POLYMANIACS - Alpha Demo [Feedback Request]

Community Forums/Showcase/POLYMANIACS - Alpha Demo [Feedback Request]

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#1]
At long last ..... a demo of the game I've been working on. Please refer to Read Me for details.

Any feedback ( negative or otherwise ) would be much appreciated.
The game is locked to 50 fps. Please report FPS ( press F12 ).

Some screenies ..

The demo .. ( just over 6mb ) - Thanks to Amon and Lineof7s ...

http://steviegoodwin.lineof7s.com/Polymaniacs_Alpha2.zip

Cheers
Stevie

**** Thanks to Lineof7 for allowing me use of his webspace and to Amon for mirroring this ****

M2PLAY(Posted 2008) [#2]
Very fun.
thanks!!!

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#3]
when I DL the .zip. it tells me it is corrupt.

any ideas?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#4]
Try it now. I was uploading a widescreen fix not long ago.

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#5]
very fun to play...once again nice work man.

I get and avg of 14x-16x FPS.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2008) [#6]
Very nice, as expected.

I don't know if something's changed, but the view felt much more restrictive than I remember, as if the camera's too narrow, or close to the car, or something.

With accelerate/brake on the right Xbox stick, I wanted to swing the camera around the car by pushing left/right (especially when stationary, eg. up on the 'tri-bridge').

There was no incentive not to keep the boost held on the Knight Rider car... how about a depleting/refilling gauge?

I wanted the camera to swing more in the direction the car was pointing/moving on the ghost car track, as it's hard to line up coming out of curves. It's a bit 'bobbly' too, but maybe that can't be helped. (Is it possible to interpolate between track sections and position the car based on that, assuming it's because of this?)

The menu's dead easy to use, though Esc should work as Back and Enter as Next, I think.

Some chunky square red/yellow/orange particles in collisions would be nice!

50 FPS.

ervin(Posted 2008) [#7]
Woohoo!
Been waiting to try this out!

Okay, system specs:
hp pavilion laptop
pentium 4 @ 3.4Ghz
x600 256MB vid
2GB RAM

In both windowed and full-screen, the game ran at a rock solid 50fps in 1024x768. In fact the whole game felt really solid and well programmed. Nice work.

The options screen is wonderful. It's one of the most fun options screens I've seen.
Will the game be saving controls settings etc between restarts? It doesn't seem to do that yet.

The controls are nice and responsive - the vehicles are a joy to drive.

In windowed mode, the windows mouse pointer needs to be hidden.

clownhunter(Posted 2008) [#8]
I got 50 fps the whole time running in 1680 x 1050 res. The only problem was that at that resolution I couldn't press the buttons on the bottom or right hand side of the screen! While running in other resolutions I could. It was quite odd. Nonetheless, this was a great game. I love the graphics style.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thanks for the feedback folks.

@ James,

I don't know if something's changed, but the view felt much more restrictive than I remember, as if the camera's too narrow, or close to the car, or something.

The default camera view probably has changed - the last demo was over 1.5 years ago. You can change the camera view though.

With accelerate/brake on the right Xbox stick, I wanted to swing the camera around the car by pushing left/right (especially when stationary, eg. up on the 'tri-bridge').

To swap the sticks - just push the left stick when configuring the right and vice versa .. Not sure I want to give the user control of the camera pan but I'll look into this if others find it a problem. It's basically the same as GTA without the rear and side views. Maybe I should add the later.

There was no incentive not to keep the boost held on the Knight Rider car... how about a depleting/refilling gauge?

Yes, I know - I'll need to work on this. I only added 'Kit' at the last minute although it is impossible to turn at full speed.

I wanted the camera to swing more in the direction the car was pointing/moving on the ghost car track, as it's hard to line up coming out of curves. It's a bit 'bobbly' too, but maybe that can't be helped. (Is it possible to interpolate between track sections and position the car based on that, assuming it's because of this?)

The camera needs improvement on the racing / time trail modes. I'll work on this.

The menu's dead easy to use, though Esc should work as Back and Enter as Next, I think.

Maybe I'll add this.

Some chunky square red/yellow/orange particles in collisions would be nice!

I don't want to slow things down with loads of particles but maybe an option for the future.

@ ervin,

Will the game be saving controls settings etc between restarts?

Controls are currently saved, providing you hit the back button at the options screen and then exit. I'll make sure they're saved if you hit ESC too.

In windowed mode, the windows mouse pointer needs to be hidden.

Done - thanks.

@ clownhunter

I got 50 fps the whole time running in 1680 x 1050 res. The only problem was that at that resolution I couldn't press the buttons on the bottom or right hand side of the screen! While running in other resolutions I could. It was quite odd. Nonetheless, this was a great game. I love the graphics style

Yeah, others have noticed this in widescreen - will fix that tomorrow.

Cheers
Stevie

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#10]
p.s. It seems I've exceeded my bandwidth allowance on my webspace. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out and host this until I sort something better out? Please e-mail me if you can help and I'll be happy to negotiate a small fee.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#11]
try willhostforfood.com Max 10 Mb

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
www.filefront.com

1gb max.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#13]
filefront is nice

Amon(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hosted here!

http://www.kamigames.com/storage/Polymaniacs_Alpha.zip

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#15]
dang, I'm never going to get to sleep, am I?

[EDIT]
I noticed right off the bat that the UI doesn't scale vertically with the resolution on 16:10 monitors.

I also got Integer Divide by 0 when I shrunk, reopened, and began a game...?

taumel(Posted 2008) [#16]
I really liked the visuals, very nice! Also all the details like the nice looking option menus, nicely built models and cute looking landscapes. What i couldn't enjoy was the game. I simply had no fun driving around there beside of looking at the graphics. As it is it's just not my type of game. I would go after a different gameplay. One thing i would try to optimise for sure is the camera.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#17]

I also got Integer Divide by 0 when I shrunk, reopened, and began a game...?

Hmmm - no idea what that would be. I haven't really played around with windowed modes and people are experiencing some graphical issues when AltTabing etc.. I'll look into it.

Hosted here!

Thanks very much Amon!! I've got something lined up but if you don't mind me using that link for now I'd appreciate it?

I noticed right off the bat that the UI doesn't scale vertically with the resolution on 16:10 monitors.

The scaling is fixed in the latest upload which I don't think Amon is hosting. I'll post a new link when I've fixed it.

