Rotatapuzzle

Community Forums/Showcase/Rotatapuzzle

spacerat(Posted 2008) [#1]
Rotatapuzzle is an image based puzzle game, where you must unscramble a scrambled image. However, there is a catch, not only do you have to get blocks of the image in the right position, but you must get pieces in the correct rotation too. Perhaps this image will show you what I mean:

Drag in an image, click the scramble button then simply left or right click the pieces to rotate them into place as quickly as possible.

Download (Windows)
Download (Intel Mac) - Thanks Brucey
Download (Linux) - Thanks Brucey (again)

If anyone could compile versions for Linux or mac I would greatly appreciate it, just ask me and I'll send you the source.
Edit: No need for this any more although I still lack a PowerPC version. To be honest that's not so important.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#2]
I'll compile it for linux if it's not too involved, email in profile.

steve_ancell(Posted 2008) [#3]
Bwaaaahhh... That game's gonna give me nightmares !.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#4]
Wow thats really really hard.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#5]
Sorry, I couldn't compile this, I get an "appstub.linux signal handler 11" error as soon as it runs.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
I get an "appstub.linux signal handler 11" error as soon as it runs.

I've tracked it down to a problem having FreeType statically linked. When Cairo is called (like what GTK uses), it calls FreeType functions in order to render the UI. However, it is linked to a different version of FreeType, and therefore things get a little funky when the actual function call is made to the static library.

To resolve this, Pub.FreeType, on Linux, should really not build FreeType from source, but instead link to the shared object instead - like any good Linux app :-p

Ked(Posted 2008) [#7]
That is insanely hard!

markcw(Posted 2008) [#8]
Sorry you lost me, are you saying it won't compile properly until pub.freetype is modified?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
Nope. It compiles fine. It's a runtime issue.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#10]
So then bah.Cairo doesn't work on Linux for this reason?

Edit: ok, I can run the Cairo examples, ignore the question.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#11]
When Cairo is called (like what GTK uses)

FYI : http://www.osnews.com/story/9609

;-)

markcw(Posted 2008) [#12]
My eyes glazed over around the second paragraph, were you trying to make a point?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#13]
uggggg..... this is like a 2d rubic's cube... :)

spacerat(Posted 2008) [#14]
Yea it really is like a 2D Rubik's cube, you'll find that if you know how to solve Rubik's cubes properly then this puzzle becomes a lot easier. Suffice to say I can't solve Rubik's cubes so I find this puzzle as hard as you all do.

I think that after you get the puzzle down to three pieces out of place there is a way of systematically solving it, similar to the algorithms you get for solving Rubik's cubes. I might bug my brother to write a guide about it some time.