Little bubbly worlds

Community Forums/Showcase/Little bubbly worlds

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#1]
EDIT 2: updated 15/08/08

Following on from the effect I made for this thread, here's a pleasant little game.

Bubblyworlds

It's a game that requires patience, because everything happens quite slowly. Use the arrow keys or a joystick to move your little circle about and navigate the worlds. The jewels will be attracted to you and can help push about the bubbles.

That's all for now.

Amon(Posted 2008) [#2]
Lol, that was fun. :)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
Trippy! There's a very cool game waiting to happen using this foundation. ;)

Oddball(Posted 2008) [#4]
Awesome as usual Warpy.

That's all for now.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#5]
Updated the exe. I've got an idea of how to make this into a game now, though my mum says it's fine just to play as it is.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#6]
It's neat, but I'm not sure if something went wrong, I accumulated some of the dots and was in a large red circle and then dashed towards the other edge of the circle and did not collide with it, instead passed right through and then all the dots that were inside the other circles suddenly started to escape from them. Not sure if this is what you intended or not.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#7]
I've updated it again. It's now almost a proper game.

The aim is to get as high as you can. The jewels are floaty, so you should try to keep them with you in your ascent. Bubbles get heavier the higher they go, so you need to keep switching to new bubbles to proceed. The problem is, bubbles that don't have any colours in common can't merge and will bounce off each other.

I've added some nice sounds, courtesy of the freesound project.

Thanks for your feedback so far, I'd like to know if anyone thinks this version is an improvement on how it was.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hmm, had no idea about the aim of the game, not the slightest bit obvious ;-)

Maybe you need to make it so that there is a sense of height, or that you're looking at a vertical environment - add something with gravity?

Also had no idea the colors meant anything other than for show.

Still, will give this new one a try. [EDIT] your download link no longer works[/edit]

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#9]
It's working for me.

My last post was describing the aim in the new version, so of course you didn't see any of it.

Cartman(Posted 2008) [#10]
Very interesting demo, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Looks fantastic though.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#11]
nice update! Though I'm confused what the lines drawn from a cicle to a grey block means. Also, it took me a while to figure out that the line colors corrospond to whether or not the circles can mix.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#12]
Heh, I'm thinkin that the lines are "probably" an error/glitch, but hey what do I know lol. What confuses me is why sometimes I can't move the bubbles in the direction I want them to.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#13]
yeah, control over the bubble should be easier and faster