I simply had no fun driving around there beside of looking at the graphics. As it is it's just not my type of game. I would go after a different gameplay.

Fair enough - it's simply not for you then. I guess it's aimed at the younger market.

One thing i would try to optimise for sure is the camera.

I spent alot of work on the camera. What optimisations do you suggest? If it's on the Timetrial mode where the camera pans up on one of the overpasses - I can understand but I'm happy with the camera otherwise.

taumel(Posted 2008) [#18]
The problem i was facing is that you don't see what's around you, if there are enemies nearby you're trying to hit then it's hard due to this. I would try either making the camera follow less hard or choosing a greater distance/different viewing angle. You also could try to adapt certain parameters depending on the action and interpolate between a more driving mode camera and a turning and fight enemy camera mode.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#19]
You can change the camera to a further out view + any vehicle which has a gun has the camera directly behind the gun so I still don't get you? Which particular game are you on about?

taumel(Posted 2008) [#20]
I had a car and the chain thing and was trying to hit another car which was driving around me and hitting me. Hard as i couldn't see the other car.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#21]
The camera automatically gives you a wider FOV when you're carrying a weapon but as I said you can hit the camera button a couple of times to get a further out view. I'll address it if it's an issue for others.

taumel(Posted 2008) [#22]
I was playing with the keys and i dunno i would find it kind of hard pressing some additional keys for adjusting the camera manually in a fight.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#23]
Hard? You're kidding right? You only have to press one key twice at the start. I'm going to allow players to select a default camera in the TEAM setup menu in the future - specifically for those still in the dark ages with Keyboard control.

Anywho, thanks for the feedback.

taumel(Posted 2008) [#24]
You know the dark aged ones mainly steer by keyboard and mouse and as for the steering: the right hand uses the arrow keys and then you have to place your left hand over your right hand in order to press the appropriate camerazoom. If you really find this comfortable then i'm definately not the target audience. In my opinion the whole keyboard defaults aren't wisely choosen, especially for two players.

One bug i've experienced was that if i fire with the humve(?) as the blue player and shoot then i instantly killed the red player although i wasn't aiming at him.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#25]
You can configure your keys to whatever suits. I didn't think much about the initial setup as I don't use keys. The way I see it - your issue is that everything should be set up for your preferences at the outset ... come on!!

You don't like the game and you have made that point very clear. I welcome constructive critisism but you seem to just be complaining for the sake of it. No offence Taumel but yes, you are definately not my target audience and I'd appreciate it if you stopped cluttering this thread with cr*p.

[EDIT] ( you edited the above )

One bug i've experienced was that if i fire with the humve(?) as the blue player and shoot then i instantly killed the red player although i wasn't aiming at him.

Not a bug, from the readme ...

"Points are scored if ANY of your team members scores a kill. Note that this includes Mines of your colour."

Thanks
Stevie

taumel(Posted 2008) [#26]
Nope, you're wrong if you're thinking this way.

I just meant what i wrote, the keyboard setup isn't well thought out as defaults should be easy to use right from the start for both the one and two players option. I think this is quite objective. The camera isn't always this good. After replaying it i also would say that at least on my computer the movements (driving, turning) felt a bit too slow. Dunno if this is due to the framerate or if you're deltatiming.

What i like are most of the visuals and the audio effects. With some different gameplay i could imagine this, especially due to the wonderful split screen option, as an enjoyful game.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#27]
No deltatiming - frame rate is locked to max 50fps. Post your frame rate and setup please by pressing F12, also which game and how many players / teams/vehicles/objects shadow detail etc... Thanks - these are the issues I want to address.

taumel(Posted 2008) [#28]
Two player game, 30/42-50 fps, 2 teams, 15 vehicles, 8 objects, all with defaults. The GPU seems to be the limting factor on this machine, GeForce3 and P4 2.8 with HYPERthreading.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#29]
I love this type of game...here are my comments after 10 minutes of gameplay (I didn't read anyone else's post, so forgive if I repeat):

- The camera is too close to the vehicle. Pull it back and make the field of view wider so we can see more of the game world as we drive.

- It's silly that vehicles drive through water. I drove through a lake and saw 4 other vehicles driving along the bottom. Computer AI should avoid water; player vehicle should stall out and need to be "reset" if you crash into a lake.

- One of my favorite games in this genre was "Monster Truck Madness" by Microsoft back in the 90's. http://www.microsoft.com/games/monster/screenshots.htm You could pretty much free drive all over a large map in a big 4x4 truck. Climbing hills and catching air had a tangible feel of "weight" to the vehicle, something I don't sense in your game. Perhaps more impact and bounce upon landing after large jumps would help?

- Along the lines of physics, I would add weight to the front of vehicles...not much, but just enough to change the way the vehicle travels through the air. If you watch videos of vehicles jumping they almost ALWAYS tend to "nose down" in the air, at least in lower-velocity jumps. Your vehicles tend to jump more like motorcycles- nearly always landing on their rear wheels.

Just my 2 cents after a few minutes of play.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#30]
nice...when I try to change controls (Special1 key) whole thing freeze and crash..

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#31]
@ Taumel,

Two player game, 30/42-50 fps, 2 teams, 15 vehicles, 8 objects, all with defaults. The GPU seems to be the limting factor on this machine, GeForce3 and P4 2.8 with HYPERthreading.

Could be. If you're using the default shadow detail you may want to turn that to minimum of even turn the dynamic shadows off - it'll probably give you a fair speedup.

Thanks Tachyon,

The camera is too close to the vehicle. Pull it back and make the field of view wider so we can see more of the game world as we drive.

Personally I like the default view but you can change it in game by hitting the camera button.

It's silly that vehicles drive through water. I drove through a lake and saw 4 other vehicles driving along the bottom. Computer AI should avoid water; player vehicle should stall out and need to be "reset" if you crash into a lake.

Agreed. The AI has no concept of where it's driving atm. The AI is very much WIP just to allow you to play around. They do some really stupid things at times. I plan to have land based vehicles loose life when in deep water.

Perhaps more impact and bounce upon landing after large jumps would help?

I'm not aiming for 100% realism here to quite happy with the way the jumping works atm. I'll see what adding a small amount of weight to the front wheels does to the handling and report back.

@ NA,

nice...when I try to change controls (Special1 key) whole thing freeze and crash..

I can't recreate this .. were you changing Analogue or Keyboard controls? Do you get this every time you try to change just this button?

