The Attack of Mutant Fruits from Outer Space

Community Forums/Showcase/The Attack of Mutant Fruits from Outer Space

timeinvaders(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello,

We want to introduce our latest game, "The Attack
of Mutant Fruits from Outer Space", an old school shooter game, done with Blitzmax.

The game is freeware and we hope you enjoy it.

ABOUT THE GAME
When Human Beings have been destroyed themselves ... who will replace
them?. Trying to avoid the disaster, The Earth Alliance sent to another
planets the main fruits and vegatables seeds to have an ecological
reserve, but maybe ... is late. The Earth have a new enemy, from outer
space, The Mutant Fruits are crossing the galaxy to conquest our world.

FEATURES:

- 10 worlds.
- 8 melodies
- 12 enemies
- 3 weapons and a laser shield
- Keyboard and Joystick support. (Ready for arcade cabinets)

DOWNLOADS:
http://www.timeinvaders.com/downloads/mutantfruits.exe
http://www.timeinvaders.com/downloads/MF_manual_en.pdf

SCREENSHOTS:

INTERNET RANKING:
http://www.timeinvaders.com/hiscore.php

http://www.timeinvaders.com

Thank you very much for your attention,

Javier Gutiérrez
Time Invaders Games
http://www.timeinvaders.com

Filax(Posted 2008) [#2]
Very nice graphics :)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
Add mouse control for everything.
Add window mode.
First level is too hard. Make it much easier to get into the game.
I would consider making this shareware instead of freeware.

Awesome graphics, overall high presentation value. Good job!!!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yeah good production values but way to hard.

As MGE says, please add mouse control and normal buttons. Tons more people will please it. Also when entering my name, I couldn't get it to accept what I'd entered. I pressed Space (button 1) but nothing happened. Nor did enter or escape etc. As it's a PC, how about a normal text input for the high score.

Also I felt that the screen fades (and splash screen) were too long.

If you make this easier (and add some variety and powerups) + mouse control, you could probably get it on Reflexive. Or use your obvious skills to make a new game :-) Website looks good too btw.

amonite(Posted 2008) [#5]
Good game !

I'm going to repeat what the others wrote :

Too hard to play, it would be more enthralling for the player to begin with easy levels and have the difficulty slowly increased.
Very cute graphics !
You could add some power ups and bonuses too.

sswift(Posted 2008) [#6]
The name and graphics reminded me of my own game Attack of the Alien Space Beetles, (Which is still in development) so I decided to try this out.

This has the potential to be really good, but right now it is impossibly hard and takes too long and is too confusing to navigate the menus.

The first thing I'd do is remove the fadeout on the menus, or make it go much faster. (No fade out would feel more responsive and more solid.)

Then I would add the ability to get out of any menu by hitting ESC, and confirm any selection by hitting Enter.

Then I would add mouse support, and put a button to go back and/or confirm in a consistent spot on submenus, down near the bottom.

Then I would make the ship blink and be invincible for a few moments after being destroyed.

And lastly, the enemies need to be slowed down quite a bit at the beginning. I think in order for me to kill all of them consistently on the first level, they'd either have to be like 4x as slow, or move twice as slow, and fire twice as slow. Also, slowing down the bullets couldn't hurt.

But I mean, other than that, it's pretty polished. It could be a really nice little game if I could actually get past the first level.

timeinvaders(Posted 2008) [#7]
Hello,

Thank your for your comments, we appreciate it and we'll consider it to improve our games.

About mouse support:
This game was created thinking mainly for Arcade Cabinets, for that reason we used the keyboard as the main game controller. We will consider the mouse option.

MGE - Windows Mode
It's not documented, but pressing F10 from the main menu you can play in windows mode.

GREY ALIEN - Text Input
The game need a minumum of 3 characters to save the name. Use the button 2 to accept the character and button 1 to finish the entry.

ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY
We have made many changes about this. The actual difficulty is based on the experience of our betatester, a total of 16 persons.

We wanted to offer this game as freeware, but in the next months we are going to release a few commercial casual games, and we will consider your suggestions for to do better games.

Thank you,

Javier

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hi!

Nice game, but it is to hard for me :(

MGE(Posted 2008) [#9]
BTW: The arcade cabnet market is much smaller than you would think. I worked with a guy who builds cabnets who wanted to develop some custom games and sell them. Basically there was no market for them because of all the free stuff floating around. ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#10]
very nice graphics!

John Cage(Posted 2008) [#11]
Really nice outfit & graphics - but too hard for me also. Your betatesters are some kinda of supahumans from outer space:)

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#12]
Mutant is my keyword... Well done! ;)

puki(Posted 2008) [#13]
Looks nice and cutesey.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2008) [#14]
Jesus. That's too hard!

Speed up the menu fading and sort out the keyboard input. Ruins the game.

jsp(Posted 2008) [#15]
Nice graphics and good game, but too hard (or i am too old now ...)

Philip7(Posted 2008) [#16]
Now i'm a bit of a space invaders fanatic so i'm not really objective but this rocks. Finally a challenge! I made nr 1 op the highscore-list in 3 try's but i havent gotten past lvl 3-2. It's hard but i like that because usually i have to play for 20 minutes first before i get to the difficult part... but after 15 minutes i will have already stopped playing due to boredom.

But the game could do without the bend-over sound sample, its a bit unworthy for such a fantastic game. Try a joke that more acceptable for children like 'how about THEM apples' or a little inside joke (for the Family Guy fans) we all like 'The password is banana'.
Maybe 'The fruity will rule the galaxy' but that may be a little to daft.

timeinvaders(Posted 2008) [#17]
Hello,

We realeased today the Linux version.

It's available to download with the manual from ...

http://www.timeinvaders.com/downloads/mutantfruits.tar.gz

Enjoy it!

MGE(Posted 2008) [#18]
Downloaded again thinking you might have taken some of these suggestions more serious. Nope...

Still too hard.
Still no mouse support.

Why spend all this time on a the game if you're not going to "finish" it? I think you could make some money with this if you make it more casual friendly.

Seriously, please consider making it a shareware game for about $9.95 or so, add some proper mouse control and I would probably be your first customer.

timeinvaders(Posted 2008) [#19]
Actually we are developing a casual game and we are following all suggestions such us, mouse support, etc.

Again thank you for suggestions. We appreciate so much.

Thanks,

Javier

Steve Elliott(Posted 2008) [#20]
Nice - but is it any easier yet?

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#21]
How can I finish the highscore input? When I press key 1 as described, nothing happens....

Foppy(Posted 2008) [#22]
Very nice graphics and sound..

I think the way the ships keeps moving for a while even if you do not press a key could be removed to create direct control. Left key = move left, right key = move right, no key = stand still. This would enable the player to show more their skill instead of fighting the controls. Then the difficulty would be in avoiding more and faster enemies and bullets as the levels go by.

Still, nice job.

timeinvaders(Posted 2008) [#23]
TO FIRSTDEATHMAKER
The game need a minumum of 3 characters to save the name. Use the button 2 to accept the character and button 1 to finish the entry.