Dungeons of Yore *almost* done, your comments?

Community Forums/Showcase/Dungeons of Yore *almost* done, your comments?

Matty(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello again,

please find available for download my current game here:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Etmalcolm/tom/setup.exe

(32MB)

here are some *new* screenshots:

I have included an instruction manual in the download, it should
appear in your start menu upon installing as a pdf file.

The game is a turn based tactical fantasy 'rpg' style combat game
set in a dungeon with a variety of enemies.

Your comments, positive and negative are welcomed - negative comments
being especially useful when it comes to improving any flaws or perceived
flaws in the game.

from Matt

...this game will be freely available when it is finished.
...however that does not give anyone license to use the media in
their own projects..fairly obvious I guess but I thought I'd state it.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#2]
...this game will be freely available when it is finished.
...however that does not give anyone license to use the media in
their own projects..fairly obvious I guess but I thought I'd state it.

the puki disclaimer ;)

i like the gfx, will dl it monday and give it ago as im meant to be camping this weekend (only 10 mins down the road but i like to get a bit of 21st century in before noon)

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#3]
Only suggestion I have is for the HUD, perhaps some other background instead of the dark gray? I am on my way to bed, but with a quick play, I really like it.

the puki disclaimer ;)
Where did he scamper off to?

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
Too many torches on the wall, and maybe tone down the smoke from torches aswell.

Other then that it looks pretty cool!

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#5]
I've not had time to download and play this but judging from the screenshots, the textures look too grey and muddy and the GUI needs refining.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#6]
I've not had time to download and play this but judging from the screenshots, the textures look too grey and muddy and the GUI needs refining.

The games pretty fun. Even from the first test-release of it, with horrible gui, I enjoyed it.

It's definitely coming along nicely Matty, I really enjoyed the first test, so this should be great. Also, it's going to remain completely free? You people scare me sometimes...

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
Letter spacing is too much. How did you do the graphics for the tiles and objects?

markcw(Posted 2008) [#8]
*rubs eyes*

That's not a form of cel-shading around the characters and creatures is it Matty?

Looking nice, is this a beta tester version?

Matty(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hello all,

Ginger Tea - 'the puki disclaimer' - exactly who I had in mind....

Duffer - yes the HUD does need more work, I'm not too happy with the little control panel and will work on getting something that looks a lot better for that, eventually.

Plash - thanks - there probably are too many torches, (also agree with the smoke) - it's pretty easy to fix thankfully, will have to play around with it some more to get a better idea.

JustLuke - I'm not sure how I'd change the textures, I'm a little unhappy with the pillar textures but thought the floors, walls & doors looked okay myself. You are right about the gui though.

Retimer - thanks for the positive feedback, yes it will remain free although I have to make some more licence arrangements regarding the music to do this.

Plash - I'll have to look into the letter spacing. The tiles and objects I paid to have someone make, but they are just standard meshes with a diffuse texture and lightmap over them.

markcw - not cel-shading just an unintended side effect of how I do my character graphics. It pretty much is a beta tester version, hope you enjoy playing it.

Thanks,

Hope you all enjoy playing...

EDIT - I've found a few more bugs myself (Console does not update correctly, also character shadows are not quite right - but they're close enough to hopefully go unnoticed most of the time) but I'd still like to hear from those who've played it if there are any things that need improvement. Thanks,

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#10]
I like it. I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but I think it would help to use an A* pathfinder to allow you point to where you want your guy to go. Only way I found how to control the guys movement is with keyboard of the buttons on the hud, when I wanted to just point to where I wanted him to go.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#11]
The first time I saw 'BARBBARIAN' in the screenshot, I though it said BAR BAR IAN (three words). The font spacing would be a good thing to fix. Other than that, looks good!

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#12]
(Double post. Please delete.)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#13]
BAA BAA Ian

an excelent name for a warrior sheep ;)

Matty(Posted 2008) [#14]
Updated the download - most of the issues mentioned above have been dealt with, including:
font spacing, torch smoke, gui/hud.

Not all levels have been play tested, I know the first two are able to be completed but need to test further.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#15]
Bar Bar Ian? Should simply be: Barbarian ;)

Matty(Posted 2008) [#16]
MGE - I haven't updated the screenshots but the new download fixes the font spacing.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#17]
New screenshot:

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#18]
Hey,
this looks a lot like your last game matty.

COOL!

I loved that game.

Although this one looks even better graphically than the last one did.

I will download it as soon as possible, and keep up the good work :)

T he M igh ty WERD NA (Lor Dof Dark Ness)
;I can do font spacing too. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#19]
Looks good, the characters look great.

I dont like the gui though, it looks too... minimal (i cant quite put my finger on it :/) Try using some alternative shading on the border, and if its gold you are aiming for then it needs more highlight/reflection. I think i prefered the stone theme you started with.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thanks D4NM4N - I'm going to stick with the new GUI - I like it myself (also I can't change it myself - I've no clue when it comes to 2d gui graphics - I had some one else do the GUI for me).

Thanks WERDNA.

Also - I've playtested the first 3 levels, they can all be finished. Am midway through playtesting the 4th, it should be 'winnable' but it is certainly tougher than the others, much less margin for error.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#21]
This looks very impressive graphically. Am downloading now...., plays nicely, the graphics are grrreat.