hack3r Beta v0.905 Demo + website released!!!

Community Forums/Showcase/hack3r Beta v0.905 Demo + website released!!!

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#1]
[Edit]:
New! V0.9075 is here!! Download it now for a fresh demo!!!

[Edit]:
The site's graphics have just been fixed! Check it out!!

I've just launched a website for my game, hack3r!!
From there anyone can download the latest versions
of the betas and view screenshots!!!

www.UberGeekGames.com

For those new to my game, hack3r is an arcady action game that tasks you with controlling a green hack3r avatar and destroying security bots. Complete with powerups, sound effects, and addictive gameplay, hack3r is a very promising title.

Right now I need beta testers to give me honest feedback. What did you like about the game? What didn't you? How can I make this game better?

Suggestions are always welcome!

xMicky(Posted 2008) [#2]
Just a hint: On your website, under "Screenshots", "Screenshot 1" and "Screenshot 2" display no images (while "Screenshot 3" does), also the headline "hack3r Game Site" got an empty-Image-symbol at left.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#3]
Ubergeek this is urgent!!!

YOU INCLUDED THE SOURCE CODE IN THE DOWNLOAD!!!???? WHY???

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#4]
WHAT??!!!!

Please don't look at it or copy it - I'll take everything down immediately!!

Thanks for catching that!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
The image at the top left corner is pointing to a file on your C: drive.

Also, I don't think your CSS page is loading... unless its meant to look like..... like.... that?

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#6]
Could you please stick to one thread about this?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#7]
ok I swear I will not copy or sell it or anything just don't make that mistake again good thing it was a beta version :)

Sorry the looking at it part is too late. I had to look at it to see why you would include a bb file I obviously didn't know for sure what it was so I ran it and sure enough... It was your entire game :(

P.S. That code is really long :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#8]
I have disabled all downloads for the time being - somehow my source code was leaked. THIS WAS NOT INTENTIONAL. If you have any of my source code, please immediately delete it. Do not even look at it please!!!!!
I've spent almost a year working on this game!

@Nate the Great: Thank you SO MUCH for bringing this to my attention! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I will be reuploading the demo shortly.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#9]
also why limit it to 5 plays???

GfK(Posted 2008) [#10]
P.S. That code is really long :)
What, 84k? That's relatively tiny.

By the way - you should organise your files a bit. Graphics in one folder, sounds in another, etc...

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#11]
If it was limited to 5 plays, then it was an earlier version.
That is slightly reassuring, but still terrifying.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#12]
Gfk: To restate what I just posted:
THIS WAS NOT INTENTIONAL. If you have any of my source code, please immediately delete it. Do not even look at it please.

Please help me with damage control - who all has the source?!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#13]
Maybe it was my screen...

The bar on the side was almost impossible to see

[edit] ohhh my screen was in 640*480 not the usual 1440*900 that would explain a lot.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#14]
I do obviously but I won't have it for long :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#15]
Are you talking about the website, or my game?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#16]
your game

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#17]
Thank you.
I'm not sure how the source was leaked, unless I accidentally zipped my WORK folder instead of the DIST folder. Did it have lots of bb files, or just 1 or 2??

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#18]
It had only 1

Do not worry too much about leaking the source. I trust the people on this website, however I don't know about people who are not members of this website who might have randomly downloaded it the minute or so that it was up Anyway it is not a finished game so you need not worry :)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#19]
Tsust me, I'm not the least bit interested in your code.

I deleted it long ago.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thank you - both of you.
I am working on fixing this mistake.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#21]
ok if I run co op twice without reopening it, I get a memory acess violation

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#22]
I honestly haven't tested co-op very often..
This was most likely one of my 'in-between' sources that I was finishing for release - I must have accidentally zipped the work folder, and not the final folder.

Thank you so, so much for letting me know - the source could have been floating around on the net for days before I noticed!

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#23]
Thanks for the source. I will recompile it and slap a $14.95 price on it.

j/k Never downloaded it. Not my type of game.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#24]
do you have any bosses yet?

LOL GaryV

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#25]
You about gave me a heart attack!!!

