Posting a demo...

Community Forums/Showcase/Posting a demo...

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've been writing a game, and would like to eventually sell it for profit. However, first I need beta testers to do a 'reality check' for me and make sure that the game is as good as I think it! The wonderful Blitz community immediately jumped to mind, but I have a couple questions first:

1): Where can I upload a demo .zip; to the Blitz website, or do I need to create a website first, then link it to a post here?

2): How can I protect myself from piracy, or someone poaching my idea?

Thanks for any insight; I look forward to be showing off my work here soon!

big10p(Posted 2008) [#2]
1) You can't upload it here so you'll need your own webspace to host it.

2) Short answer: you can't. You are probably being a tad paranoid, though. ;)

Taron(Posted 2008) [#3]
1) there are free content hosting sites, although annoying, they'll do the trick

2) HAHAHAHA! But yeah, it's a tragedy. (SHOW Off/no show) you decide! 8)

*thanks for the juicy fonts link! Nice little tool.

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#4]
[Taron]:

1) there are free content hosting sites, although annoying, they'll do the trick

Thanks! Do you know of any, specifically, that you could point me to?

2) HAHAHAHA! But yeah, it's a tragedy. (SHOW Off/no show) you decide! 8)

...? What does that mean? Could you please elaborate? Does that mean that poaching is a regular activity?!!

*thanks for the juicy fonts link! Nice little tool.

You must be confusing me with someone else. I've never heard of you before. What's a juicy font?..
... Are there two ubergeeks on Blitz?!!

Anyway, thanks!!

big10p(Posted 2008) [#5]
You must be confusing me with someone else. I've never heard of you before. What's a juicy font?..
He was talking to me.

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks! Do you know of any, specifically, that you could point me to?
Try filefront.com

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#7]
If your at the beta stage then your feature complete so even if someone considered stealing the idea you've got a pretty good head start on them.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks for clearing that up, big10p! LOL
Guess our ubergeek is new to forums altogether! ;)

Hey ubergeek, don't worry so much unless you have the most revolutionary idea that is incredibly easy to make. (egg of the columbus type of thing)

If anything, you'll have us here as witness! [oO]-b
...so be nice! 8)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#9]
"2): How can I protect myself from piracy, or someone poaching my idea?"

Welcome to clone programming, errr.. I mean indie game development. ;)

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#10]
[big10p and Taron]: Whoops, sorry to intrude on your conversation!! I AM new to this! Anyway, thanks for the info - and no, it's not THAT simple/revolutionary, just not a 6-months-in-development barrier.
Thanks for all of your help!!!

[Plash]: Thanks, I'll definately look into that!

Hopefully will be posting again soon with links to a demo!

Xip(Posted 2008) [#11]
If we talk big game industri, then Anti-piracy protections is a joke.

it is a big waste of money and time, not to mention that it seems to generate more problems for the costumers that are using legal versions, than it does for the people cracking it.

and all this, for some protection that will last about one week after release... before some big releas group have made a crack.
And this is worst case senario.

admitedly, an indy devoleper is not in the same spot light ofcourse, and chanses are a bit greater that your little game wont be cracked as fast, and possibly not at all.

still, i dont think Copy protection is a very good solution, if people want to get pass it, thay will... and all the extra money and time you invest in it dont seem worth it in the end.

all you can hope for is, that you create a very good product, so that people WANT to sponsor you.