Glow

Community Forums/Showcase/Glow

stayne(Posted 2008) [#1]
Glow is very much still a work in progress but I wanted to get some feedback early on. Comments/suggestions good or bad are very welcome!

Controls:

Mouse: LMB = fire, RMB = thrust, Mouse = rotate
or
Keyboard: Left CTRL = fire, Arrow keys = movement

http://www.headpile.com/Glow/Glow.rar

Here's a screenshot, pretty bad quality and not a lot going on but I'm at work and can't risk enough game time to grab a nice chaotic shot (trust me...things DO get chaotic in Glow).

The majority of the code was done by Pongo. I implemented powerups, sfx and a few other odds and ends so far.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#2]
i love this its a lot of fun. most asteroids remakes seem pretty boring to me but this one was a lot of fun. u were right it does get chaotic. great work!

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#3]
Before anyone asks,... yes, this is a newer version of the one posted earlier by me. Stayne has added a bunch of things in and has made it much better than it ever was before.

Well worth a download.

I see you've been pushing the high score up again too!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Looks good! I love that glowing line effect. Interesting though how people will whinge about match-3s all being clones with just different graphics and bit of variation when of course the same is true of many genres including asteroids clones.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks guys, there's still a whoooole lot to do. I'm glad it runs ok :).

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#6]
Yah I was gunna say isnt this just asteroids with different graphics ;-p

What I'd like to see with glowing lines is something other than just straight lines all over the place, and more complex shapes.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#7]
.rar updated, you can now level up. Still needs tweaking, a bit tough getting to level 2 but it gets easier. Hopefully someone will figure out how to level up without me telling :).

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
Is this blitz3d? Just curious.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#9]
Aye, B3D.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#10]
There are a number of things that would require you telling, Stayne! I love the game, because for some reason it feels so incredibly smooth that it's just pleasant to carefully move about. Love the particles and like the overall look.
I don't like the score popping up on yourself, that is irritating and simply unpleasant, I would much rather have what ever it means (combo bonus?) happen in the combined areas center of where it was accomplished or so... or on the last ship hit from that combo?
Except Triple shot and "I... eh... Iron... Ionize... Incrdible... Indestructable shield" or what ever "I" is supposed to stand for, the rest of them makes no sense to me (F? M? S?).

What would be beautiful is gradually altering levels as you'd simply have spawing patterns of different types of enemies for a level and then virtually blend between the patterns. By pattern I mean "ship type, spawning amount, frequency of spawning, amount of ships spawned". A rather constant exchange from plenty of dumb ships to super few smart ones. An occasional chase with a single smart ship would be a riot.

Anyway, congrats, I think you on to one heck of a wonderful time-sweetener for plenty of cubicals, hahaha, and a good amount of homes. Rock'n'roll!

stayne(Posted 2008) [#11]
Great ideas Taron (especially having the combo number show up at the last ship hit, it is rather annoying to have the ship covered in numbers..even for a second) also thanks for the kind words!

Taron(Posted 2008) [#12]
MAN, I want an update bitterly!!! I still love this game and find myself really itching to see it evolve! ...I just wonna play it! 8)

stayne(Posted 2008) [#13]
Now that I found the source (which I thought I had lost due to a USB drive failure) I'll start working on it again.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#14]
Y A Y !!!!!
I'm sincerely full of joy! AWESOME!

And CONGRATS!

8)))

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#15]
Stayne,

back up your work dude! Its too precious to be lost amongst the ether.

IPete2.

GregBUG(Posted 2008) [#16]
wow i like and run fine on my linux box (using wine!)

CONGRATS!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#17]
Hey Stayne, what ever happened to that 3rd person game you were in the middle of making? It looked pretty interesting. Remember, with the 3d character from 3dbud?

stayne(Posted 2008) [#18]
Yyou have a great memory! Almost all the models and textures were coming from an individual that I was working with (http://crypthunters.blogspot.com). He bailed on me and switched to Neoaxis so I stashed the code (world editor, etc.) and pressed on with other things. That was the last time I will ever join an indie dev team again (outside of this forum of course).

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#19]
Yep, tell me about it. It's nigh on impossible to get someone to work for free, especially an artist. Coding i think has it's rewards, and your pretty much in control of how the game develops and plays, whereas the artist is giving you models/textures and hoping it comes to something good.

Still sucks though... Thats why i'm learning to model!