Unfortunate that you don't like the game, but I'm very releaved no one else has the source. I hope.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#26]
Hehe. Nothing personal, I am not a fan of 3D, so much so I don't own B3D, just BMax.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#27]
@GaryV:

*deep sigh of relief*

@Nate:

No, but I'm thinking about it.. I just don't know how to implement it. Not the actual code of course-just where to put it in the game.
If I start having 'levels' people will start demanding more levels (as in meshes), and then more enemy types, and right now I'm trying to keep things simple.

Although, I suppose I could randomly have a boss warp in - that might be cool...

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#28]
@Nate:
I just unzipped the file and looked at my source (I still can't believe I did that!!!)...
It should have had 15 plays on it. And I hope you deleted the source, and are just playing the demo!! :-)

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#29]
Awe I'm too slow (haven't downloaded yet)... I was wanting to know how you limited the game plays. Other than that, I could make the game on my own, too bad for me though :(

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#30]
Not funny.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#31]
Well I clicked delete and I cleaned out my recycle bin but honestly IT WON'T GO AWAY PERMENANTLY NO MATTER WHAT I DO!!!

Let me explain a little more clearly. This laptop that I have is a Lenovo so everytime you create or modify something it saves it in a file that you cannot access unless you click the thinkvantage button at startup in which case it will reset your harddrive except for that one folder with everything which it will copy back to your harddrive so you don't lose any files.

You may ask why not melt down your computer. Well that would enlarge the problem because that file I talked about that has everything in it isn't on my computer, it is on a supercomputer that runs my network which I can't modify anything on.

but I only have 7 plays left so oh well.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#32]
@ gia_green_fire_ why would you want to limit your own game plays??? that makes no sense

@ubergeek

Did you use any of my code from my post?

If so please put me in your credits :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#33]
So I guess I'll have to trust you won't distribute it... (please don't!!!!)

And gia_green_fire_ wanted to know HOW I limited it.. Most likely to either break it, so he could play forever, or to use in his own projects...
Unfortunately, I can't disclose how it works without completely breaking my own security... Sorry.

Doiron(Posted 2008) [#34]
I have disabled all downloads for the time being - somehow my source code was leaked. THIS WAS NOT INTENTIONAL.

Just how zipping the source code among with the executables can be a leak?

I also really wonder who on earth would take the time to steal the source for such a game. Really, you still have a long way to go before someone would even consider the idea.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#35]
Okay - the website is back up and running, hopefully source-less now!!
For some reason, it still has that problem with the screenshots pointing to C. I'll work on that...

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#36]
@giagreenfire I don't know how ubergeek does it but I do know how I have done it.

You somehow find their my documents folder and make sure they don't already have a file named whatever you want to call it then hide a file that contains the number of plays somewhere in there. Then every time you run the game, it checks that file to see how many plays you have left. :) this is how I do it but I honestly have no Idea how uber does it sorry uber if this is how you do it.

@uber you can definitely trust me I will NEVER redistribute or copy or sell or recompile or... your code I have no reason to

Actually if bill gates offered me a couple billion dollars for the code, I would first ask you about it and if you accepted it, we could split it and each have a few billion dollars which would last a lifetime. :) This is not likely so don't get any ideas about offering bill gates the source code :)

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#37]
For some reason, it still has that problem with the screenshots pointing to C.
It is because you are using a web editor that blows dead bear. You can manually correct the links in notepad.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#38]
[Doiron]:
Just how zipping the source code among with the executables can be a leak?

Because it was 100% unintentional. If I was so paranoid as to limit gameplay, why on earth would I then give away the source?!! Then all you'd have to do is comment out 1 line of code, and you could play forever, thus rendering any work on a game limiting system USELESS!!!!!

I also really wonder who on earth would take the time to steal the source for such a game.

Because the game's mostly done. Anyone could then change it slightly, then try to sell MY original idea as their own. :-(

Really, you still have a long way to go before someone would even consider the idea.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. :-)
(And yes, I'm still working on it. That's why it's called 'beta' and not 'full release demo'.)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#39]
@Nate:
Thanks.

