CrayonPhysics clone project [frozen]

Community Forums/Showcase/CrayonPhysics clone project [frozen]

Xip(Posted 2008) [#1]
oh well... seems like i'm the over-lord of unfinnished project's, and here is yet a nother one to the collection ;-P

I'm proberbly not going to do much more on this project... to bad, it was a fun project, and i had big plans for it... but some stuff is to messed up, and i dont have the energy to fix it.
anyway, i thought i might as well releas current test version publicly.

as long as people anderstand it is by NO MEANs finnished(and proberbly never will be)... infact, it dont have the game-ellements in it yet, and is currently more of a paint-physical-objects-in-random-color kinda thingy ;)

oh well, if people like it, then so be.

PS: there are several known bugs, the most noticable is the slight offset on the crayon lines from the physical objects, dident have time to fix it.
you can see the collision models by holding down 'H' key.

PSS: the artwork is from the original crayon physics game by kloony games.

oh well, have fun... or something close to it :P

http://xip.software.googlepages.com/CrayonPhysicsPrototype2.rar

Xip(Posted 2008) [#2]
hmm... i guess i dident expect much since nothing is finnished, but i guess i expected atleast a few comments? (after all, it is quite fun to play around with)

on the other hand, i guess i named the topic wrong, it is not clear that there is anything to download, only that the project is frozen. (Doh!)

oh well

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#3]
Here is my explanation:
The archive you provided is useless without code.

Here is my opinion:
It is a very interesting idea but needs a lot of work in order to be concluded to a game.

FreakForFreedom(Posted 2008) [#4]
Too bad this project of yours is frozen, it's quite fun and very polished.
It's grafic-arts really reminds me of my childhood :P

I'm gonna show this to my 2 years old sister, I think she would love it. :)

But since you froze this project, have you considered releasing the source? I always find it sad, how much projects with great potential disappear forever and no one gets the chance to even continue its developpment...

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yep...it's kind of buggy. Sometimes the objects just go crazy it seems. Too bad you don't spend more time with it, there's a "game" there somewhere for sure.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#6]
Tanx for the comments :)

I dont think there is that much work before it becomes a game, i have done more than there is left, i think.
it might not look like much, but there is lots of code behind the sene.

well, im not to happy about releasing source, never have been, never will be... i MIGHT releas some parts of the source later, if people find it usefull, but not all the source... some parts of it is to messy.

some other parts(Nod optimasion, brush rendering classes, and so on) is not to bad, and might be interesting to some people.

as far as the bugs goes, The reason some shapes get fraked up, is becus 2 or more cordinates are placed on the same pos, this makes Chipmunk go bananna.
i had more problems on this before, and i did partly solve the issue with Nod optimasion functions... however, sometimes it still does it on the very first, and second, cordinates of a shape.
it would be simple to solve if i had given it more time, but right now... i have new projects i rather work on ;)

the bug that bothers me the most, is the -offset- bugg, should be simple to fix tho.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#7]
If you don't plan to finish it, you should release the source. That way others can complete and improve your game and it could actually become something.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#8]
well, thats just it... I dont like people snooping in my source, it feels like trespassing.

and there is always a bunsh of "why did you do it like this" and "my way is faster" remarks, i did not bother doing stuff pretty, optimized, clean, or nicely structured... or even anderstandable to others, so im not even sure people would make much sence of it.

anyway, some classes are nicer structured, and might be releasable, however.. im not sure what thay alone can do to anyone, without the other source binding it all together.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#9]
Better than letting it go to waste.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#10]
agreed, source or we'll eat you.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#11]
hehe then Eat me it is ;-P

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#12]
what?!?!

WE DEMAND SOURCE!!!

actually, I don't even own bmax, but it seems like a really nice project and a shame to let down the toilet.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#13]
I'm the master of unfinished projects (seriously) but whenevver I come up with something good, I don't stop 'till it's complete.

So you have three options.

1. Repent from your habits and finish this awesome looking game
2. Give us the source code
3. Face the wrath of an angry mob of Blitzers.

Alright, you have 10 seconds. 10.. 9.. 8.. 7.. 6.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..
Ah, forget this. KABLOOM.

Anyway, there's really no good reason not to relese your source, I mean really, why let your hard written code go to waste? You could even put it in the archives - it would help many a newbie out.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#14]
I just told you some of the source is seriusly messed up, i doubt it would help any newbe, infact... it will proberbly confuse them even more :P hehe

not to mention the elit people in this forum shaking there heads on some of the code ;) hehe

oh well, i will take a look at it, cant promise anything tho.
and dont come and complain on me when you guys cant make head or tails out of things ;-)

you have been warned xD

Xip(Posted 2008) [#15]
Wops... i forgot to mention, you have 2 types of brushes when drawing.

press key 1: draw static objects stuck to background.
press key 2: draw objects that falls down.

hehe oh well, bether late than never ;-P

FreakForFreedom(Posted 2008) [#16]
This is soo well done, I want... I want... I waaaant the souuurce. :P