Polymaniacs - Recent Footage

Community Forums/Showcase/Polymaniacs - Recent Footage

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#1]

Blip Tv
http://blip.tv/file/1173434/

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHSz6zcmNHI

Footage runs at about 60% full speed to show physics in action.

Alpha demo will be ready soon once I change the placeholder gui for the 3d version.

p.s. I can't believe I spelled the name wrong in the video!!

ervin(Posted 2008) [#2]
Oh yes.

REALLY looking forward to this one.
Stuff like this is why indie gaming is such an exciting area to be involved in.

Just curious - do you store the whole level in memory at once?
Or do bits get created/destroyed as they are needed during gameplay?

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
Looks very nice! I watched the vid for a bit, but never really could visually grasp what the goal of the game is?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#4]

Just curious - do you store the whole level in memory at once?
Or do bits get created/destroyed as they are needed during gameplay?

Yes. The whole level is held in memory. The levels are quite low poly - less than 10k polys in most cases.

The mini-game ideas are very simple :

Survival - Each team has an offroad with no weapons, chased by a team of tanks with a set number of lives - last team standing wins.

Copland - First team to kill a set number of cop cars wins.

Deathmatch - First team to kill a set number of enemy vehicles wins.

The Light - First team to be first to the light a set number of times.

Stevie

ervin(Posted 2008) [#5]
Do you need any more ideas for mini-games?

For some reason I think driving a military vehicle fitted with a flame thrower would be enormous fun. Perhaps a tank.
First team to burn x% of something (trees/houses/whatever) wins.

This would be quite different to long range gameplay, as you'd need to get close to your objectives due to the low range of the flamethrower.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#6]
All ideas welcome - not sure about the flamethrower idea for the trees etc.. as they are just part of the level. May consider adding a new military vehicle with the ability to torch other vehicles.

Latest one is Vanakazi - your vehicle has a self destruct button, first to destory as set number of transit vans.

There's going to be Racing, Rollerball, Curling, Golf , Zombie, Protect the fort and loads of other customisable variations of each mini-game in the final game as well as loads of single player timed challenges.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#7]
I still love this game.

What it reminded me of this time is Return Fire - have you ever played it? The first one was in 2.5d, but it had your kind of cartoony style to it. Download.com still has the demo, you should try it out.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#8]
Looked nice, good physics, gameplay looks fun (I haven't played it) but the one noticeable thing from the video on YouTube is there is no sound (although I'm sure that will be put in eventually). I couldn't tell what the point of the various mini games was from the video other than fly/drive around and cause chaos.

Regarding additional / alternative ideas:

Will the players have to 'unlock' content/levels/mini games or do they have access to play any of them at will. My preference is for the ability to be able to have access to any and all gameplay features right from the start - why prevent less capable users from getting the most fun out of the game.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#9]
There is plenty of sound effects - just didn't record the sound in that video.

I did plan on having various vehicles / levels and mini-games unlockable by beating a series of challenges - to ensure some sort of progress and sense of achievement but alot of the content will be there from the beginning.

What it reminded me of this time is Return Fire - have you ever played it? The first one was in 2.5d, but it had your kind of cartoony style to it. Download.com still has the demo, you should try it out.

Yeah, I've played that before - didn't really think about it before but I do allow you to possess other vehicles in your team in some of the games.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#10]
I have to say, this game looks briliant, and lots of fun! xD