*on telephone*
"Hello, Mr. Gates, and do I have a deal for you!! This will totally replace solitaire..."

lol

@GaryV:
I'm using Mozilla because honestly my budget aspires to someday become 'shoestring'. It's terribly limited, but right now I don't need anything fancy. If you know of a cheap (read: free) program like that I'd love to know! And I'll try that notepad thingy, thanks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#40]
ubergeek yes that would be funny :) lol

I will definitely buy your game when it comes out so that will make up for me having your source code :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#41]
Cool! Thanks!!! :-D

The next release (which I'm working on right now) will incorporate that great little JoyPad app. Also, many many more control options!!

I'll keep you posted!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#42]

Unfortunately, I can't disclose how it works without completely breaking my own security... Sorry.

I'm afraid your security isn't very good - most folk will suss it pretty quickly, only took me 2 mins. Limiting the plays isn't the way to go as everyone seems to be saying to you. You should have some form of level structure and only show people a few of them with some enemies only available in the finished game.

The game's not bad but your ship moves far too slow for me and having just one life is a bit naff. I also think the game itself will run slow on older computers which you wouldn't expect from something which looks so simple. I think it's your polygon explosion routines. Am I right in thinking that it's the same one that's in the code archives by big10p?

Anyway, to be brutally honest the game didn't hold my attention long anough to play more than a few times. It is not an original idea - there are loads of far better, free alternatives. You should use them as a benchmark and keep improving what you have. BTW, is this your first Blitz game?

Good luck to you.

Stevie

p.s. I didn't download the version with your source. Remember and give Pongo some credit in your next version.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#43]
[Stevie G]:
I'm afraid your security isn't very good - most folk will suss it pretty quickly, only took me 2 mins. Limiting the plays isn't the way to go as everyone seems to be saying to you.

My security is just to deter most casual hackers (not the good kind!). And I'm releasing new versions so quickly it should hardly matter anyway. I just don't want anyone with a full version of my program out there!

You should have some form of level structure and only show people a few of them with some enemies only available in the finished game.

I'm kind of thinking about something like that. Right now my main priority is implementing all of the core features, and getting the gameplay and balancing nailed down.

The game's not bad but your ship moves far too slow for me and having just one life is a bit naff.

I'm fixing the slowness in the next version. And I'm giving serious thought about the life system.

I also think the game itself will run slow on older computers which you wouldn't expect from something which looks so simple. I think it's your polygon explosion routines.

Did you try adjusting the level of detail in the Options screen? :-)

Am I right in thinking that it's the same one that's in the code archives by big10p?

No. I'd like to look at them though - would someone mind posting a link? :-)
Thanks!

Anyway, to be brutally honest the game didn't hold my attention long anough to play more than a few times.

It is only beta, and -to risk sounding like that car insurance commercial - "I'm working on it." Thanks for letting me know, though!

There are far better, free alternatives as was pointed out in the other thread so you should use them as a benchmark and keep improving what you have.

I didn't see any free games similar to mine...
And hopefully any customers wouldn't either. :-)

BTW, is this your first Blitz game?

lol
No. Not even close.
But if you mean the first game I'm putting on the Blitz forums, and created a whole website to promote, then yes. :-)

Thanks for all the input!!!

Doiron(Posted 2008) [#44]
then try to sell MY original idea as their own.

If you look at yout last topic, you could realize that it isn't as original... it's an idea which spawns several inspired games each year since 1982.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. :-)

You should really look at the examples in the last topic to find ways to improve and polish it before believing that it would sell at least reasonably well. It can be done, but objectively there is still a lot of work ahead.

I didn't see any free games similar to mine...

Robotron, Llamatron, Smash TV, Mutant Storm, Geometry Wars, Bullet Candy, Ultratron, Hypertron 1 & 2, and loads of japanese shmups... and I'm mostly citing off the top of my head. I even posted some links to videos.

Because it was 100% unintentional. If I was so paranoid as to limit gameplay, why on earth would I then give away the source?!!

