Article and video on post-processing effects

Community Forums/Showcase/Article and video on post-processing effects

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
This goes into quite a lot of detail on how post-processing effects are set up in our engine, and has some interesting information on the technical background of these effects:

Article:
http://www.leadwerks.com/files/Tutorials/CPP/Post-Processing_Effects.pdf

Video:
http://www.leadwerks.com/files/Tutorials/CPP/Post-Processing_Effects.wmv

FreakForFreedom(Posted 2008) [#2]
wow very interesting.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
..its a bit off topic, but i must say this C++ code looking really easy to follow..I like this...is there significant change in speed compared between code compiled out of C++ and Bmax??

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#4]
Can't get the video to load here? [edit] ok works now.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
"but i must say this C++ code looking really easy to follow.."

Once you get past the syntax, it's very similar to Blitzmax. ;)

Taron(Posted 2008) [#6]
There's been few questions so very fitting to your avatar there, than this one, Naughty dog! :D

I'm pretty sure you have virtually infinite flexibility within C++, if you have the nerv to explore all the other system procedural aspects, which you then would have to deal with yourself. Bmax is taking care of a hell of a lot of things for you, which are otherwise just ugly to even consider.

However, if you're down with it and think you can handle all the learning, too, I'm sure C takes you beyond the conceivable within bmax (as of now).

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#7]
I use the C syntax for the tutorials because it is a standard programmers of all languages should be able to follow along with. If I were to use anything else for the lessons it would make me look bad.

I think the worst aspect of C is that when your program crashes you actually have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to stop it, and it doesn't show you the line it crashed at. So I think C programmers are very good at producing very efficient, inflexible, uncreative code. In the same time, you could have tried ten different approaches with BMX and found the fastest. So I think on average BMX code will be much faster than C, because it is flexible enough to experiment with and optimize.

I was seriously looking at C++ for a while and I concluded if I had to use it I would rather just go sell insurance or something. And I think it will be phased out soon and become the new assembly. C++ doesn't make good economic sense when you aren't paid by the hour.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#8]
Huh? That's on the funny side, there, Lead! If you debug C, depending on what it is your programming, I guess, but a crash takes you exactly to where it has crashed, gives you a task history through which you can pursue the exact course of events that lead to your crash, supervise all desired variables and, again, depending on how and what you code, allows you to correct and continue... I am talking about using Visual Studio, actually, but it's probably the most pleasant way of writing anything from C over C++, C# and Java, to name a few.

Anyway, everything I've written earlier holds still true in that you have to know and deal with a lot more things than you'd have to using Bmax. That's why I just fell in love with it...hehe! I just wished I had an even stronger handle on audio, or that it was even more accessible. I can't say too much about that, yet, because I'm really just in the beginning and only at the surface of it.

Anyway, if you want to write something in C, I can only recommend using Microsoft's visual studio (as much as I dislike the corporation).

big10p(Posted 2008) [#9]
Aye. I've never had a problem writing/debugging C.

*(Posted 2008) [#10]
A good debugger or C language can debug the information you wanted. VC++ can even get the information from the error reports that can be used to debug your code.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#11]
Is that you doing your own voiceover on the video, Mr Leadwerks?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#12]
@Leadwerks

just curious..have you ever consider to implement LUA scripting over your system? I think that would be real beauty since Lua is quite spreaded scripting language in high end engines(Unreal, Crytek engine, GameBryo, IDTech) and its really easy to pick up and handy..open source and really nice...in that light, you could use it for your system over Eclipse Ide what is brutally beautiful since Eclipse already support LUA and Eclipse is too, free and Im very sure doesnt go under any professional IDE out there..Im just curious, do you have such plans, to simply have system entirely scriptable in LUA and completely avoid use of Bmax or any language in between??

taumel(Posted 2008) [#13]
I instantly was missing dot syntax like "effect.property=value".