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#32]
The camera is too close to the vehicle. Pull it back and make the field of view wider so we can see more of the game world as we drive.

I second this. The Camera button seems not to alter drastically the field of view.

In my opinion it would be better a more classical GUI. I didn't like those characters while playing with my eyes...

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#33]
Can you post a link to a shot of another game which gives you the FOV you would like? The furthest away one is clearly not enough.

Also, what do you mean by a classical gui? I want to stick to a mesh based gui for consistency and ease of being res independant. I'm happy to hear alternative suggestions as the team score panels were kinda thrown in quickly.

[EDIT]

This far??

The code I use to determine the best view would need a bit of a tweek but it's clearly do-able.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#34]
I've been looking forward to this. I had quite a bit of fun with it.

As far as constructive criticism goes, I think the controls are too convoluted on the helicopter. I wanted to fly it with just two analog sticks but for some reason I had to hit the "Special 2" button to change elevation. So I could move forward, strafe, and turn with the analogs but I couldn't move up which was annoying because having to hit the extra button takes all the fluidness out of the controls.

I was also confused about detach and posses. Now that I'm writing this I'm guessing that detach would drop the springy bomb things but posses I would expect to take control of another vehicle and it didn't seem to do anything.

Aside from the controls feeling convoluted I had a lot of fun with it. I really think it would be a lot more approachable with simpler controls and maybe some little clues that pop up as you're playing. If when I had picked up the spikey ball thing it told me to release it with detach or whatever the functionality is that would be good.

The weapon targeting could possibly be better too. It wasn't bad but I had the feeling you could improve it more. I'll have to play it more to tell you anything specific. I think I'll show this to a few of my buddies and we'll get back to you with more feedback.

The physics are fun and the graphics are classic. I love old flat shaded polys. With more approachable controls and networked multiplayer I'd buy this. Another sweet addition would be a simple editor that would allow you to build your own polygon vehicles and maybe even maps to share amongst a community. With all of that this would be absolutely amazing. This is a great alpha though.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#35]
Is there any plans for adding unlockable cars, etc..?

That would really keep people playing. I had a blast flying off jumps with kit.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#36]
@ Jeremy,

As far as constructive criticism goes, I think the controls are too convoluted on the helicopter. I wanted to fly it with just two analog sticks but for some reason I had to hit the "Special 2" button to change elevation. So I could move forward, strafe, and turn with the analogs but I couldn't move up which was annoying because having to hit the extra button takes all the fluidness out of the controls.

I guess I'm kinda used to the gunship controls - they are second nature to me now although very tricky for a beginner. Any suggestions for better controls? Using the left stick to elevate the chopper and forget about the missile tubes? Keyboard users would be stuck with the current setup.

I was also confused about detach and posses. Now that I'm writing this I'm guessing that detach would drop the springy bomb things but posses I would expect to take control of another vehicle and it didn't seem to do anything.

Detach does detach whatever you are holding. It's necessary for some of the planned minigames. The possession is disabled for this demo but the general idea would be for dormant vehicles ( coloured white ) to be possessed to complete some of the challenges.

I really think it would be a lot more approachable with simpler controls and maybe some little clues that pop up as you're playing. If when I had picked up the spikey ball thing it told me to release it with detach or whatever the functionality is that would be good.

As I said - I don't know how I can simplify the controls any. Helper popups will be available in the challenges which you'll need to play to unlock some new vehicles / content.

The weapon targeting could possibly be better too. It wasn't bad but I had the feeling you could improve it more. I'll have to play it more to tell you anything specific. I think I'll show this to a few of my buddies and we'll get back to you with more feedback.

I agree with the targeting ( you mean the auto targeting right? ) ... it doesn't always pick what you want so it does require some work. This was put in for keyboard users to prevent them having 27 keys to play. It will be an option for analogue control.

Any more feedback is welcome.

@ Yahfree - yes, mini-games / vehicles etc.. will be unlockable by completing certain single player challenges.

Thanks

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#37]
@ Jeremy,

I tested using the left stick to control the chopper height as well as rotation and it actually works very well. I'll need to leave the keyboard as is though.

All,

I've also changed the camera's so that they do not stick to you so rigidly at faster speeds - I think this should cater for the masses.

I've also nailed the widescreen issues.

I'll upload a new demo with the fixes tomorrow.

Any other issues / suggestions very welcome?

Thanks again for the feedback - it's been invaluable!!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#38]
I find the learning curve confusing, there is very little instruction on how things work. I think the cars are too slippery on the racetrack. You should also be able to change vehicle in game without having to go back and restart the game.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#39]
@ chwaga

Please bear in mind that this is just an Alpha demo.

How which things work? Have you read the readme file?

Changing vehicle in game: Possession of team vehicles and dormant vehicles will be available in the final game. It works atm but is not essential for this demo as I've yet to decide which games / challenges will require it.

Cars being too slippery on the racetrack: Are you playing this without weather effects?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#40]
I played with this a bit under Vista on my iMac - Intel Duo2 dual core 2Ghz with an ATIX1600 graphics card, 128mb video ram, 3 gigs ram.

I changed it to 1440x900 resolution and changed no other settings, played the default/first game type with the keyboard. The framerate was almost completely smooth. It was not silky smooth like 60Hz (and why are you locking at 50 when 60 is so much more common?), but it must be at least 30fps or higher.

I did notice also that the menu has some issue in widescreen. The mouse seemed to have to be some distance further up the screen than the actual word I was trying to click on to get it to accept the click (at the bottom of the screen).

Also I don't know if you knew this but if in-game you press something like the Control key or Windows/Alt key, which switches instantly to the Windows desktop, when you flip back all of the entire landscape colors and objects are solid black with just the sky having a single color. It stays that way permanently until you exit the game and reload it.

It seemed like a fun game and pretty cool graphics style, reminds me of the Amiga, but I wasn't so sure what the object of the game was meant to be so I just drove around doing nothing.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#41]
First of all I want to clarify that the game is fun and attractive.
I tried for a constructive criticism because I believe that will help you, as you already mentioned.
Although it is not important what I like, here is a screen shot satisfied for me concerning the FOV:

here[/img]

A classical GUI consists of 2D images for buttons with some common gadgets such as a drop down list etc. I cannot say much about design because it is subjective.
I believe that the GUI can run on a graphics resolution such as 640x480x32 which is a common place for all systems. It is not necessary to run on the same resolution as the main game unless there are special reasons.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#42]

A classical GUI consists of 2D images for buttons with some common gadgets such as a drop down list etc. I cannot say much about design because it is subjective.
I believe that the GUI can run on a graphics resolution such as 640x480x32 which is a common place for all systems. It is not necessary to run on the same resolution as the main game unless there are special reasons.

