QucikSand version 1.2

Community Forums/Showcase/QucikSand version 1.2

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#1]
(Ignore the typo in topic name, that's very irritating that I can't fix it..)

QuickSand is my version of the Falling Sand Game, which you may have heard of. It is a 2D physics simulation with its main feature being the interaction between elements. One of the greatest things about Falling Sand Games, which almost all implement, is their moddability. You can make your own elements and interactions for QuickSand by modifying Physics.txt.

You can follow QuickSand's progress here (my username is madk) and QuickSand v1.2 can be downloaded here.

The only bugs I am aware of are dealing with the icons which represent the elements, which are not yet perfect, and the UI controls may be a bit unresponsive. QuickSand is written in BlitzPlus.

Please notify me if you find any bugs not listed here, anything out of place, or if you have any suggestions. QuickSand is still a WIP, and the next version, 1.3, will probably be final. Look here to see features planned for the next release.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#2]
I loved the fullscreen one, Making it windowed and this small isn't good in my opinion :P

Oh and a bug:
You're reading the coordinates from the screens 0, 0 point instead of the windows 0, 0 point.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#3]
Glad you liked it, but what do you mean by that with the bug?

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best.
When I have the window in the top left corner it's working fine.
But when I move the window towards the middle of the screen the mouse gets more and more out of relation to the window.

So you're probably checking the mouse position relative to the screens origin point (0, 0), instead of checking the mouse position relative to the Windows position. Might just be a Vista bug I don't know :)

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#5]
I only tried window mode but it crashes. see if you can replicate it:
I created a curved wall (like a bowl) left to right, half the width of the window, right in the middle, slgtly fast so that it would create it with gaps/holes. I selected water then started spraying water by continually moving left to right a bunch of times right above the wall. while I was doing that it crashed.

I can duplicate it everytime.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#6]
@Hule
Ouch, I need to fix that right away.

@Jesse
versions 1.0 and 1.2 are the only really stable versions. I cannot replicate the bug with 1.2; what version are you using?

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#7]
version 1.2. I realize now that it does that with any of the particles.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#8]
hmm, i get major graphicsl glitches- i think the pixmap format is nonstandard?
I can't get a screenie reliably- it keeps crashing when trying to get the state visible.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#9]

Please give more details on your glitches, and this is in B+ not Bmax.

What are you talking about..?

And go to www.freewebs.com/grasshopperinteractive to download a more recent version.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#10]
OK, managed to get a screenshot without crashing it.

I downloaded 1.32 just earlier- did you JUSt update to 1.33? I didn't see that earlier.

Anyway, 1.33 still does it.

both crash when you click and drag the mouse of the window.

This looks to be awesome if you can fix it! :-)

OK- v1 and v1.1 work, after that, the above happens. :-)

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#11]
O.o What in the name of...

Check how much memory your computer has free. QuickSand takes up around 620,000 bytes of memory. It's not that much, but just so you know how much free memory you'd need.

You're also the first person to have any problem even remotely similar to this...

What OS are you using?
Do other B+ applications normally work on your machine?
Is that gameplay footage or is that what it looked like on startup?

I'm not an expert on this stuff. If you could tell me what might be causing that, I'm all ears. My best guess is you don't have enough free virtual memory so it's using memory from other programs and other programs are using memory from it.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#12]
I'm not an expert on this stuff. If you could tell me what might be causing that, I'm all ears. My best guess is you don't have enough free virtual memory so it's using memory from other programs and other programs are using memory from it.

Windows doesn't reallocate memory which is being used elsewhere, that's not possible. My best guess would be the graphics driver. Isn't there an option in BlitzPlus to set the graphics driver to something else? I vaguely recall there being options to set either OpenGL, DirectDraw, or GDI as the driver.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#13]
Well, I have 4gb of Ram and 3 of it free- Xp64, ATi 3750, no previous issues.

I only reinstalled the OS about 3 weeks ago, and the machine is only 5 months old.

To me, it looks like an image format issue- not as in BMP/JPG, but how the pixels are laid out in memory. This could be how you are accessing the data, (if you are using an external lib?) or just a driver problem.

Whatever the cause- code side, its something that changed between v1.1 and 1.2.

it's gameplay footage- as you draw a wall, the above happens. you can see the dynamic pixels just fine, but the actual initial drawing is buggered.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#14]
I use a regular 2d array.

I think I started using a revamped drawing system between those versions, although it shouldn't cause those problems.
Basically, it just restricts itseelf from drawing pixels that don't need to be drawn.

I'll look into the drivers, that could be the issue.

Also, there is a discussion thread here: http://www.fallingsandgame.com/viewtopic.php?t=7867
That I actually check more often than this one.
It'd be appreciated if you could post your replies there, instead.