Event Scheduler

Community Forums/Showcase/Event Scheduler

USNavyFish(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey folks. First contribution to the community.. hope someone finds this useful, either as part of their own program or as an example of Reflection.

Note how once initialized, the scheduler is entirely hook-based. The 'main loop' of my example program does nothing but draw to the screen. All scheduled method calls ('FutureEvents') are hooked from the scheduler's main timer.

USNavyFish

P.S. I'm new to working with callback functions for user input, so I'm not sure if the input handler I built for the example program is a very smart way of doing it. If you prefer another method, I'd like to know what you do! Thank you in advance..

Rem 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Scheduling Program
	Bryan Fishman (USNavyFish), AUG 2008

This program was designed to provide an easy means of scheduling the execution of events within a game
or simulation.  The system was designed for minimal overhead.  It is not designed for extremely high
time sensitivity, and use of a time resolution less than one hundredth of a second is not recomended.

Essentially, the system provides an array where each cell represents one 'moment' of time.  When events
are scheduled, this system places them in the appropriate cell which represents the moment of execution
for that event.   The system then simply checks one cell per 'moment' and executes any event stored there.
In this manner, the system can support an extremely large number of concurrent and overlapping events, without 
any performance loss, as the program is not required to loop through all scheduled events during every cycle.  

This program provides two Custom Types:

A"TFutureEvent" type with the following functions, methods, and fields:
		|| Field obj_:Object	The targe objet whose method will be called
		|| Field method_:TMethod This is the specific method which will be called
		|| Field args_:Object[] An object array containing the arguments to be passed
		||
		|| Function  Create:TFutureEvent( obj:Object,methodName:String,args:Object[] )
		||		-This function creates and returns the FutureEvent. 
		||		-'methodName:String' is the exact name of the method that will be called
		||
		|| Function invoke:object() executes the FutureEvent.

A "TScheduler" type with the following functions and Globals  (There are no Methods or locals)

|| Global TimeArray_Length:Int   			Size of the TimeArray (# of cells)
		|| Global TimeArray_StepDuration:Float   	Duration of time represented by each cell

||		- Note that (Length * Duration) yields the furthest schedulable time
		||		- i.e. 3600 cells of 1 second duration each allows events to be scheduled 
		||			up to one hour (inclusive) in advance.
		||
		|| Global TimeArray:TList[]		Each cell stores a list of scheduled TFutureEvents
		|| Global CurrentIndex:Int		Current Index of the Time Array
		|| Global ScheduleTimer:TTimer  	System Timer for Scheduler object
		||
		|| Function Initialize(Length:Int = 3600 , Seconds:Float = 1)
		||		- Call this once at the beginning of your program
		||		- For a schedule that can store events up to 24 hours (inclusive) into the future,
		||			and that has a schedule resolution of 0.1 seconds, use the following parameters:  
		||			Length = 3600 * 24 * 10
		||			Seconds = 0.1
		||		- Each Index specified by Length requires 4 bytes of memory. The above example requires
		||			a total of ~3.3 MB of memory at runtime.
		||
		|| Function Begin()
		||		- Activates the system timer
		||		- Call this once you wish to actually begin schedule execution.
		||		- Events may be scheduled both prior to and during the schedule's execution
		||
		|| Function ScheduleTimerHook:Object(id:Int, data:Object, context:Object)
		||		- Internal funciton, intercepts system timer hook (returns null if intercepted)
		||		- Calls the ScheduleAdvance and ScheduleExecute functions
		||
		|| Function ScheduleAdvance()
		||		- Internal function, advances current Schedule Index
		||
		|| Function ScheduleExecute(index:Int) 
		||		- Internal Function, executes all events scheduled for current time index.
		||		- This function removes all references to the scheduled events once executed
		||
		|| Function ScheduleEvent(event:TFutureEvent, SecondsDelay:Float)
		||		- Call this function to schedule an event which will execute once in the future,
		||			after the number of seconds specified by SecondsDelay has passed.
		||		- For example, when called with SecondsDelay = 20, the passed event will execute
		||			approximately 20 seconds after the "ScheduleEvent" function is called
		|| 		- Scheduling accuracy reduces as "SecondsDelay" approaches the TimeArray_StepDuration
		||			For best results, use a TimeArray_StepDuration value at least twice as short as
		||			your quickest-scheduled events.   For example, a program that regularly schedules
		||			events at intervals as short as 1 second apart should use a StepDuration value of
		||			at most 0.5 seconds. A value of 0.1 seconds wil provide much better accuracy.

Example usages of the scheduler function:

TScheduler.ScheduleEvent(TFutureEvent.Create(obj1 , "textoutput" , ["You Called Me!"]) , 2)
||
||This calls obj1's "textoutput" method, with the input parameter "You Called Me!", in two seconds from this call.

TScheduler.ScheduleEvent(TFutureEvent.Create(obj1 , "add" , [String(1)]) , 4) 
||
||This calls obj1's "add" method, with the input parameter of 1.  Note the floating point value must be converted
||into a string to be accepted by the function. This event will execute in four seconds.

