Protracker EX

Community Forums/Showcase/Protracker EX

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#1]
A small test of my current project (win32)

http://www.abrexxes.huntingsoftware.de/temp4/pro.zip

Just use Play and Stop to play the modfile. (You can resize the window!)

An older picture you can find in the gallery.

cu

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#2]
Really nice! I used to love Protracker on the Amiga. This brings back great memories :)

Jason.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Jason. The goal ist to have later a framework for spezial "exports" for mobile devices (like NDS ore Phone). And ..., you will have skins, but the master will always have the skin of the best tracker ever. So you can use this (off.) bock as manual... http://www.silent-dreams.de/handbook.html

But it will be a long way..what you see is not more than 1%, 99% are only a deal with bits nd bytes backstage.

(Ok, i now, my english is not the best) ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sounds like a great project to work on. Are you still using Blitz3D for this?

I keep trying to convert to BMax but something keeps drawing me back to good old B3D.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
I was my favourite Amiga tracker too, made LOADS on it :-)

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#6]
@QuickSilva

Yes, its B3D. For the UI (and text) i use Draw3D V.2.0. Audio is BBS 1.6.1.

bye

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#7]
I was Protracker addict. It started rather innocently, with a bit of Soundtracker and occational Noisetracker. Sometimes even Octalyzer. But Protracker totally took me to another stage. I used it almost daily and nothing was ever enough. Little more than 10 years ago I moved to a new scene and Protracker simply wasn't available anymore. I used Impulse Tracker for years after that, but it just wasn't the same anymore.

I'm clear now, but threads like this give me flashbacks...

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#8]
I also used OctaMED which was also cool for those that remember it. There is also a PC version of that program.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#9]
@Jasu, yeah I started with Soundtracker, tried out Octamed but didn't like the sound quality of 4 8-bit channels essentially becoming 8x4bit channels. But when I got Protracker it was awesome, I used to make tracks at night with headphones on for 5-6 hours and then get up late (was on the Dole). Used FastTracker loads on PC then as Windows and soundcards progressed it gradually stopped working as it needed DMA/IRQ access :-( Never found a decent replacement (anyone recommend one?). I do use Fruity Loops, that's really good, but I'd love to edit and output my old mods in something decent that worked...

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#10]
Grey: MilkyTracker
MilkyTracker is an open source, multi-platform music application for creating .MOD and .XM module files. It attempts to recreate the module replay and user experience of the popular DOS program Fasttracker II, with special playback modes available for improved Amiga ProTracker 2/3 compatibility.

Sound about right?

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#11]
Hi Grey Alien. If you are searching for a "recent" tracker there is Renoise. Its a tracker based HOST for samples/instruments/midi and lattest VSTi devices like linplug products or kontakt2. Automation and Efx+ Mixer included.

http://www.renoise.com

I have started on Amiga with Soundtracker 1.0 :) after this i moved to protracker. The last (and best) version i have used for years was pt3.1b.

bye

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#12]
@Grey
If you still want to use a dos-based tracker, you can do it in a DosBox. I tried using Impulse Tracker on it, but I use Cubase now so it was just out of remote interest. I've also tried running Protracker with WinUAE. Oh, the amount nostalgia... and the amount of forgotten key shortcuts...

I still have the Amiga-days modules on 880k disks. They're probably gone already, but cant check that since Amiga is wasted. I did once move all mods to PC (hundreds of them), but the hard drive failed soon after. Luckilly most of the stuff is on c-cassettes. Hmm.. maybe I should digitize them before something bad happens, again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
@LineOf7s: Last time I looked it was not that good (missing stuff) but I see there's some recent news so may check out.

Abrexxes: Ah yes, I made a couple of things on this then got Fruity Loops (easier to do fancy trance stuff).

Jasu: DOSBox, that's a good idea. Used it a few years back to complete an old Ultima Game. Think I tried it with FT2 and didn't get much luck though, can't remember why...Yeah I use loads of the shortcuts as it speeds up editing no end. I copied all my Amiga mods onto 720K formatted PC disks via MessyDos so now I have them on the PC, phew! :-)

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#14]
Wow! I checked what's going on in the front on reading amiga formatted disks in PC and found out there is a software solution available. Last time I checked this years ago there was custom hardware needed. My amiga disks are still readable!! I've already been able to listen few mods using WinUAE. Thanks a LOT Abrexxes for this thread! I've never would have bumped into it without you! Sorry about derailing the thread, but I'm so happy that I had to mention it.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#15]
jasu, thanks for mentioning it but you left no links....

Taron(Posted 2008) [#16]
Dear god, flashback thread, hahaha! Protracker was mighty fine, but I did enjoy OctaMed quite a bit more, since it had the nifty wave painting to create sounds! Made me make two tons of chiptunes, which I called minimods...uh, sweet memories!
I hope BlitzMax allows for decent audio experiments. It's been just a bit more than 2 weeks that I bought it, but I'm already in the midst of writing my first game. No audio, yet, though... :(

Anyway, great little player! Wished it was already functioning as editor, haha! ;)

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#17]
Do you mean link to the software? I found this page using google. I tried the first option on the list, a program called adfread. You need just two regular pc disk drives (A and B drives). Don't understand why, because the disk image is written on hard drive, but still you need the second disk drive and empty formatted disk in it. So it creates an adf-image from your disk and you can open that image using WinUAE. In WinUAE you can map any directory to emulate a hard drive, so you can open the disk image as df1 and save the files to dh0. After that the mods are readable in pc environment.

Adfread and WinUAE can be found at www.winuae.net, but the site is currently down (worked yesterday). You might find files mirrored elsewhere using google.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#18]
The second drive is emulating "writing", and this stream is used to create the image on the hard drive. Its a little more complicate as a pc can not really emulate the hardware of an amiga floppy.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#19]
Wow! I checked what's going on in the front on reading amiga formatted disks in PC and found out there is a software solution available
COOL! Just read the rest, shame you need a second drive though.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#20]
I found this page using google.

me too, but as GA mentioned the 2 drive thing deflated my excitement. I thought you might have found something else...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#21]
Your protracker GUI is very nice... I liked the tune as well. I used to play with Octamed myself.

As regards AdFred, that may've been a less expensive option than fitting a wireless card to my Amiga - but then I wouldn't have resolved the problem with my Amig'a external CD-ROM reader (the SCSI cable had come off ..., but inside the casing so it was hard to see!).

Bye.

Panno(Posted 2008) [#22]
cool