Handwriting / Guesture TEST

Community Forums/Showcase/Handwriting / Guesture TEST

EOF(Posted 2008) [#1]
EDIT - V5 uploaded

Could you guys give this a trial run and let me know how accurate things are?

WHAT IS IT?
==================
A work-in-progress gesture recognition library I have just started on

USAGE:
===================
Draw out a character with the LEFT mouse button. The 'grey' line is the upper/lower case divider to help you correctly choose the right case. Example guide

After 1/2 second delay once you finish drawing the character the gesture routine will get to work and return the closest matching gesture/character

You can write single characters such as:
  0 ... 9
  a ... z
  A ... Z
  !"$%^*()-=+[]{};'#:@~,./<>?\|&

TIPS:
============
If you draw characters which consist of more than one stroke ('t' , 'H' , '#,) then try not to leave long pauses between the separate strokes otherwise the gesture routine will kick in mid-way

For characters that use dots (: . i) simply click the mouse to place the dot rather than drawing a small smudge

DOWNLOAD
==========
Get from here

http://cid-ab6d93c02292c6c4.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/code/HandWriteTest05.zip

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#2]
hand writing with a mouse ... isnt that an oxymoron?
even when im absolutly inebreated i can still write clearer with a pen than i can with a mouse when sober

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
Seems to work reasonably well, although the letter X is confusing it a lot.

I got all sorts of suggestions; Y, y, \, |... eventually I worked out that I write X's starting at the top left. Seems you've only coded it to recognise if you start at the top right.

hand writing with a mouse ... isnt that an oxymoron?
Only if you use telekinesis to move your mouse?

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#4]
But then typing on a keyboard is hand writing too, unless you move the keys with telekinesis, right :) ?

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
Very slick, the coders on this forum always amaze me. Wow...

However, it seems to never recognize "A" if I draw continuous and not let up on the mouse at all until it's done.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#6]
Works quite well with a graphics tablet. I had a few problems with '9' and 'x' tho. Came up with all sorts of suggestions for both...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#7]
But then typing on a keyboard is hand writing too, unless you move the keys with telekinesis, right :) ?
No, since the shape of the letters on the screen bears no resemblance to where your fingers are moving.

EOF(Posted 2008) [#8]
Gfk, JA2, (and others),

Can you let me know 'how' you write your characters which fail to be picked up? I can easily add your style to the DB

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#9]
Pretty cool.
Couldn't get it to recognize 'D' for anything. haha

Taron(Posted 2008) [#10]
I think it would be a great idea for you to collect a whole set of characters from everyone!

Very cool work, Jim!

JA2(Posted 2008) [#11]

These are the two that gave me the most trouble.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2008) [#12]
Can we get some code snippets as an early christmas gift. I'm sure all us Wii owners are dieing to have a real use for connecting that remote to our computers via blue-toothe.

plash(Posted 2008) [#13]
Can we get some code snippets as an early christmas gift. I'm sure all us Wii owners are dieing to have a real use for connecting that remote to our computers via blue-toothe.
Use the wiimote for drawing? Doesn't sound quite right to me..

Anywhoo.. It works in Wine! :D

EOF(Posted 2008) [#14]
Updated ... see top of thread

Let me know if any characters are failing badly

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#15]
Hmmm - I have the following issues:

d is always recognised as a
a is often recognised as q
b is always recognised as 6
6 is always recognised as G
s is always recognised as ,
o/O/0 are not distinguishable, and generally picked up as 0 (zero)
j is always i

Not a bad start, but to be honest, I think this kind of thing really needs to be able to learn / be taught corrections for each individual.

EOF(Posted 2008) [#16]
Thanks Mark
The big problem is, the more data you throw in there, the more similarilties there are likely to be returned

5 - s - S
k - K
i - j - 1 - |
{ - ( - [
q - a - 9

For a game with numberical input the function could be told to filter out letters and symbols therefore narrowing down the choice of matched characters

The o/O/0 is a tough one. Currently, if you draw a tall 'O' you should get capital version. Drawing a more squashed 'o' should return the lowercase character. Having said that, if someone draw's their 'o's starting from the botttom/sides the routine won't work

For zero try drawing the o then dropping a dot in the middle. Or, draw a diagonal slash through the 0 (like good old fashiioned 80's computers used)

I have just updated the database. Could you give it another whirl?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#17]
So-so -- quite a few letters it has no issue with, but others are very hard to get a consistent match. For example, I'm having problems with the lowercase 'a'. either it recognizes it as 'A' (regardless of how small I write it), or it keeps mixing it up with 'd' or 'Q'.

Since typically handwriting recognition tends to deal better with the uppercase characters than lowercase, you may want to consider putting more emphasis on the -size- of the letter drawn as well, and if it's tiny consider it a lowercase one regardless f the shape.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#18]
nice I can't write with a mouse if my lifed depended on it :) but I used my tablet and it worked well... I think it will only recognize certain people's handwriting though.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#19]
I think it's a pretty amazing handwriting teaching tool, hahaha! It may break funny habits...
I noticed that my normal handwriting is not as optimal as this tool understands. For example the number 9. I somehow used to start with the upper arc, come around and then pull down. Counterclockwise and then down. The program, however, wants it more ideal, which is quite clever. Clockwise and continuous.

So, I think you're up to something a bit more genius then you may have anticipated! A teaching tool! 8)

EOF(Posted 2008) [#20]
> Since typically handwriting recognition tends to deal better with the uppercase characters than lowercase, you may want to consider putting more emphasis on the -size- of the letter drawn as well

Actually that is what I have done to some degree. Drawing taller versions of letter S for example should result in a capital version. It is very hard to get this balance right though.

Could you describe how you draw your lowercase 'a' Xlsior?
Some examples of built-in gestures:

plash(Posted 2008) [#21]
Well, you could partially solve the size issue by giving the user an area to draw in, and by using an underline where the letters are to be drawn.

Also, for letter training take a look at this, you can enter in the characters as you would draw them, and afaik it just learns by caching the beginning and end points for each stroke.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2008) [#22]
Well the wii idea is to accept gestures as actual controls in the game. So instead of the whole writing letters idea but use other types of gestures to do different things in the game. And being that the wii remote can connect to the PC I'm sure it wouldn't be a half bad project if someone could incorperate it into a PC game.

johnnyfreak(Posted 2008) [#23]
it doesn't work here. (Windows XP)

skn3(Posted 2008) [#24]

my "9" (nine) isn't recognised!

Good apart from that, I second the suggestion that the size of your letter should effect the upper/lower case.

EOF(Posted 2008) [#25]
Added your style for 9

> it doesn't work here. (Windows XP)
What happens? Have you extracted all files to one folder location?

EOF(Posted 2008) [#26]
Well, you could partially solve the size issue by giving the user an area to draw in, and by using an underline where the letters are to be drawn

Implemented that idea now. Still a bit tricky to nail cases such as 'v' and 'u'

See new upload at top