A quick freebie space shooter

Community Forums/Showcase/A quick freebie space shooter

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#1]
Edit: Check out the newer version by Stayne here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80759

This was a quick space shooter I put together to test my SS system.

Controls are all mouse,... left/right to rotate, right button to thrust, left button to fire. There are also keyboard controls if you prefer,... check the readme.

Enjoy!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Not bad. Gets very tough, very quickly though. Only scored 11,650.

Found it much easier to play using the keyboard.

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah, mouse is hard.. Is there a key to fire? (instead of using arrows and mouse to fire)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
CTRL to fire.

Cursor L/R to turn, Cursor Up to accelerate.

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
CTRL to fire.
I just found it.. :D

Interesting game, reminds me of gridwars. IMO the game should have boundaries instead of reflecting the player to the other side when he goes out of bounds.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#6]
See the readme for all the keys.

There isn't a whole lot too this,... more of a "see how long you can survive" game than anything. It does ramp up pretty quickly, but just think of it as a quarter muncher that is good for a few minutes of play here and there.

This game itself is really a test of my single surface system. It all started with wanting to rewrite my Neon Blast game, which is a Geometry Wars game that was posted here before Grid Wars.

Here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=55011#616071

Edit:
Just had a play of Neon Blast. That is a pretty old build so things have changed since then. Anyways, NeonBlast is a much better game than Glow, but the whole point of Glow was to build the new engine, and make it mouse driven, instead of the joypad required with Neon Blast.

jsp(Posted 2008) [#7]
Nice! Also for me the keyboard does it, no chance using the mouse.

The window content was scrambled for some time when I minimized/maximized the window.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#8]
I love it with the mouse! It's VERY smooth, too! I find it really inspiring in terms of presentation, smoothness and control! Great job!

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hehe,... I'm glad I left the keyboard controls in then!

The best way to play it is with an arcade cabinet though. I have a cab and use the spinner to turn the ship and the arcade buttons for the controls. Unfortunately I can't count on people to have spinners, so I had to compromise a bit. ;)

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#10]
Here is a more recent build of Neon Blast.
http://www.andimages.com/proofs/pongo/blitz/neonblast.zip

This was made before the single surface system was built, so it was at the point where things needed to be re-done. The pause when you get hit is not a bug,... just a delay put in to signify you have died.

You will need a dual analog joypad to play this game. The first time you play the config will run to set that up.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#11]
Lol I closed out of it but the music keeps playing. I can't get it to turn off. But I like the music so ohh well. It is a good thing :)

[edit] 5 minutes later... This music is kind of getting annoying. Is it supposed to do this, is it a flaw with the game, or is it a flaw with my cpu?

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#12]
Well that's a bit odd.

Which game? Can you repeat it? Does it do it every time? If so, what OS?

I'm guessing that you didn't close the game, but minimized it instead. Check your running tasks.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
Neat, looks great! Nice effects. Sounds good too.

When I start it the window is partly off the left-hand side of the screen and there is some desktop showing on the right hand side. I'm only running desktop in 1024x768.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#14]
hmmm...

I logged off and my speakers were still playing it. I guess it is a problem with my speakers.

What is a single surface system?

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#15]
Grey-

I don't think I can control the starting window position from Blitz, but you can change the screen res and whether or not it plays fullscreen by editing the .ini file.

Billp(Posted 2008) [#16]
I'm getting a mav when trying to run glow

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#17]
Glow:
i think its a pretty neat game and i like the mouse control but i found once things started getting crazy i started getting all panicy and quickly lost my barings between shoot and thrust.

side note -- same as GA with 1024x768 and the window issue, also on the title screen a part of the 'W' in GLOW is cut off and the 'AY' in play is cut off.

Neo Blast:
i think its pretty cool also but had a bit of slow down here and there ( prob my crappy computer). i missed having smart bombs but o'well.

side note -- didn't the creator of GridWars (can't remember who it is) get a cease and desist. just thought i'd through that out incase theres a chance you could get into trouble. it was so long ago, i can't remeber the exact details.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#18]
Did you unzip the folder?

If you try to run the .exe from within the .zip file it will not find the media in the data folder and give you a mav.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#19]
Very nice! Like the music and it looks very polished.

Works fine at 1024 x 768 here - windowed or fullscreen.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#20]
also on the title screen a part of the 'W' in GLOW is cut off and the 'AY' in play is cut off.
Yeah I got that too.

@Pongo: Just thought I'd mention it as you may need to know depending on how you plan to distribute this game and future games because users won't want to be editing ini files :-)

Xip(Posted 2008) [#21]
13050p

not bad, and it is a bit hard... but it feels like the slow turn speed makes it even harder.

and there was a bit to many sprites for my system, so it lagged a bit.

but other than that, i think it is a very nice game, nice work :)

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#22]
Those with the letters cut off,... are you running it windowed or full screen? I'm guessing that you are running it windowed and the window is shifted to the side since the .ini has a resolution higher than your monitor res. If it is something else, I'd like to know, because that should not be happening.

The real problem was that I had originally set the .ini to windowed 640x480,... I figured that everyone would be able to run that res with no issues, but then I changed the .ini for my monitor before I zipped it up.

I'm also not too concerned about users that can't figure out how to edit an .ini file. The readme file is there for a reason too, although I know most people won't read it. I have made it as easy as possible, and if the .ini file is missing or screwed up the program reverts to defaults. Most of the things I make have an audience of me, plus a few people I may send a copy too.

If I ever do make a game that is released to the general public, there will be menus that allow things to be set, but the .ini files will still work as well.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#23]
i only tried it very briefly last night as i was in the middle of something else plus it was late and i was tired. today upon editing the config file for fullscreen, it was fine.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2008) [#24]
like it

around 3000 points using mouse
arverage 5000-6000 using keys

15mins playtime

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#25]
20200 first try, using the mouse. Man, that is a great game!

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#26]
Nice, nice.

Bit of an issue with the resolution though: if I set the .ini file to be any sort of widescreen resolution (my monitor is natively 1920x1200, for example), then it works perfectly as far as filling the screen and not stretching, but the display at the top is cut off (so no indication of scores or shield). Same deal whether it's fullscreen or windowed.

If it's a 4:3 resolution (fullscreen or windowed), it doesn't cut it off.

Apart from that, it's all good (22050 after a couple of goes, with mouse), except you can't ESCape out of it from the title screen (or more specifically, from anywhere other than in-game). Not a biggie, but worth a mention. :)