Please test this little online shooter. (BMax)

Community Forums/Showcase/Please test this little online shooter. (BMax)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#1]
Coded In Blitzmax. It's just a demo to see how well the plug in is working. The plug in is OSA and is available here:

http://www.osakit.com/

The test page is here:

http://jgoware.com/bugshoot.htm

Could you please answer a couple of questions? Thanks.

a) Did it run?

b) Did it resize your browser window? Your browser window should stay the same.

c) Any problems downloading/installing the plug in?

If there were any problems or wierdness, please reply with your OS and browser version. Thanks. :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#2]
It worked, Windows XP, Firefox (though it actually uses IE's engine in Firefix).

I ran it with my browser in window mode and it did not resize my browser.

The routine for installing OSAKit needs some work though. The popup asking if it was done installing appeared before my browser even began downloading the file. So, it is very misleading...

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks TM! :)

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's not very nice to ask a user to install a .exe file when using Linux :-)

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#5]
a) Yes, ff3 XP

b) Nope

c) N/A Already had it installed

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#6]
a) didn't work in chrome, worked fine in firefox 3

b) nope

c) no

Foppy(Posted 2008) [#7]
It didn't work in IE 6.0 (SP 3).

The yellow bar pops up to warn me about Active X; I click it and select the option to install the Active X control; a window appears to tell me the installation has been blocked because the publisher is unknown and cannot be confirmed (or something like that in Dutch).

Normally I use Firefox but I thought let's try IE.

I could probably change some settings to let it install anyway.

In Firefox it does work. (No problems.) It did not resize the window. However, it did move the focus back to IE in which I was typing this post, hiding the Firefox browser window. (Perhaps it didn't actively move the focus to IE but at least the Firefox window lost it.)

EOF(Posted 2008) [#8]
Tested with Opera + XP SP3
Game runs, no resize, installs fine

Taron(Posted 2008) [#9]
a) yup, runs fine and smooth
b) (IExplorer Version7) resized the window :{
c) no problems with the plugin

MGE(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks for the replies!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2008) [#11]
I got the same as Foppy for IE6.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#12]
Doesn't work in FF3/Vista SP1.

We're Sorry

Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and windows when it restarts.

To help us diagnose and fix the problem, you can send us a crash report.

Report contents:

Add-ons: {3f963a5b-e555-4543-90e2-c3908898db71}:8.0,{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.05,{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.07,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.0.3
BuildID: 2008092417
CrashTime: 1222980867
InstallTime: 1222524106
ProductName: Firefox
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 15
StartupTime: 1222980858
Theme: classic/1.0
URL: http://jgoware.com/bugshoot2.htm
UserID: 11fa2360-4208-4b6a-9e35-570ce5b84df9
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 3.0.3

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
Probably best not use use any WinAPI calls with this (like my framework uses) because crap knows what window handle they'll be trying to read and write from...

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#14]
a) Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP) crashed browser on Chrome/Firefox 3. I'll turn it off later and try again.
b) Not that far
c) No

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#15]
a) Did it run?
Yes in Opera

b) Did it resize your browser window? Your browser window should stay the same.
No, brower window stayed the same

c) Any problems downloading/installing the plug in?
nope

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#16]
didn't work for me in ie7 -- wouldn't install because publisher couldn't be verified.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#17]
Ok I turned off DEP and it works fine:)

a) Yes Firefox 3.0

b) No stayed the same size

c) Nope everything ran fine

Killed some weird baddies and turned it off:D

MGE(Posted 2008) [#18]
It appears the problem worth looking into is the auto browser resizing that's happening in some IE versions. So if you have IE please test it. Thanks.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#19]
Ran in latest IE, all it did for me was maximize the browser. But it doesn't constantly do that or anything.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#20]
"Ran in latest IE, all it did for me was maximize the browser. But it doesn't constantly do that or anything. "

It's not supposed to be doing that, and that's the problem. Thanks for the info!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#21]
why does it say OSAkit demo(will only run for 5 minutes?

(i tested it in IE7 and firefox and it worked fine)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#22]
JP - Sounds like you have an older version of their player installed?

Update: Thanks for everyone testing this. According to the developer, there might be a problem with the plug in. They are looking into it. If they update the plug in, I will update this demo.

But as of right now, I'm not 100% convinced if it's Blitzmax's fault or the plug in's fault,for the auto browser maximizing before the game is run.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#23]
I still have yet to do more work with osakit, but from the little time I used it, it seemed to have a few flaws. It's definitely worth using, but you may want to think about workarounds instead of long delays.

Why not have the page check whether the user has the appropriate properties (Browser, OS, etc) that seem to work best with osakit/your application, and if not, forward them to a page telling them what does work best, with the alternative of downloading the application?

Even if the problem is on blitzmax, there will still be plenty of people incapable of accessing it via osa due to access limits, computer illiteracy, and faulty browsers (along with faulty browser settings).

MGE(Posted 2008) [#24]
Hi Retimer, the page itself is nothing more than a test of OSA. So far it has an acceptable compatibility with IE browsers. This is the only solution for putting a standard .EXE in a webpage. So we have to take the good with the bad.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#25]
You only looking for IE tests?

No resizing on Chrome or Firefox, and also works fine for the both. Just to let you know.

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#26]
Crashes my ff2 in vista64.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#27]
@smilertoo

You might have Data Execution Prevention on(default), it crashes programs that it doesn't like:). I turned it off and restarted computer, works fine.