Well, usually the word 'leak' in the software industry is associated with someone finding a way to get someone's else source code, not by doing it yourself... that's simply called a mistake. :)

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#45]
FWIW, Doiron isn't trying to bash you or put you down. He is sincerely trying to help and is offering good advice.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#46]
@Doiron:

I'm calling it a leak because *I SWEAR* I deleted the bb source from that folder, BEFORE zipping it.

And, earlier when I was re-uploading the files to my website...

I deleted "hack3r_demo2.bb" from the dist folder. then I copied the folder onto a flash drive. I put the flash drive into another computer that had WinZip on it. I zipped the file, and copied the zip onto the flash drive. Then I look in the zip with Explorer and the bb file IS BACK!!!

Of course that bb goes into the trash. And I double check it on another computer before I put it in my laptop to upload to my website.

But the point is, I have no idea how the file came back. It must have happened the first time too, because I'm positive I deleted it the first time!!

That's why I'm officially calling it a 'leak'.
Besides, it feels much better to be able to blame it on my computer. :-)

But seriously - is this some kind of bug in Windows?!!

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#47]
@GaryV:
I know that, and I sincerely appreciate all the help everyone is giving me. I'm sure the game is waaaay better because of it!

Thanks, everyone!!! :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#48]
there is a bug with the player if you use + and - to zoom in the player has a hole right through the middle of him. it doesn' t look intintional.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#49]
hmm...

This is a fun game but I am down to 2 plays!!!

Here is a screenshot

http://dodownload.filefront.com/11908718//57a84389c65d286c8463bb45b3d1dea89cce8e5ed12e95edfefff2cb2286f6ef9d9f11b9ede137be

[edit] your security isn't very good you should limit demos in the future not in number of plays but in features

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#50]
Hmm.. Thar's because the turret is an entirely separete mesh...
I'll just move it down a bit! Thanks for catching that!

I'm really glad you like the game!!

[edit]:
I'll be releasing V0.9075 pretty soon.. I'll keep it to this thread for the time being. :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#51]
uber i meant if you zoom in and rotate the player around, there is a hole through the green part that looks very out of place

If you don't mind I will hack it very briefly so that I can show you this flaw without taking up my last two plays

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#52]
No need- I got it.
The faces on the mesh are just flipped wrong - easy enough to fix.
Thanks for catching that!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#53]
uber I think that the reason that your game runs slowly when you get into later levels is because you simply create spheres as bullets rather than using an ovalshaped sprite. I think changing it to a sprite would greatly improve preformance

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#54]
It doesn't run slow at all with everything maxed on mine (although I have a GeForce 8800 GTX) :-)

Yes, I do use a sphere - except
1) They are copies
2) They are freed and deleted as soon as they hit something (well, after the bullet spark effect)

As I free everythin as soon as I'm done with it, I'm not really sure what's causing the slow down...

Any ideas??

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#55]
The problem is most people don't have fast machines like ours and there are tons of bullets flying at the same time. This greatly increases the number of polygons on the screen at once. Sprites only have two polygons while spheres have many more.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#56]
Well...
I guess I could add some code that uses the Detail option (you've tried that, right??) and uses a sprite (aaah!!) if it's set to Low. And I could make sure that I'm using as few polys as possible when I'm creating the sphere...

By the way... What kind of specs do you have? It's good to know how my game runs on what kind of hard ware. :-)

Thanks.

[edit, in response to your edit]:
And sprites look much, much worse, and are harder to implement. :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#57]
if the sprites are made and handled correctly yes they are harder to impliment but are faster in the long run

I have a lenovo laptop

dual core • T7700 (2.4GHz) microprocessor

4 gb of ram

I have the following graphics cards

Intel PM965/GM965 graphics
128MB nVidia Quadro NVS 140M

Windows vista buisness 64 bit

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#58]
Not too shabby specs!
And it's good to know that my game works on Vista. (another bullet point for my website/eventual marketing campaign! woo-hoo!!!)
If you're having slowdown at high levels, then I'll definately look into sprites..

Have you tried using the Detail menu option?

thanks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#59]
yes I set detail to high and low and all inbetween.

