Space Rock Killer

Community Forums/Showcase/Space Rock Killer

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#1]
Allow me to jump on the retro-remake band wagon. This WIP is another one of the bazillion Asteroids clones out there. Space Rock Killer is a 2D in 3D top/down game written in C# using the Blitz 3D SDK, and some 3D models I puchased from "The Game Creators" web site. I started it, mainly, to see if you could write a decent game using C#. I've been using the language since it came out, but never for writting games. So far I'm quite impressed with the language. There are over 200 Asteroids with collision detection, and each explosion has over 100 particles. The animation is smooth.

I'll have an alpha version ready to dowload in a couple days.

My particle emitter class is used to generate the con-trail when you apply the thrusters.

The same particle emitter is used for the explosions as well.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#2]
"are over 200 Asteroids with collision detection, and each explosion has over 100 particles. The animation is smooth."

On "your" computer. ;)

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#3]
:wink:

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#4]
Particles that are way off screen don't have to be rendered, or perhaps not even created.

I'm currently running some tests with over 400 ships (200vs200) with targeting systems, chasing and all that kind of stuff. It runs smoothly. Even on my old laptop.

So it's not impossible.

I like your trails.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ofcourse it's not impossible, it's just pointless to say it's doing this or doing at, at such and such a frame rate as a general statement. Unless ofcourse you also add your cpu/gpu specs. :)

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#6]
Perhaps I *should* post my machine specs.

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude D820.
3 Ghz Centrino Duo processor
2 Gb Ram
512 Mb NVidia Quadro video card.

My desktop at home is a custom built machine.
3 Ghz Intel Pentium IV
4 Gb Ram
256 Mb NVidia PCIE video card (can't remember the model)
256 Mb ATI PCI video card

The game works equally well on both systems.

Htbaa: Thanks! I think the trails look good too.
I'll have a playable alpha/demo online this weekend.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#7]
Ok, here's something playable.
This is just the basic game functionality.

You fly around blowing up asteroids. At the moment there's no collision detection between your ship and the asteroids. So they just pass right through you.

Download

Use the arrows to fly around, and the left Control key on your keyboard to fire.
(This will be user configurable in the final version).

You'll need the .Net 2.0 framework on your machine (chances are it's there already). I haven't tested it on Vista because I haven't decided to infect any of my machines with that operating system yet.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#8]
Ran fine on my dev kit. (30fps@ 800x600x32)
512mb
Intel Celeron 2.93ghz
Intel 82845G Integrated GPU

Played a little slow, are you using time based coding? Graphics need to be smoothed out, they look a little pixelated.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#9]
ran fine here:

3ghz p4 processor
2gb RAM
NVIDIA 9600 GT 512mb gfx card

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#10]
Doesn't run on Vista SP1 here.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#11]
Thanks for the feed back.
Wonder what the problem was with Vista...

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#12]
Doesn't work for me on vista either. I get the splash screen and then it crashes.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#13]
hmm... Guess I'm gonna have to infect one of my PC's with Vista so I can debug the program on a vista machine. Kind of like forcing cancer onto a loved one... ;)

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#14]
Alright.

After infecting one of my lesser laptops (Dell Inspiron 8600 with 1Gb ram.) with Windows Vista Ultimate. I was able to debug the Space Rock Killer program and discover *what I belive to be* a bug in the method used by the Blitz 3D SDK to get the name of a graphics driver.

I've developed a work around, and will post the code tomorrow for all the Vista users to give 'er a try. ;)

But for now I'm sleepy after downloading and installing *hours* worth of updates for Vista. It's bed time.