For an in game HUD without a fixed resolution this is a no-no? Every single resolution will require adjustments and it will be tiny in high res and massive in low res. It aint gonna happen.

The new camera adjustments should cater for your FOV needs.

I did notice also that the menu has some issue in widescreen. The mouse seemed to have to be some distance further up the screen than the actual word I was trying to click on to get it to accept the click (at the bottom of the screen).

Yes, this has been mentioned and is now fixed. A new demo will be uploaded tomorrow at some point.

Also I don't know if you knew this but if in-game you press something like the Control key or Windows/Alt key, which switches instantly to the Windows desktop, when you flip back all of the entire landscape colors and objects are solid black with just the sky having a single color. It stays that way permanently until you exit the game and reload it.

I've been told this but no idea what I need to do to fix. Anyone got suggestions?

It seemed like a fun game and pretty cool graphics style, reminds me of the Amiga, but I wasn't so sure what the object of the game was meant to be so I just drove around doing nothing.

Yip, this is generally what you do in "sandbox" mode or should I include some instructions for those who don't understand the concept?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#43]
I really do like the graphical style though, fun to play too :)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#44]
so are the cars models? or are they drawn on the fly?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#45]
Of course the cars are models - how else would I display them in a 3d scene?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#46]
i think he meant are they prebuilt or procedural

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#47]
Yeah sorry :)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#48]
Vehicles are Prebuilt - see Media/Models folder. Landscapes and some of the other models can be generated procedurally based on a single seed.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#49]
Hmmm ... I thought you said the models were generated in code before using algorithmic poly ops.

Also about the control this is what I was thinking.

Left stick or WASD to move forward and strafe. Right stick or mouse left to right for yaw and push the right stick up and down or one of the mouse buttons to change elevation. Maybe mouse wheel for elevation change. It seems that with a helicopter you should be able to lock your elevation. If you don't like that though you can leave gravity to pull you down but still allow the player to increase elevation on a gamepad without pushing down a button and only by wiggling the analog sticks.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#50]

Hmmm ... I thought you said the models were generated in code before using algorithmic poly ops.

Well, I didn't use a modeller so all models are prebuilt in code using a suite of custom built functions and then saved in my own model format. Race tracks and landscapes are procedurally generated given a small number of user defined parameters. Not sure why any of this is relevant?

As for control, what you suggest in terms of sticks if just the opposite of what I have in the current build so you can set it up like this if you like, i.e. just move the right stick to configure turning and lift and the opposite for throttle and straffe. There will be no locked elevation as just moving the stick back slightly allows you to hover already. Wiggling the joystick to increase elevation doesn't exactly simplify controls does it?

I'm not keen on mouse control as it would only be used for the air based vehicles. It's maybe one for the future.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#51]
Why did I have to press "Special 2" to elevate?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#52]
What I meant by wiggling was just using the analog sticks. I see where we are missing each other. I would like the helicopter to maintain its elevation at all times or if not that be able to overcome gravity and move in any direction without having to worry about the tilt and without having to press Special 2.

I'm sure it was fun to develop the helicopter's current controls but it's not nearly as fun when you jump into the game as a player who lacks your personal attachment to the control scheme. I just wanted to go and I had to change the control scheme more than 5 times before I gave up and started testing the other vehicles out. It just doesn't really suit the game which has very intuitive controls in the other vehicles. I just want to move around and up and down. I guess you might have been going for a Battlefield thing but that game was very realistic so it felt right to make the copter somewhat complex. With this game though it just felt frustrating with no real feeling that it would be worth getting better at. So that is to say I think I shouldn't have to practice at a "party game" like this to control the helicopter like I might do with Battlefield.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#53]
By "current build" I mean the one which is in development - not the uploaded demo.

Why shouldn't you have to practice to use a particular vehicle? The chopper has it's advantages over most others so it's right that it should be more tricky to control. It's all about balance and my vision is clearly different from yours in that respect.

Once I finalise a few things I'll upload the new controls and you can see what you think for yourself. It is much more intuative.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#54]
Here is the new build which should address ...

Widescreen issues : Menu's should now be fully visible and selectable.

Camera issues : The camera now follows less rigidly. Default camera is now medium view.

Helicopter control : Height is now controlled via the Analogues.

Again, I'd appreciate feedback good or bad but please bear in mind that this is an Alpha demo and by no means the finished article.

Cheers Stevie

http://steviegoodwin.lineof7s.com/Polymaniacs_Alpha2.zip

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#55]
..Stevie buddy..same thing again...here is what i did...
1) run stuff..working fine..
2) I set resulution
3) I choose Keyboard set 1 and didnt change a thing
4) I choose track and stuff(just keep pressing next) and I start playing
5) Playing went fine, i kick some bastards and tank juniors,and then tricky part
6) I press esc and went back up to controls set up and then press special key1 and thing freeze..no movement and i had to kill it..

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#56]
@ NA, sorry - works fine here using the steps you listed. Does it freeze when you just click on special1? If not, what key are you pressing - some are disabled?

Also, what resolution are you initially changing it to?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#57]
it freeze when i click on Special1

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#58]
Are you in windowed mode and what resolution? It should have any bearing ... I'm also assuming all the other keys can be changed fine?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#59]
I havent change any key..i just did change option to use keyboard set 1 but any particular key I didnt touch before i enter game. resolution i did change on to 1280x1024 at begining..and i did went back to special key1 from non finished gameplay, i mean, I didnt kick all enemies, just some..
GPU is nVidia 8800GT with 512MB VRAM so it should be piece of cake to eat this..

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#60]
Help me out here NA. I've done everthing you have and no issues. Can you try selecting any of the other keys to change please? Is it only the special1 key.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#61]
ok..let me try again different options

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#62]
..okay...it was my mistake...'problem' was in fact that after pressing any of keys (special1, special2, brake, posses...) actually whole screen freeze including mouse, what makes me think that game are dead..actually it was waiting me to press any key for specific function...my suggestion is to make some flashy pointer or something what will tell to player what to do...there is no sign of a thing i have to do and whole monitor freeze, until I press esc..Im sorry Stevie, it was me, guided with fact that i cant move a thing after i press any of buttons, and actually, just small pop up text or something what will let player know that program waiting input, will be nice..on this way its really looking like dead thing without any sign of what to do..

