hack3r Beta V0.91 Demo!

Community Forums/Showcase/hack3r Beta V0.91 Demo!

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#1]
The new V0.92 demo of hack3r is now available from

www.UberGeekGames.com

[edit]:
The website is up and running; I fixed the MAV error - the game works!!; I redid it to be more user friendly; new screenshots are posted; and finally, a credits screen has been added!

In V0.92, I added another level and boss, a demo level, and many bug fixes!! Even a joystick deadzone editor!!!

I have now moved to a level based system. Included are levels 1-2!
The first stage of the level has you solving puzzles and destroying security bots. After you make it to the end, you start in the main level from earlier versions. If you survive that, then it concludes with a massive boss fight!!!
If you haven't been back already, the website has been given a massive overhaul. It now looks much better, and all the screenshots work!

Feedback is needed!

Enjoy!!

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#2]
Your website looks better now, although I have a comment about the navigation...

The Index page is fine, but perhaps you should refer to it as "Game Index" or "Home" as that is what web users would be more accustomed too.

And on the game's individual page, 'Home' is misleading, because it takes you to the home of the game, not the web page. Perhaps you could make it a News section, General Overview, or something else so that users don't get confused with Index AND Home.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#3]
I get a MAV as soon as I select an option to play.

I noticed that you have not given Pongo any credit for using his joypad configuration tool. I think you should out of courtesy.

Also, you don't need to start a new thread every time you upload a demo. A certain individual has done this in the past and didn't win himself many friends.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#4]
website seems to be down ATM

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
i do hope that with these new threads for new builds were not going to have a xylvian candyworld LoD 1.11.11.1111a released today style thread a day

edit:
doh didnt read all of the responses
Also, you don't need to start a new thread every time you upload a demo. A certain individual has done this in the past and didn't win himself many friends.

an update on the first thread with new/changed download link and new screen shots with a repeat in the bumping post with more gumph would be better

and or a worklog

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'm in the process of creating a credits option - as soon as it is implemented Pongo and Nate will get credit for their contributions.

*notes to self*

1) Fix MAV error ASAP.
2) Redo game page.
3) No new threads unless absolutely necessary. :-)

Thanks for the input!!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#7]
Playing game...

I get a memory acess violation so I can't play the game. :-(

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yeah see but unlike Xylvan, ubergeek seems to have the mental capacity to learn and adapt.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#9]
I fixed the MAV error and reuploaded - the game is now fixed!
I redid the web site; it is now more user-friendly!
I also added a credits screen on the main menu of the game- Pongo and Nate are credited! :-)

Enjoy!!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#10]
Couldn't get my PS2 joypad working so had to use the keys. One thing which Pongo's joypad config does not do is allow for setting a deadzone, below which, any joypad movement is ignored. Some of my pads are looser or stiffer than others so without it the ship could be moving without you touching the joypad. Hope that makes sense? The game looks and plays exactly the same, including your 15 plays nonsense, 1 of which I used up configuring the joypad and having to quit and restart.

BUG : The score and time displays overlap each other once you've scored more than a certain number of points.

Only played for 5 mins but that was enough as it's not really my kind of game. I didn't make it past the first wave. I'd recommend only posting updates when something significant has changed otherwise people will get bored very quickly.

Good luck!

Stevie

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#11]
[Stevie G]:
Did you download V0.91?
It sounds like you're playing V0.9075. In V0.91 there are levels and bosses, not just enemy waves...

BUG : The score and time displays overlap each other once you've scored more than a certain number of points.

That only happens in very low graphics modes. Try changing to a higher graphics mode. Maybe I'll add something that changes the font to a smaller size depending on the graphics mode.

I will work on something so you can modify the joystick deadzone.

Thanks!!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#12]
I played v0.91 but didn't even get past the gate thing.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#13]
It seems that there is no second level :( The first level was fun but you must include some kind of instruction on how to get past the lazer things :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#14]
@Nate:
Do you mean there is no second *level* level, or do you mean that you didn't get to the boss?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#15]
I got past all of the lazer things and when I hit the black cube. After that I got to the original level where you are one the green square.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#16]
Then everything is working perfectly - keep going once you're there, and eventually the boss will show up. Sorry, I should have made that more clear..

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#17]
uber don't call that file winlog.o because that could overwrite a system file. Call it something that a file would never be called but don't make it suspicious.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#18]
Hack3r V0.92 has been released!!!

A huge amount of bug fixes, updates, and content has been added!
The new version doesn't have the '15 plays' stuff - it is just limited to running until October 17th, 2008!
Check it out!!!

New features include:
Added a Demo level for new hack3rs!
Fixed the transparency problems!
Added a targeting helper icon!
Added 'spawn' effect for enemies!
Added new enemy type!
Added a new level - and a new boss!
Added lives to the games!

As always, feedback is needed!
[edit]
Two things I forgot to mention in the docs:
1) You can press the two key on the keyboard to advance to the next level
2) The one key takes screenshots

Thanks!!!

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#19]
Hurry - the demo is running out!

I know everyone's busy, but I really need feedback so I know what to do with my game! :-)

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#20]
Perhaps, if you want (constructive) feedback, you shouldn't time limit your game (especially to a specific date) until you have something finished enough that's it's worth keeping out of the hands of people?

I like the way you've listened to and taken on board any criticism you've received, but I promise, at this stage, no-one's going to steal your game.

plash(Posted 2008) [#21]
Perhaps, if you want (constructive) feedback, you shouldn't time limit your game (especially to a specific date) until you have something finished enough that's it's worth keeping out of the hands of people?
Well-said.

And don't expect everyone to just jump in and help out.. It seems the forums have been dying off quite a bit recently.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#22]
Make the game that YOU want to make. You should not be reliant on others to steer you to the finished article.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#23]
It's an ugly and rocky road into selling stuff and you shouldn't rush to hard! Relax and make yourself understand that your life does not depend on it! Make friends and share fun, using it to brew something strong enough so that your friends will encourage and help you to sell your thing. From what I see, you're running out of more things than the people would by october 17th... LOL! ;)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#24]
Thanks for everyone's input - you have been very helpful!!
I'll keep everything in mind, and keep working on my game!