By not too shabby specs do you mean my specs are really good or just ordinary. I don't know much about specs. I just copy and pasted them.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#60]
No, they're really good - especially for a laptop!! That rivals some desktops! (I bet it ways about 8 pounds though) :-)

If you're interested, my specs are listed on a bug report post here.
(maybe you can help with this problem, too!) :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#61]
Its relatively light maybe 3-4 pounds

what do you mean by maybe you can help with this problem too

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#62]
@Nate:
I meant with the bug report link I posted - been driving me crazy, and apparently noone can help me, as the thread is cold...

Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that hack3r V0.9075 has just been released (without source code)!!!
Download yours now!!

jsp(Posted 2008) [#63]
I'm afraid your security isn't very good - most folk will suss it pretty quickly, only took me 2 mins. Limiting the plays isn't the way to go as everyone seems to be saying to you. You should have some form of level structure and only show people a few of them with some enemies only available in the finished game.

I would vote for the same. It took me a few minutes more to set your counter to 140 million games left. Not that i wanted to play that much, i expected something more, but understand it's a beta version.

plash(Posted 2008) [#64]
I would vote for the same. It took me a few minutes more to set your counter to 140 million games left. Not that i wanted to play that much, i expected something more, but understand it's a beta version.
:D

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#65]
awe no source code this time :( bummer

JK

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#66]
The point of the security is a deterrent to casual hackers...
Remember that most people aren't programmers and won't know the difference between a multimillion dollar master security suite from a five-minute hack...

Just please don't release the codes or how you cracked it!!
Thanks.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#67]
@Nate:

Hardy har har.

@Plash:
Did you even try my game?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#68]
what is the difference besides the really small window and impossible to see options screen

plash(Posted 2008) [#69]
Did you even try my game?
Not really, I have a thing for.. uhm.. representation. But I guess as the saying goes.. "You learn from your mistakes."

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#70]
what is the difference besides the really small window and impossible to see options screen

Mostly that you can change control schemes in the options (that was a total pain to re-code), and I integrated the ConfigJoy applet into the options..

I don't know why it's impossible to see - did you try resetting the gfx mode from options?

It could be that gfx.dat was corrupted - try deleting it from the download folder and maybe that will fix it.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#71]
@Plash:
Let me reclarify:

I spent all of 20 minutes on this website.
It's sole purpose at the moment is for you to download my demos.
THIS IS NOT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION ANYTHING REMOTELY FINAL/PERMANENT.
Please bear with me. I am focusing on the GAME, not the website at this moment.

Also, I'm uploading a fix for the broken image paths right now - try again in 2-3 minutes.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#72]
hey I figured out how you hack it it is way too easy you should at least hide it a little more if you can

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#73]
Okay, I reuploaded my website - and all pictures load correctly! Yay!
For some logic-defying reason Mozilla Composer added ".../website/" prefix to all of my image tags when I checked 'relative to URL'. I fixed it easilly enough via Notepad...

Anyone know of a good, cheap (free) web authoring suite??

[edit]:
@Nate:
Well I guess now you won't have to worry about running out of demos... Again, please - no one share this little secret!! :-)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#74]
@Nate:
(totally off topic)
Now I have laptop-envy... Where did you get that?!!

[edit]
Also, I changed the player speed to be a tad faster.
For some reason though, Co-Op seems to be broken..
Any info on this would be helpful!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#75]
ordered it strait from the company that manufactures it custom made. did I mention it has a touch screen? It is the best computer I have ever had!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#76]
I like the old version with the source code better because I could get to the orange guys by getting infinte lives :(

oh well

[edit] A ha I found the source code! Now I can get infinite lives :)

JK

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#77]
@Nate:

*drooling*

Now I have uber-laptop envy... :-)
Lenovo, you said?

*googling*

plash(Posted 2008) [#78]
Please bear with me. I am focusing on the GAME, not the website at this moment.
What website? ... Ahh that one. The website was not even remotely what I was referring to.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#79]
I guess this means V0.90825 will have a life system.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#80]
Its not as good as your specs is it???