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#63]
So, when you are in a menu that is for configuring "Keyboard" control and you select one of the actions you didn't expect for the program to be waiting on a "Key" to be pressed?!

I could add a message that says "Please press a key" but I really didn't think it was necessary.

Glad it's sorted though.

Cheers
Stevie

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#64]
well..confusing part was fact that whole menu(usually in nice funny motion) suddenly freeze as well as mouse motion...so i guess some note should be fine..

BlitzSupport(Posted 2008) [#65]
Just had a quick play of demo 2, and the race track is certainly much more controllable now, though the camera now flies over the bridges, looking down, as you go under, which is really off-putting.

BTW I tried snow mode on the race track (which makes for great drifting fun) and there was no snow falling -- don't know if it was meant to though... ?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#66]
Nah - the snow is only on the ground. If you play in 'sleet' though it is raining and it's like driving on ice!

I know about the camera ... it always flew over the bridges in the medium / far camera modes. I'm working on it.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#67]
I haven't had a chance to play the new build yet but I wanted to clarify my feeling about the copter control. Basically it was just my first impression upon seeing and feeling the intitial aspects of the game that it would be very pick up and play. Take that feeling however you think is right for the game. If you hear similar opinions than you may want to address it. Maybe it's just an anomoly.

I'm not trying to tell you how to make your game or anything like that. Just trying to tell you what it felt like for me and then how any uneasy feelings on my end might be remedied. There might be other solutions that I don't see but which might work for everyone.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#68]
@ Jeremy, your input was a great help to me and I changed the copter control as a result. I much prefer it now and I think you and others will too. I tested it with a few pals last night and they managed to land on top of the polywood sign where before they struggled.

If I'm honest the game was designed to be played on dual sticks and will configure for any make of pad including most steering wheel / pedal combinations. Everyone has their control preferences and I made a big effort to cater for this.

For keyboard controls I need to keep the keys available to a minimum so a single button for raising the copter is what I'll need to stick with. I may loose the camera key too as I plan to have this set on the Team / Vehicle setup screen and have all this saved in the prefs file. I can't think of a way of getting rid of the detach button - perhaps a combination of existing keys?

Like I've said before - all feedback is welcome - I'm thick skinned. Although the negative comments are outweighing the positives atm most of it is a big help.

p.s. Can someone who has a widescreen monistor please try this and tell me whether the menu and in game hud looks ok so that I can put that issue to bed?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#69]
I encountered 2 bugs in Time Trial mode.

1.As soon as I finish the first lap, it gave a MAV.
2.I can self destruct continuously without destructing the vehicle. You can change it with recovery so it teleports me back to the track.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#70]

1.As soon as I finish the first lap, it gave a MAV.

Well, you must have been driving shockingly bad and your time was greater than 2 mins. I locked the ghost recording to 2 mins max so it would have been an array index out of bounds. I'll fix it for the future by putting up a message "You drive worse than my Gran : Ghost will not be recorded" ;)

2.I can self destruct continuously without destructing the vehicle. You can change it with recovery so it teleports me back to the track.

Yes, I know about this. Damage is turned off on TimeTrial so Self destruct does nothing. I'll change it so that Self destruct on timetrial will reset you at the start in future.

Ta.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#71]
Well that was pretty sweet. All this talk of dual-analog joypads had me fearful of what helicopter control was gonna be like on keyboard, but it was just fine. Arrow keys to do your normal-type moving, and one key (right CTRL by default) to go increase altitude. About as intuitive as it gets - I even managed to land on top of the church (Test 3) without trouble.

And yes, the widescreen issue seems to be resolved. Played in 1920x1200 quite happily.

I had a couple of issues that might be bugs, but I need to RTFM again first before I say anything.

Coming along nicely.

BTW, did you fix your post on indiegamer.com so it's not attempting to show dead screenshots and link to a dead file? :o)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#72]
Thanks Leigh,

And yes, the widescreen issue seems to be resolved. Played in 1920x1200 quite happily.

Any chance of a screenie - I'm curious to see what it looks like?

BTW, did you fix your post on indiegamer.com so it's not attempting to show dead screenshots and link to a dead file? :o)

Yip - sorted - although no feedback coming from there as expected.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#73]
Wasn't sure what you needed a screenshot of, so I took a variety:

Out of interest, where's the fun in the Police Chopper? No weapons? ...or am I yet to RTFM, as mentioned earlier?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#74]
Excellent - thanks - I can see that the split for 4 player needs more scaling on the x direction. Do the team points hud icons show ok- as in they don't interfere with the lifebars?

where's the fun in the Police Chopper? No weapons?

None. It was just thrown in there at the last minute to fly around in "copland". It doesn't even have a proper model yet ( just removed the missile tubes from the gunship ). I'm still to think of it's purpose - probably will have a spot light when it's dark or a sniper and not much else. I might use it in a variant of Vanakazi - there you have to chase them around in a gunship and self destruct near them to score points.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#75]

I had a luvverly landscape shot sorted out for this, but then a tank blew me away just as I hit the hotkeys. Bastage!

A suggestion for the police chopper if I may: the same gun as the Humvee. I so love a good strafe of the battlefield. :o)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#76]
Thanks - the hud looks fine. Although blue clouds and grey sky looks a bit dodgy. How did you manage that? It was probably in mid render. I plan on having an alternative military chopper with maybe a mini-gun - since the police don't tend to use military hardware ;)

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#77]
"Good question," says I, hopping back in to see what I could do.

Seems it's most likely to have been from Alt-TABbing out to get to my screenshot proggy (that I'd forgotten to open beforehand).

Dunno about the blue clouds - perhaps it was night? - but with an Alt-TAB out the sky certainly goes from the blue I've got it selected as, to the dreary grey. Every time.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#78]
It definately wasn't night. AltaTabbing is an issue. I see there is something in the code archives which will help me so I'll give it a go.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2008) [#79]
OK, well I for one am eagerly awaiting the final game.
Got 50 FPS fulltime, didn;t see any slowdown.

