ShellShock

Community Forums/Showcase/ShellShock

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've been doing a bit of drive cleaning the last few days, and have decided to release some of my WIP's

ShellShock is my adaption of the game Combat. It started a few years ago with a render I put together.

I thought it would be cool to play a game that looked like that, so I mocked up this.

Then I sat on it for about 5 years before I finally got around to making anything.

The graphics are still placeholders at this point, so the screenshots don't carry very well. You really need to see it in motion to get an idea of what is going on.

Check the readme! There are many answers in there. Screen res, fullscreen vs. windowed, and controls for up to 4 players can all be configured in the .ini

Get it here!

This is still a work in progress, so there are things missing like collisions between tanks and AI, right now the AI is very A and not I in any way!... see the readme for a list of things to be added.

Basic default controls:
Arrow keys turn/raise barrel
Ctrl accelerate
alt reverse
space fire

All controls are mapped to mame defaults so this is supported on a cabinet. I play on this.

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#2]
Link does work for me sorry :(

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#3]
Oops,... fixed now.

Missed one letter!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#4]
very entertaining!

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thats fun. I like the way you can't simply stay in one place and fire because of the kick back of the gun.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
wow.....this could be fantastic!

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
Kewl!

Doiron(Posted 2008) [#8]
I really like the feel (camera movement, recoil, particles, player movement) as there is clearly a lot of attention to detail. It already looks very polished.

Be aware that Eidos already published a game named Shellshock (Shellshock: Nam '67 to be precise)!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2008) [#9]
This is a great little test demo. I think it's pretty cool.

puki(Posted 2008) [#10]
I think the tanks look really cute and cuddly - sort of like baby hedgehogs with long noses, sniffifing about, looking for food.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#11]
Pongo, this is really good too. What else you got on your hard disk besides this and Glow? Let's see some more.

You really need to finish these and release them. Well, Glow is finished, but this needs to be finished as well.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#12]
Cute little tank render!

Taron(Posted 2008) [#13]
I'm with TaskMaster on that one! Great stuff! I love the feel of them both. It's almost transcending any need to be innovative just by the smoothness and playability of them. Loads of fun and great quality!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#14]
The demo ist really cool. The movements are nice and make some fun.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#15]
Thanks for all the comments on this.

This project has been sitting quietly on my hard drive for a while now, so it's good to hear all the positive comments. Hopefully it's enough motivation to get back on it.

My main goal when producing this was simplicity, and that it had to run on an arcade machine with just a joystick and 2 buttons. It was nice to limit things down to these basics, because I think it really focused things where they need to be without adding complicating factors in. I like the plodding along gameplay, followed by really intense moments when you get in a close shootout with a friend. When there is full time intensity it all gets lost somewhere.

Anyways, my plan for this is to make some more levels, and even allow for custom levels to be made. The title screen and config menu will need to be created still, and that game flow logic portion is always my problem spot. Then I will need to polish up the graphics a bit and then it's out the door!

And to answer Taskmaster,... I've got a few more thing I could dig up, but they may be better left out of sight! I work up a lot of concepts, and if I don't feel they bring anything new, or are not that fun to play, they go straight to the "abandoned" folder. NeonBlast is a good example of this because while I thought it was fun to play, it was just another Geometry wars knockoff, and I didn't feel like further developing something that simply wasn't bringing anything new.