[edit] A ha I found the source code! Now I can get infinite lives :)

JK

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#81]
@Nate:
Please tell me that wasn't from any of the downloads from my website!!!!

@Plash:
Would you be more specific?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#82]
uber did you see the jk at the bottom?

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#83]
@Nate:
My main desktop has a much faster video card - 768mb memory vs. 128mb... we both have 4gb ram... But I have a quad core cpu...
I've been kind of looking at a better laptop (this one is about as fast as a depressed tortise)...

And no, I don't have any touch screens on anything :-(

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#84]
Yes, I see jk at the bottom of your posts.. What does tha--ooohhh, joking! Got it. ha. ha. ha.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#85]
Uber I know this will kill your laptop envy but that is why I am saying it. My laptop cost $2000 and I probably could have gotten 2 desktops with your specs for that price.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#86]
As I like to say in these situations: "No one ever said eternal bliss comes cheap" (until the next upgrade cycle) :-)

Tell me about that touch screen again :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#87]
back on topic...

you still have that bug with the hole in the player. This isn't really attractive obviously. :) also the camera can go through the ground :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#88]
Actually, the only way you could get anything close to my specs for around $1200 is by getting a no-name brand mass-built system :-P.
The sad thing is that they usually ship with 6gb of painfully slow RAM. Not that the average buyer will know what that means, just that 6 is larger then 4 (hopefully) until they realize that they rarely even use 2gb of that ram...

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#89]
Sorry, sorry.. Yes, back on topic..
I know about that - I though I fixed it in Blender. Apparently not.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#90]
Any other bugs, comments? Anyone? Helloooo?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#91]
you could do a copymesh and flip mesh to make everything two sided.

Also another way to get a cheap computer that has specs twice as good as any computer out there is to build it yourself that is if you know what you are doing :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#92]
*scoffs*
Build a computer? No sweat. Would've build my Dell, but I was pressed for time.. And they had a sweet deal on it. My next rig will most definately have lots and lots of neon incorporated in it. Goal: To make my office look like the Enterprise is landing in the dark. :-)
But I was talking laptops, anyway. I know how to build those too (way easier than it's made out to be), but I doubt I could get a touch screen in it...

Back on topic:
I (quickly) tried the copy/flip/parent mesh before I compiled V0.9075. It made everything screw up.. Definately going to be hopefully maybe fixed next release...

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#93]
Hmm...

It worked for me when I **cough**hacked**cough** your game where you included your source code. did you color it green?

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#94]
Yup...
I guess now I have a coding buddy on this one. :-)
I assume it was in the CreatePlayers func, looking something like this:

function CreatePlayers()

blah
blah
blah

... p\mesh=loadmesh""
blah
blah

TempMesh=copyentity(p\mesh)
FlipMesh TempMesh
EntityParent TempMesh, p\Mesh

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#95]
uber do you mind if I display 9 lines of code(out of 198 pages) that you change in order to fix this or did you fix it yourself? I'm sure you wouldn't mind but please tell me if you do.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#96]
As long as it's just from the CreatePlayers func - nothing much anyone could do with that.. As I said, it crashed on me when I tried it.. Thanks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#97]
here it is

p\mesh=LoadMesh("hack3r_player2.b3d")
	ptmp = CopyMesh(p\mesh)

FlipMesh ptmp

EntityColor ptmp,0,255,0
	EntityColor p\mesh,0,255,0
	s#=.65
	ScaleEntity ptmp,s#,s#,s#
	ScaleEntity p\mesh,s#,s#,s#

EntityParent ptmp,p\mesh

This works like a charm for me :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#98]
Thanks - already shut down my main rig-I'll test it tomorrow.
Feel free to edit out the code if you like, but I doubt it's of any use to anyone else... :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#99]
I don't understand a lot of it because it isn't heavily commented but it wasn't built for me to understand unintentional "Programming buddies" can be good sometimes

If there is any significant code that I find a problem with, I will tell you via email so that no one else gets a hold of your code :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#100]
@Nate:
I was just rereading your earlier post about the source being on a supercomputer that runs your network..
Does this mean that the source is 'out there', accessable to any determined hacker?!