System:

AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+
4GB Ram - PC2-5300@... MHz
512 MB ATI Radeon X1600 Pro Silent
Realtek HD Audio (Onboard)
Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM HDD

HNPhan(Posted 2008) [#80]
I like it :D

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#81]
The game is locked to 50 fps.

Given that pretty much all LCD's are running at 60fps, you may get smoother visuals if you were to lock it to 60fps instead, or possible even run it at 30 fps...

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#82]
So are the visuals not smooth for you? I have an LCD with 60fps refresh and it runs just fine here. I'm not locking it at 30fps.

This kind of feedback is no use to me. I'm more interested in how the games play for you / how well does it run on your setup / whether you found the games fun / did you find the control intuitive and did you encounter any bugs.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#83]
Nice work Stevie, this is possibly the most fun Blitz game i have ever seen and playd in the history of Blitz languages... :)

I salute you! ;-D

oky, if you can stand my extremly bad spelling, here is my feeling on the game.

I only spent around 30 min playing it, testing some random cars, and im not sure it might be 100% korrekt, but i got the feeling some of the cars was very over-powerd.

Tank - seemd way overpowerd as far as killing stuff goes, in a game where you gain points by killing stuff, this seems like the ultimate weapon.

helicopter - well... hard to control, extra so when im using arrow keys and fire-ing with ENTER(defult). constantly found my self spinning around and round. however... the uber-heat-seeking missiles still made this bad-boy an almost impossible apponent. and as far as i could tell, only other helicopters with heat-missiles could hit you(?).
you could very easily just stay on a high attitude and trow out missiles in random directions and still kill lots of stuff, and never get hitt your self.

I want something different in the controling of helicopters, i just dont know what...

Kit - haha awsome, got to love the Kit car ;)
however... maybe i missed some aspects of the game, but it seemd like a rather useless car for killing other cars, and it was speeding so fast it was almost impossible to control him most of the times.
still.. it was great fun to jump up a hill and fly half throw the map with the afterburner ;)

and btw, that "bulsing" "light" at the front, should it not be Red? and not blue ?:P huh

there was proberbly more stuff i was thinking of when i playd it, but i dont remeber it all now.

over all, a very impressive game, evrything from ingame to menu graphics was 10/10 stuff, love the simple polygon look and evrything about it.

it dont seem to impossible to find a sponsor for your game, so i relly hope you will make it :)

and if not, you are still on the list of best blitz game ever created, me personal think this is a great achievement.

keep up the great work :)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#84]
Thanks for the feedback.

Tank - seemd way overpowerd as far as killing stuff goes, in a game where you gain points by killing stuff, this seems like the ultimate weapon.

How many hits should a tank take to destroy a car? I agree that combat needs some more balancing. You will also be able to customise the damage sustained when I'm finished.

helicopter - well... hard to control, extra so when im using arrow keys and fire-ing with ENTER(defult). constantly found my self spinning around and round. however... the uber-heat-seeking missiles still made this bad-boy an almost impossible apponent. and as far as i could tell, only other helicopters with heat-missiles could hit you(?).
you could very easily just stay on a high attitude and trow out missiles in random directions and still kill lots of stuff, and never get hitt your self.

I want something different in the controling of helicopters, i just dont know what...

I can't make the control any easier for keyboard players I'm afraid. With a dual stick you have much more precise control. Practice makes perfect and as you say - it has it's advantaged over most others.

The sentry guns make short work of a gunship if you drag and drop thm in the right places. Other military vehicles are planned.

Kit - haha awsome, got to love the Kit car ;)
however... maybe i missed some aspects of the game, but it seemd like a rather useless car for killing other cars, and it was speeding so fast it was almost impossible to control him most of the times.
still.. it was great fun to jump up a hill and fly half throw the map with the afterburner ;)

and btw, that "bulsing" "light" at the front, should it not be Red? and not blue ?:P huh

The front cylon light is blue cos P1 is the blue team by default. The red team would have a red light etc. You can topple all the other vehicles in this car if you ram them at full throttle. This is a skill which you need to learn as like you say, it's deliberately difficult to control at high speeds.

Believe it or not - not all games / challenges will be about killing stuff. The games in the demo are just to give you a feel for how it will play and how the physics work. There are loads more & varied games planned. This is nowhere near the finished article - hence "alpha" demo.

Buggy(Posted 2008) [#85]
I only played it for maybe twenty minutes, just doing two of the mini-games.

I thought it was simply too hard to control things (particularly the - what's it called? - jeep thing), but I guess that's part of the game.

Visuals awesome, but what about some different maps? Indoors? Big arena?

Please, please, add some music. I turned the sound off.

Other mini-games... long jump (big ramp, go for distance)? Best shot with moving targets?

Keep it up, and good luck.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#86]
@ Buggy - You found it hard to control the basic Truck?! No offence but a friends 5 year old was flying around in the gunship with no issues.

I'm sick of saying this but this is an alpha demo with alot of work to do. The current maps are just for playing around on. Much more variety and games are planned.

I am not a musician but I'll be speaking to a few people about music at some point. What do you find offensive about the current effects?

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2008) [#87]
Stevie G,

I know you've worked loang and hard on this game & I for one am glad it's turned out how it has. As is, this is one of, if not the best, Blitz3D games ever made in my opinion. Don't let the Stoopids get you down, just ignore them like everyone else does. :^)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#88]
Yeah, this game is totally not finished. It's like an alpha version or something... :o(

Great work mate!

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#89]
Everyone's interested in this game which is great. Don't take the feedback to heart, just try to fix the game so that the next wave of testers don't complain about it. It's good to have different waves of testers so they always are reporting their first impression to you instead of an evolved impression.

For the helicopter controls I highly recommend using the WASD or cursors along with the mouse for steering. This way you can move forward and back or strafe on the keys and then turn with the mouse. Also you could use one mouse button to shoot and another to elevate. That would be very easy especially for PC gamers who are used to these sort of controls.

I understand wanting to be different but different controls are a poor way to innovate. You want to innovate with the theme of the game or the tactics behind the gameplay but not with the way that people interface with the game ... unless you're creating all new hardware like the Wii.

If players are used to using a mouse and keyboard one way then there's already the expectation for it to work. If it doesn't work then they get annoyed right off the bat. When you're making a game there are enough challenges to make it fun and long lasting. There's no reason to add that challenge as well.

Just detach yourself from the controls you're used to and also from any really young players (aka the 5 year old) because they don't have expectations. You'll want to sell this to people who play PC games and have credit cards.

