http://files.filefront.com/NTG+image+v+2zip/;12244551;/fileinfo.html

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#15]
In Sample 1 I get
Texture does not exist: 'EntityTexture hand\entity,hand\tex,frm'

Sample 2 works fine.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#16]
okay... that is what I was afraid of... I will work on it.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#17]
oops lol I put the wrong version online I will tell you when I fix it.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#18]
fixed...

http://files.filefront.com/NTG+image+fixedzip/;12250961;/fileinfo.html

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#19]
Is this a single surface system?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#20]
IDK what a single surface system is but I know it has 2 triangles per sprite. I don't think it makes much of a difference though.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#21]
In which case it's not. What advantages does this have over just using 3d sprites?

A single surface system will be alot faster than this. Basically, you add the quad meshes to an existing surface and manipulate the vertices to move / rotate / scale them rather than using the entity commands.

This is a good example of a single surface system in action:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80691

Stevie

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#22]
What advantages does this have over just using 3d sprites?

1. Well I noticed that update 1.99 sprites are way too slow. IDK why though
2. I thought blitz vertice manipulations were slow???
3. It is pixel perfect and eliminates the alpha problem between sprites and objects in the game which a SS system cant do by entityorder and multi-pass rendering I think thats what you call it.
4. I wanted some commands similar to blitz max but entity-based.
5. It is very fast on my computer so I would assume the same would be true for others. I can have 2000 sprites on the screen at a time without affecting my frames per second.
6. I built this for my purposes but wanted to share it with the community because I thought someone might like it.

also

I have been under the impression that blitz vertex commands are slow and hard to deal with.

If you don't like it or think it is slow just don't use it I am not forcing you to use it. :)

[edit]

If you have any recommendations on the code or other things about it, please tell me.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#23]
Blitz vertex commands can be slow, but it's alot faster than using sprites. Each sprite counts as a surface and too many surfaces will slow your framerate right down.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#24]
oh I didn't know that thanks for mentioning that ross C I will learn from my mistakes

Defoc8(Posted 2008) [#25]
both systems have theyre own problems - single surface systems are more
complex, use costly read/write operations on buffers optimised for static data sets. Sprites are slower each one requires a buffer change,
and possibly several other state changes..each one will also require more
expensive matrix/maths operations than a typical single surface system..
the transform is hware accelerated usually..but for 4 points..its probably
more costly to upload the matrix..

single surface systems are typically faster - you might want to consider
implementing single surface tile maps - all the tiles in the surface can
then be transformed using a single accelerated matrix operation..

blah blah... theres heaps you can do to speed stuff up...

have fun splitting the vertex!!!..boOM!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#26]
lol... I am just in junior high... I don't understand all that martix math and all that stuff but as I said earlier, all I need this for is to add a few effects to my game and the HUD... the speed is not an issue for me considering I only need 20 or so sprites at once and it can easily do 200...

SabataRH(Posted 2008) [#27]
If your only adding a few sprites anyways I wouldn't bother with a SS system as the benefit would be unnoticible.

Cheers for contributing to the community.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#28]
Thank you swampdonkey... we are currently using this in our project Rumbling Darkness... here is a snapshot and the link to the site where we are doing the community project... sorry about the mist in the office... this was an experiment

http://jandscreations.proboards105.com/index.cgi

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#29]
Nice way to advertise the game NTG.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#30]
haha yeah I just thought well... it is a good example of its practical uses and it will advertise the game more!!! yay win-win situation

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#31]
I guess that's right.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#32]
Hate to say it, but I think you would find more people interested in using this if you threw a blitzmax port of it together.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#33]
Hate to say it, but I think you would find more people interested in using this if you threw a blitzmax port of it together.

Sure. People are just crying out for the ability to use BlitzMax commands in BlitzMax. In fact, it's such a good idea, I've even begun work on it. Feel free to do what you will with this code.

Function NTGsetalpha(A:Float)
   SetAlpha(A)
End Function

Function NTGsetrotation(A:Float)
   SetRotation(A)
End Function

Function NTGsetscale(X:Float, Y:Float)
   SetScale(X,Y)
End Function

Function NTGsetcolor(R:Int,G:Int,B:Int)
   SetColor(R,G,B)
End Function

Function NTGsetblend(B:Int)
   SetBlend(B)
End Function

If it's a big hit, I expect I could get around to finishing it off.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#34]
LOL!!!

ROFL!!!

I think he meant blitz plus...

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#35]
If it's a big hit, I expect I could get around to finishing it off.

How much will you sell the license for?

heh

:( I basically only looked at the title and the image, and figured it was a claim for simpler/faster sprite rendering then what is given now by max2d because I was under the assumption blitz3d had most of the same functions as blitzmax for it, with a more narrowed focus and a few limitations. I guess I blindly overrated blitz3d...i've never really used it.

Sorry about that Nate.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#36]
What a completely pointless post ^^^

[stevie g included]

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#37]
retimer... thanks for saying that. it was hilarious and it made my day :) ... and no blitz 3d does not have any of the functions like setrotation, setalpha, setblend etc... I just thought this was useful and thought other people might think the same. :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#38]
@Nate the Great: A post is not a thread.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#39]
oh sorry