Ironic that a game called hack3r could be in danger from real hackers... :-(

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#101]
@Nate:
Whoo-hoo!! For once my lazy programming practices work in my favor!!!
At least I name my function intelligently, and tab my code for at least some readabillity...

Hey - just broke 100 posts - Do I win something?? :-)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#102]
no The only person that would have acess to it is me because it has a "watermark" on it that makes it only acessable to me and the network admin. The good thing Is I am the network admin :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#103]
Cool. What kind of 'supercomputer' is it? Like a z10?? :-)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#104]
Also let me know by forum first (no code!!), as my email is private. Thanks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#105]
I don't really know It is my school's supercomputer that they hide in the janitors closet wich is really ironic but noone would expect it to be there. Anyway it is hard to explain because I go to a laptop campus and everyone has laptops but you can only acces information with your watermark It is safe do not worry :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#106]
maybe if you email me I can get your email so I can email you

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#107]
It would be cool if you gave each triangle a 1 or a 0 texture so they would explode into many 1s and 0s.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#108]
A lot has been said since I said what I said about the game play limiting.. but.. I only wanted to know how because I'm still learning coding and it wouldn't hurt to know that. I don't steal other peoples code and don't intend on EVER doing so. I wouldn't sell or give away other peoples stuff either, it's just wrong, unless I had permission.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#109]
here are the basics

you simply make a folder in the windows directory using the systemproperty command and call it something like alsewpofw9432759347.oio or anything silly like that. Then you can save the number of plays to that file and each time you run the game, read the number of times that the game has been played from that file. If the number of plays is equal to or greater than the maximum then you end the game.

I still can't figure out how uber does it but that is what I would do. I think I learned that in the code archives somewhere. :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#110]
there is another way that is more secure but is too complicated to explain. good luck

plash(Posted 2008) [#111]
I still can't figure out how uber does it but that is what I would do.
Here's a hint: It's not as safe as that.

You can still do a simple IO sniff on the program to see what it's reading and writing (registry access can also be sniffed.)

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#112]
lol @ sniff

It's OK if you can't tell me how, I was just curious is all ;) Ya'll have nothing to worry about with me.

kfprimm(Posted 2008) [#113]
GIA_Green_Fire_, all he did was create a file in the folder, called "time.dat" (I believe), and wrote '5' to it. Each time the game runs, he reads the file, finds out how many plays are left, and rewrites the file with the new number of plays left. Nothing complex or secure.

ubergeek, if you are really concerned with keeping people from playing the 'full' version of the game, don't put it up for download. Put a time limited demo or something else up. That would require much, much more knowledge to crack.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#114]
Besides, I never downloaded the newest download so there's nothing that could ever happen. I'm sure your source code is ok ;) I heard that the source code for HL2 was leaked years ago but it's fineeee.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#115]
uber I think something happened I looked at my windows directory right after I ran the untampered version of your game and it was clogged with over 200 files all named 41da12d$12dao50kx4tgk9.log

That could be harmful to a computer with low memory

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#116]
here is a screenshot where I added numbers to the explosion. Tell me if you like it or if you want me to email you the code uber

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#117]
@Khomy Prime:
If that's what how you think it works, that's fine...
And a time limited demo, i.e. it won't work after the date is, say, October 10th 2008, can be easilly foiled by resetting your computer's date and time...

@Nate:
That should definately NOT happen.
This is V0.9075, correct? Is the game limit still working, or does it keep resetting to 15 plays? Thanks for finding that!