I think you've got a chance to make this a very popular game for the crowd that bought Think Tanks. Their target audience was people who grew up playing the early 3D games but are now too busy to play the super hardcore games so they created a casual core game. Something you can jump into quick and get a real gameplay experience. This Polymaniacs is better though because it has more vehicles and character as well as the flat shaded polygon aesthetic which will ring true for anyone who played early 3D games like Virtua Fighter, Hard Drivin', Star Fox, etc...

Just keep your goal in mind, other people having fun (and paying you for it) ;) Don't let anything get you down. There's no way to make a game perfect without lots and lots of iteration and play testing. It's been reported that Nintendo builds their games and upward of 3 times from scratch before releasing them. It's not that Miyamoto is such a genius that he nails it the first time out, it's that he doesn't give up in the engineering process of the game. Just keep plugging away until most people are giving you good feedback with no regrets.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#90]
I'm not really sure how to kill people, but I had a blast just driving around.

And I agree it needs music... not anything amazing but at least something in the background.

Of if you're lazy just let the use put a CD in and play it, or pick a sound file on their computer.

Actually that would be cool.

Great work!

Xip(Posted 2008) [#91]
Well, i playd it again, and this time longer.

the cars might not be so imbalanced as i first thought, it was harder to notice balance in sandbox mode(as i playd first time), deathmath showd up some very different feelings on evrything ;)

the AI might need some work tho, even tho i spend allot of time laughing at cars stupidly running into tree's right infront of them, like radio-cars bumbing in to eachother... hehe

the second map also had a HUGE problem with that vulcano in the middle, ALL cars turned up in the hole, and almost never more than 1 outside at any given time, and ofcourse... the second one car is in the pit, all other are magneticly drawn to it ;-P

something that i noticed after 30mins of play, was how enoying the police&ambulance siren's become, i dident check for any audio turn-off settings, and some background music might have soften it out, i also anderstand the reason for them ofcourse(nice to know where the amulance is).
but maybe you should add some sort of map or pointers on screen in direction of amulances insted of constant "waow waow waow" sounds?

A nother interesting thing was, that i had to close the game becus i started to feel dizzy(lol), something that almost never happens to me, and i Play LOTS of 3d games and fps'es, not sure how this could be solvable... all the driving round&round feels like a part of the game play.

its not complains relly, only things that i noticed playing it, all notes aside, this is defenetly my favorit Blitz game of all times :)

looking forward for any updates on this :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#92]
For the helicopter controls I highly recommend using the WASD or cursors along with the mouse for steering. This way you can move forward and back or strafe on the keys and then turn with the mouse. Also you could use one mouse button to shoot and another to elevate. That would be very easy especially for PC gamers who are used to these sort of controls.

I disagree. I personally found the helicopter controls to be intuitive, perfectly satsifactory, and consistent with the rest of the game and/or vehicles. It was because of this latter point that I found it so easy to work out which buttons to push, after playing the land-based vehicles. Compared to a land-based vehicles, helicopters aren't meant to be as straightforward to control. That being said, it's not at all difficult (my 5yr old son enjoyed very much blowing my poor lil Humvee away repeatedly) and the relative lack of control combined with supreme firepower helps make it fun.

If it adds at all to my credibility, I play PC games and have credit cards. ;o)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#93]
Well there you go some like them as they are. You should statistically track the responses to get an accurate measure. BTW I'll be playing with the dual analogs and personally haven't used the keyboard. I was just attempting to explain why other people were put off by the controls.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#94]
OK, now I'm back having played the latest build with some solid feedback. The new analog controls are great. The copter is now perfect. It's manageable and yet still feels like you're on the verge of disaster. It's just enough to be fun. It reminds me of the warthog in Halo (on Xbox). It's very fun to drive and it's controllable but it slips and slides like it has some real power.

I'm really looking forward to this game. One thing you must do though is allow the menus to be navigated with the keyboard and mouse or the joystick without taking your hands off whatever input device you're using. One great thing we came up with for Aerial Antics was the use of a letter dial that can be used to enter names etc... It works just as well on an analog pad as it does with a mouse and avoids having to use the keyboard although you could just as easily allow all 3 input devices to then enter text.

I still need to get my buddy over here to play but I just moved so maybe next week. Are you going to add networked multiplayer to this? I think that's a must as well as mod tools. If you bring a community aspect to this project it's going to dominate.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#95]
I've played all modes now and with the Xbox 360 pad this game is just a blast. The targeting still needs work. For example in the helicopter it should at least tell you which target you're aiming for like the tank does. I know the tank isn't heat seeking but still this is necessary as I found myself accidentally shooting my own guys with the copter.

Copland is also great fun. I can't really see anything wrong with that mode. It's just a blast flinging the spikey ball around into all the little cop cars which are going nuts. Truck hunt was fun too. The tank controls and the truck controls seem fine.

My requests:

- Menus that can be navigated with the gamepad, mouse, or keyboard
- I agree with someone above who didn't like the screen freezing when it was waiting for input ... don't use waitkey ... it's just fugly ;)
- Helicopter lock-on visual cue like the tank's
- Networked multiplayer
- Mod tools, landscape editor and vehicle creator ... it would be kinda like Spore meets Twisted Metal circa 1992.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#96]

the AI might need some work tho, even tho i spend allot of time laughing at cars stupidly running into tree's right infront of them, like radio-cars bumbing in to eachother... hehe

the second map also had a HUGE problem with that vulcano in the middle, ALL cars turned up in the hole, and almost never more than 1 outside at any given time, and ofcourse... the second one car is in the pit, all other are magneticly drawn to it ;-P

In the readme I mention that the AI is just a WIP. I assign different behaviour states to individual vehicles each having a number of sub states. I have a colour coded collision grid which the AI's will use for pathfinding eventually but atm they do not use it so have no knowledge of their surroundings .. just where other vehicles are in their FOV. I personally like it when they do silly things so I will retain an element of this but they will navigate the landscape with a bit more savy in future.

something that i noticed after 30mins of play, was how enoying the police&ambulance siren's become, i dident check for any audio turn-off settings, and some background music might have soften it out, i also anderstand the reason for them ofcourse(nice to know where the amulance is).
but maybe you should add some sort of map or pointers on screen in direction of amulances insted of constant "waow waow waow" sounds?