TScheduler.ScheduleEvent(TFutureEvent.Create(obj1 , "multiparam" , [String(4.3),String(17),"TEXT"]) , 20) 
||
||This calls obj1's "multiparam" method, which accepts a float, an int, and a string as inputs to the method.
||Note how any non-string parameter inputs must be converted to strings using the String() function.  This
||event will be executed in 20 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End Rem

SuperStrict

Type TFutureEvent

Field obj_:Object 
	Field method_:TMethod
	Field args_:Object[]

Function Create:TFutureEvent( obj:Object,methodName:String,args:Object[] )
    		Local temp:TFutureEvent=New TFutureEvent
    		temp.obj_ = obj
    		temp.method_ = TTypeId.ForObject(obj).findMethod( methodName )
		temp.args_ = args

Return temp
  	End Function

Method Invoke:Object() 
		Return method_.Invoke( obj_,args_ )
  	End Method

End Type

Type TScheduler
	Global TimeArray_Length:Int
	Global TimeArray_StepDuration:Float
	Global TimeArray:TList[]
	Global CurrentIndex:Int
	Global ScheduleTimer:TTimer	

Function Initialize(Length:Int = 3600 , Seconds:Float = 1)
		Debuglog "Master Schedule Initialized"
		DebugLog "Schedule Outlook:    " + Length / Seconds + " Seconds"
		Debuglog "Schedule Resolution: " + Seconds + " Seconds"

TimeArray_Length = Length + 1		'One is added so total duration is inclusive
		TimeArray_StepDuration = Seconds
		TimeArray = New TList[TimeArray_Length]
		CurrentIndex = -1

End Function

Function Begin() 
		AddHook EmitEventHook , ScheduleTimerHook
		ScheduleTimer = CreateTimer(1 / TimeArray_StepDuration)
		DebugLog "Schedule Execution Commenced at System Time: " + CurrentTime() 
	End Function

Function ScheduleTimerHook:Object(id:Int, data:Object, context:Object)

Local ev:TEvent = TEvent(data)

If ev = Null Then Return Null

If ev.id = EVENT_TIMERTICK
			If ev.source = ScheduleTimer 

ScheduleAdvance() 
				Debuglog "ScheduleTimer Fires. Executing Index["+CurrentIndex+"]"
				ScheduleExecute(CurrentIndex)

Return Null

EndIf
		EndIf

Return data
	End Function

Function ScheduleAdvance() 
		CurrentIndex = (CurrentIndex + 1)	Mod TimeArray_Length
	End Function

Function ScheduleExecute(index:Int) 
		If TimeArray[index]
			For Local event:TFutureEvent = EachIn TimeArray[index]
				event.invoke
			Next

TimeArray[index] = Null	'Removes all references to TList and stored TFutureEvents
		EndIf

End Function

Function ScheduleEvent(event:TFutureEvent, SecondsDelay:Float)
		Local index:Int
		index = Ceil(SecondsDelay / TimeArray_StepDuration)

If index > TimeArray_Length
			DebugLog "Critical Error!~nObject:~t" + event.obj_.tostring() 
			Debuglog "Scheduled Time (" + SecondsDelay+") converts to " + index + " future cells"
			DebugLog "This exceeds the length of schedulable time (" + TimeArray_Length + " cells)"

End
		EndIf

index :+ CurrentIndex + 1	
		index :Mod TimeArray_Length

If TimeArray[index] = Null Then TimeArray[index] = CreateList() 

ListAddLast TimeArray[index] , event

Debuglog "Event Scheduled for object $" + event.obj_.tostring() + " in " + SecondsDelay + " seconds."

End Function

End Type

And here's a short example program to demonstrate usage, etc

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#2]
Would there not be a period where the CPU is idle if an event triggers some code which is fairly short, where that time could otherwise be used by some background task?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks for the code

what kinds of things are you using it for?

You could just say.... If millisecs()>evenT_timer+event_interval
event_timer=millisecs()
do something()
Endif

but your system seems to be made for a greater purpose than just timing something
you are using hooks to detect input which is low-level (for me)

USNavyFish(Posted 2008) [#4]
@ ImaginaryHuman:

There is no idle time whatsoever, due to the use of Event Hooks. As soon as the scheduled function is executed, it returns. This is not an eventQueue.

@Paxman:

The solution you mention is equivalent to iterating through every single object each cycle, which requires a ton of overhead.

I'm using this code for a program which contains many hundreds or thousands of objects, each with independent 'schedules', such as "Produce X every 30 seconds" or "Consume X every 25 seconds", etc. Looping through the object list every cycle to check timestamps require hundreds or thousands of conditionals each cycle. Using a master schedule that is time-organized is a slightly better solution, but requires schedule sorting/seeking when an event is scheduled. My solution provides the minimum amount of overhead, because only one cell must be checked each cycle, and inserting new events into the proper location is the matter of a very simple two-operation equation.

Make sense?

EDIT:

I've been improving this code alot, so if anyone's interested I will gladly explain more. The use right now is for a trade simulation in which there are hundreds of trade posts and hundreds of NPC traders simultaneously active. The stations produce and consume commodities as regular intervals - so by using this method I can avoid having to cycle through the entire list of stations once every tick in order to determine whether or not enough time has passed for each station to consume/produce its next commodity.