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#118]
@GIA_Green_Fire_:
The source code was immediately taken down - feel free to download the latest version from my website! (Hint: The most changes were made in the control schemes - be sure to check the Options menu!)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#119]
ubergeek

[edit] ohh I didn't know what you were talking about. I think it was something I did but they are all deleted and I have 15 more plays that won't matter because I can't play the most recent version on my 1440*900 screen :p

I simply messed around with the function create sparks and thought that it would look neat since they represented computer programs if they exploded into 1s and 0s let me know if you like it :)

It is very hard to not mess with the code when it is sitting right in front of me and every time I delete it and restart my computer, it comes back. :) hope you don't mind but I will never sell it or recompile it or copy it. It just isn't the type of game that I would make. :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#120]
@Nate:
[edit] ohh I didn't know what you were talking about. I think it was something I did but they are all deleted and I have 15 more plays that won't matter because I can't play the most recent version on my 1440*900 screen :p

Look in the download folder and delete gfx.dat. Then try restarting the game.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#121]
uber did you try my code from above that will fix the hole in the player :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#122]
I haven't tried it yet, as I'll be busy this morning with other stuff - I'll get to it sometime this afternoon.. Thanks for the fix, hope it works..
Are you using V1.99 of Blitz3D?

Also, did you email me the source yet? I sent you my address (again, it's private, so please don't share it).. Thanks!

*checking email*

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#123]
*tapping foot*

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#124]
sorry I can only check my email during the weekdays from 8:00 to 3:30

The email people are working on it at the moment sorry

Yes I am using 1.99

I also added 2 sprites so I will include the whole folder in the email :)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#125]
Terrible. Sorry about my impatience then..
Something to look forward to tomorrow.. :-)

Thanks for the help - I'll be back in a few hours to update...

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#126]
Get a room you two!

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#127]
...or perhaps some sort of instant messaging client?

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#128]
@Stevie G:

This is MY thread. Nate is helping with MY game. Back off.

big10p(Posted 2008) [#129]
o_O

Yan(Posted 2008) [#130]

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#131]
uber said

stevie G said

the guy started this thread to showcase HIS game.

They are surprisingly similar in meaning :-)

Yan what is that supposed to mean

[edit] lol there are 131 posts :p

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#132]
@Yan and Stevie G:

Reread this.

Be nice.

plash(Posted 2008) [#133]
lol there are 131 posts :p
The point of the confusion. You also may wish to keep the inner workings of your game "hack3r" private, so the suggestion for instant messaging should be greatly considered.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#134]
Yan/big10p are right, I'm afraid.

Getting help is fine, but the showcase forum isn't intended for use as a chatroom. I'd suggest MSN.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#135]
That is precisely why I sugested email

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#136]
The point of the confusion. You also may wish to keep the inner workings of your game "hack3r" private, so the suggestion for instant messaging should be greatly considered.

From my experiece most games that are similar also have very similar inner workings but I agree it is still good to keep them to yourself :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#137]
Reread this.

Be nice.
They attacked you personally?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#138]
this thread has gone way off topic and out of control and I admit it is partially my fault

lets just forget everything that has been said off topic and comment on the game.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#139]
I wasn't suggesting you were a pair of homo's, just that you should take your conversation offline - like everyone else is suggesting.

By talking aload of offtopic drivel you are shooting yourself in the foot and will put off someone who would normally have commented on your game.

Stevie

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#140]
Get a room you two!

Yes it did sound like you were calling us a pair of homo's at first but then I realized that you meant chat room not an actual room :p

kfprimm(Posted 2008) [#141]

@Stevie G:

I'd say that this is BRL's thread and that you have no right to moderate it.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#142]
quite a bit off topic...

I like the binary numbers in the game - gives it a geeky computer vibe.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#143]
Yahfree

That is why his nickname is ubergeek :)

Yan(Posted 2008) [#144]
Yan what is that supposed to mean
The term 'handbags' or 'handbags at dawn' is a colloquial British term used to indicate when someone is becoming disproportionately confrontational over something completely petty and unimportant. It conjures up the image of two old ladies having a handbag fight over a penny item at a jumble sale (rummage sale).

Ubergeek, the only person being confrontational in this thread is yourself. You're taking yourself *far* too seriously and, IMHO, just making yourself look like a petulant child. I suggest you do yourself a favour by calming down a little and take any ribbing you may get on these forums in the spirit in which it's, almost always, intended; i.e. a bit of harmless fun.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#145]
oh sorry I am not british

uber your game has a bad case of the alpha problem and it needs to be solved by entityorder command :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#146]
Uber I sent you an email