Agreed. It's grating after a while. I'll be adding an option to turn recurring sounds off.

One thing you must do though is allow the menus to be navigated with the keyboard and mouse or the joystick without taking your hands off whatever input device you're using

This is a tricky one. Until the user configures they're contols - in particular the analogues it will be difficult to allow them to use this for the menu's. I'll need to have a think about this.

A nother interesting thing was, that i had to close the game becus i started to feel dizzy(lol), something that almost never happens to me, and i Play LOTS of 3d games and fps'es, not sure how this could be solvable... all the driving round&round feels like a part of the game play.

A free pack of motion sickness pills?!

I was just attempting to explain why other people were put off by the controls.

Well the reality is that YOU seem to be the only one put off by keyboard controls for the chopper and you're playing with dual analogues - go figure!

The targeting still needs work

Agreed as stated above.

Are you going to add networked multiplayer to this?

No plans for this atm. Getting the physics working over a network it no simple task, added to the fact I've no networking experience. Perhaps for a future update but not atm.

I hope to add an integrated level editor but this is not a priority. I already have one built but it's not so end-user friendly.

Copland is also great fun. I can't really see anything wrong with that mode. It's just a blast flinging the spikey ball around into all the little cop cars which are going nuts. Truck hunt was fun too. The tank controls and the truck controls seem fine.

Vanakazi is the latest addition where the aim is to self destruct to kill the Vans to score points. The AI's current level of stupidity make it great fun with a few mates - especially taking out 4 at once!

Thanks folks

Stevie

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2008) [#97]
Well Xip had this to say above:

helicopter - well... hard to control, extra so when im using arrow keys and fire-ing with ENTER(defult). constantly found my self spinning around and round.

He went on to say that it can decimate a lot of stuff, but that doesn't really excuse the fact that it was hard for him to control. It'd be better to make it playable for everyone and then balance the weapons. Make it easy to play and difficult to master.

Controllable = Easy to Play

Weapon Balance = Difficult to Master, for example you might not want to match up against another certain vehicle if you're in the copter. Of course you want to be able to control it well enough that you can choose who to attack or run away from.

Anyway, that was the only other complaint other than my dual analog one so probably nothing to worry about. I'm happy with the controls myself.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#98]
Ok - that makes two of you. The reality is that no matter how easy you make controls - some people are simply uncoordinated and bad at playing computer games. Should I really have to cater for this minority? Nope, I don't think so. A bad attitude? Nope, I don't think so. I'm kinda done on this topic now but if anyone else has issues speak now or forever hud your wheesht.

Thanks for the feedback - the majority of which I've taken on board.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#99]
Oky, before this goes out of control.

it might have taken me a while to get used to, but the second time around it was not a big problem (after all, im used to fly helicopters in other games), my bigest consern was the defult key map, where my fingers had problem turning the chopter, raising in attitude, and fireing weapon at the same time, maybe the defult settings for KEYBOARD-1 could be changed?

anyway, it dont bother me much.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#100]
one thing i have noticed is sometimes i get framerates of well above 50, more like 100-200 and yet other times i get rates of around 24. this usually happens with the chopper. the blades start going fast and i can turn super fast.

settings:
shadows--min
everything else normal cept camerarange, which is a little less

specs:
amd 64 X2 mobile
1.9gb ram
nvidia geforce 7000m

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#101]
@ mtnhome3d - which games and how many teams / players?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#102]
2 teams, sandbox and deathmatch,1 player

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#103]
No idea I'm afraid. Are you doing anything in the background? If you turn the dynamic shadows off does this give you a decent speed boost?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#104]
i have turned them off, but the frame rate doesn't appear to be locked at 50, if it was background stuff shouldn't bother it except to slow it down. other than this it runs great and is very fun to play. can't wait to see the finished product.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#105]
The frame rate is locked at a MAX of 50 fps. If your CPU or GPU can't keep up then it will run as fast as it can. Render tweening is not an option for me due to the nature of the physics engine.

caff_(Posted 2008) [#106]
Bump - this got featured in PC Zone magazine's 'freeware' section this month (January 2009) as 'one to keep an eye on' :)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#107]
Thanks for letting me know. Any chance of a scan?

caff_(Posted 2008) [#108]
Sure - it's only a small boxout but I'll scan it at work tomorrow.

[edit] Actually it's probably quicker to type it out :)

"We don't normally include alpha versions of games in these hallowed pages, but Polymaniacs impressed us enough to warrant such coverage.

Think back a few years now to Offroad (issue 102) a racing game where you traversed various types of terrain while trying to achieve various goals. This is almost exactly where Polymaniacs is coming from, just that it is doing so for free and looks far more like Micro Machines as it does so.

Even at this alpha stage, there are an impressive number of options available - time trials, deathmatches, team games and so on - and we can only assume these will be fleshed out with more maps and vehicles as time goes by. The graphics are simple, but that's the point - it doesn't play up it's devotion to polygons for nothing.

As it is, Polymaniacs is definitely one to keep an eye on - it could turn into something special, especially if they add some kind of online multiplayer to the mix.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#109]
I really enjoy that and the graphics is great :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#110]
Did they add a download URL perchance?

Oh... and I wasn't under the impression this was gonna be freeware when it was done. Have they assumed too much?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#111]
yeah... u could definitely sell this but giving it away as freeware would be great as well.

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#112]
Well done Stevie, nice write up.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#113]
Have they assumed too much?

Yeah, they have. I'd rather not give away all the hard work for free but I'm more interested in actually finishing it than making money. They've also assumed that I'm working in a team although I hope to have someone on board next year - you know who you are ;)

hockings(Posted 2008) [#114]
Stevie,
As a long time fan of your poly demos, the latest is no exception to the high standard of gameplay and fun. It's great to see someone focusing on gameplay rather than graphics that won't work on even the latest graphics cards when at the highest resolutions. I love the old-school poly look anyway! In this day of carbon copied shoot-em-ups, a lot of game makers should take a leaf out of the Stevie G gameplay manual with "gameplay" and "originality" written on every page.

I only have one thing which I find a letdown about this game, I get motion sickness and can't play it for too long (I curse the slowly aging body that doesn't allow me to play games for hours straight like it once used to!)

Looking eagerly forward to further alpha, beta, and production versions.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#115]
Did I miss the release? ;)

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#116]
Maybe each demo should come with a sick bag so that the carrot dont clog the keyboard (re: Motion sickness)