Early piccy of new project (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/Early piccy of new project (WIP)

*(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here is a piccy of our up and coming title currently called Star Rogue

At the moment we have galaxy generation and planet surface generation done, what we want to add now is the creatures on the planet surface and some other bits to the game like orbitting planets, selecting a landing site etc. For those of us who remember Starflight this will be in a similar vein but will be randomly generated each time you start a new game.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#2]
i was reading through your worklogs the other day, and i'm really looking forward to checking this out.

*(Posted 2008) [#3]
I will post a piccy of the one of the four billion different planet surfaces as soon as I have one :)

*(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ok heres some pictures of the surface generator :)

Firstly we have a mixed planet

Next we have a volcanic world

Another mixed world

Next is the sandy worlds

And another one

The ship you can see in the images is the dropship, the foliage is a mantrap and spitter :)

More soon...

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#5]
very cool, i look forward to seeing more as it progresses and eventually be able to play it.

it looks similar in concept to something i've always wanted to do, which is make a game and take what i feel are the best parts of elite,freelancer,x2,x3 and any other cool space games and put my own take into it. but i'm sure that most people that progam and like those types of games would like to do something similar with their own twists.

my idea is too over ambitious for me at this time, but its something i'll toy around with off and on.

anyway keep up the good work and keep us updated i'm very interested in this project.

oh and btw that last pic kinda reminds me of the original dune game which isn't a bad thing, and the others make me think of starcraft.

*(Posted 2008) [#6]
Starflight was my favorite game its exploration potential was astounding for a game that game on a 720k floppy disk :). I just want to capture that sort of game and give the player that level of freedom.

Im just doing the coding my artist has come up with the decent graphics you see in the shots I just code the bits that arrange it to look loverly ;)

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#7]
Just some feedback...
I think it's a really interesting concept, but the vegetation in those shots do not seem to blend into the same art style as the terrain.

It's something hard to fix when all the art (terrain, scenery and sprites) are not created by the same person, but just a heads up on what I see, as I have made the mistake on this myself in the past.

*(Posted 2008) [#8]
The plants are there for the moment, I only have two by the artist atm. When I get more artwork I will add more to the planets also make it more 'specific' to certain planets :)

Thanks for the feedback tho :)

*(Posted 2008) [#9]
Ive got round to adding a day and night cycle, will post some piccies as soon as I got em

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#10]
as long as the orbits arnt as fast as a hamster on speed in a hamster ball, thats how the day/night cycle of one game id care not to meantion felt ;)

*(Posted 2008) [#11]
the twenty four hour day take quite long to go through :D .01 of an hour every second so approx 40 minutes for a day :D

*(Posted 2008) [#12]
Ok sand planet at night

And when a red sun rises over the planet at dawn

The dawns colour is specific to the sun that the planet is orbitting.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#13]
Wow !
I wish you good luck with this one :)
I simply love that kind of game with space exploration and planet colonization.

*(Posted 2008) [#14]
Another pic for ya, this time fog

The game will have a full weather system so no matter what the weather will still play a part :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#15]
How are you doing the fullscreen effect (the red and dark)?

By drawing a rectangle over the whole screen?

byo(Posted 2008) [#16]
Looks really good. Looking forward to it. :)

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#17]
How are you doing the fullscreen effect (the red and dark)?

setcolor?

*(Posted 2008) [#18]
yup setcolor it is :) also some lightblending :)

Fogging is done via alpha

BlitzMax language has loads of stuff like this :)

*(Posted 2008) [#19]
Fixed the jagged corners too :)

Now to add the rover and complete the weather

danjo(Posted 2008) [#20]
is elite a dirty word edz? :P

*(Posted 2008) [#21]
Elite Multiplayer is still in production, just sorting the networking :). Elite Multiplayer is a BIG project to undertake as everyone has their own ideas on how it should be done.

Gooneybird(Posted 2008) [#22]
Ed,

Which 3d engine are you using?

-Gooney

SpaceAce(Posted 2008) [#23]
Starflight, Yay! I remember using the wheel to line up the alien symbols to satisfy the copy protection query every time I started the game. I must have considered making a Starflight clone of my own a dozen times since I first got BlitzMax. I just thought of it again last week.

SpaceAce

*(Posted 2008) [#24]

Which 3d engine are you using?

BlitzMax itself nothing more.

Starflight, Yay! I remember using the wheel to line up the alien symbols to satisfy the copy protection query every time I started the game. I must have considered making a Starflight clone of my own a dozen times since I first got BlitzMax. I just thought of it again last week.

Well after Starflight 2000 which I wrote in DarkBasic Classic, ive been meaning to do a proper version so here we go :D. This one will be like the original Star Flight games where SF2000 was full 3d (SF2000 will get a new version coded after Star Rogue is released the code is there just needs some other bits to get it 100% like networking). Star Flight 2011 will be remade in BlitzMax with Minib3d :)

*(Posted 2008) [#25]
And now the 'adjusted' fog so its not so uniform :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#26]
Coming along nicely :)
So you're using SetColor and LIGHTBLEND?

*(Posted 2008) [#27]
yup

_PJ_(Posted 2008) [#28]
Wooooooooooo
that remminds me of Dune II on the Amiga :D

Looks fun!

(*whispers* finish Elite Multiplayer :P )

*(Posted 2008) [#29]

(*whispers* finish Elite Multiplayer :P )

(*whispers* go to http://edzup.satanicdreams.com/edzup and have a look there for Elite Multiplayer im still working on it just getting it sorted). Will also have to do my own 3d module as I want it to be perfect.