SLAY 1.0

Community Forums/Showcase/SLAY 1.0

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#1]
SLAY (Sledge's Lua-enhanced Adventure thingY) is a simple system for authoring multiple-choice interactive fiction -- y'know, like those old game-books you used to get, only computer-ma-tized.

Download
Blog Entry

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#2]
I well and truly nailed a niche with this one didn't I :P

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#3]
lol, er.. post some screenshots?

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#4]
Well it's a Conio based app (ie text mode) so it's not like screenshots are ever going to draw anyone in -- if it's of any interest to someone then they probably will know just from the description. Nevertheless, it currently looks like this:

Incidentally the script for that 'page' (with the comments stripped out -- all the example pages are helpfully commented) looks like this...
SetFrameTitle("Get & Set")

AddText(
GetVar("hero_name")..", you have "..GetVal("gold").." gold coin(s)."..EndPara()
)

AddText( "KERCHING!"..EndPara() )
SetVar("gold",4)
SetVar("hero_name","Minted adventurer")

AddText(
GetVar("hero_name")..", you now have "..GetVal("gold").." gold coin(s)."..EndPara()
)

AddText( "KERCHING!"..EndPara() )
SetVar( "gold",GetVal("gold")+4 )
SetVar("hero_name","Extra minted adventurer")

AddText(
GetVar("hero_name")..", you now have "..GetVal("gold").." gold coin(s)."..EndPara()
)

AddOption("Conditional elements and program flow",3)

And it's the same with conditional logic -- you just program in Lua with a few SLAY-specific commands to keep track of variables, define text and link pages together.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#5]
I love interactive fiction like this. Dungeons of Fear is basically interactive fiction, and now I'm working on a sequel that's vastly improved from the first.

I'm glad to see someone else has an interest in this. I downloaded and viewed all the files, and I think its really cool.

Great Work!

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#6]
Cheers! Had to check out Dungeons Of Fear of course -- it totally insta-death'd my ass with scorpions. Harsh!