Leadwerks Engine 2.1 and Sandbox features overview

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadwerks Engine 2.1 and Sandbox features overview

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmN7OLy6yUY

SSS(Posted 2008) [#2]
Very, very nice! As someone who used cartography shop back around version 3 this is a massive leap.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#3]
Wow, nice.

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
"Ledwerks"

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#5]
The shadows and light rays look good.

"Ledwerks"

Yes, "Lead", the chemical element. Symbol PB?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#6]
So do you have to buy the editor and the engine seperately, or do they come together in 2.0?

Amon(Posted 2008) [#7]
Damn that looks good. I got the email a few days ago to download 2.1 with the sandbox and josh states that the Sandbox is free for leadwerks engine owners.

Will check it out now.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#8]
They come together I think and price for 75 pounds is which cheap.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#9]
[kidding]

Trading a tv3d license for a leadwerks license! Any takers?

[/kidding, or am i?]

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#10]
you're not allowed to complain about TV3D now sonny,

nice work Josh

plash(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yes, "Lead", the chemical element. Symbol PB?
I was referring to the voice on the video, he says "ledwerks", instead of "leadwerks".

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#12]
I was referring to the voice on the video, he says "ledwerks", instead of "leadwerks".

Jesus wept.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2008) [#13]
Super... shame Im not into 3D, but this look great love the realtime physics and lighting.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#14]

"lead" is pronounced "led" though

you're not allowed to complain about TV3D now sonny,

None came up here. A simple opinion of new preference =P

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#15]
Looks pretty dam good. Love the dynamic lighting.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#16]
Josh- you continue to impress us with your work.

I've mentioned this in another thread and I will here again- I would really love to see how your engine integrates into BlitzMax. Specifically, I would like to see a compiled example .exe (perhaps in extremely simply level to walk around in) and then the BlitzMax code needed to create the example.

Furthermore, your website doesn't say what platform Leadwerks Engine runs on, but I assume Windows only. I have to say from personal experience, if any indie developer here isn't making games on Windows and Mac (and preferably Linux as well) you are at a huge disadvantage in the marketplace. The giant AAA developers realize they can't limit themselves to one platform or console, and as an indie dev you have to be equally platform-free or your product will be buried by other games before you are given a chance. Leadwerks Engine may be suffering from this as well- Torque has become the defacto standard for indie engines mostly because it compiles on Win/Mac/Linux/Xbox360, which is its greatest feature. There are better engines out there, but cross-platform compatibility is paramount.

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#17]
OMG that's super-amazing! I like that you have a solid, tidy editor beneath this. Lots of engines seem to have a nice foundation, but paint an ugly garbage editor on top.

Really nice :O

HNPhan(Posted 2008) [#18]
Tachyon, I've heard some people able to create stuff with LE2 for linux but they coded it with C++.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#19]
And to think that editor was made using MaxGUI. Fantastic stuff! Well-done Leadwerks (I always wondered how you pronounced it). ;-)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#20]
..video not available anymore..

plash(Posted 2008) [#21]
"lead" is pronounced "led" though
Doesn't sound right when you put "werks" at the end of it.

Dustin(Posted 2008) [#22]
Congrats, Josh. It's looking amazing. As it progresses I think your engine will have a great future.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#23]
huh...I always thought it was lead-werks, like the works that are leading the industry...ledwerks just sounds stupid.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#24]
The physics looked a bit wack at the end there. Is there a reason for that (because of certain settings) or...?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#25]
The ball's mass is 1000 times that of the dominos. It's like rolling a bowling ball at a pile of pencils.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#26]
It looks pretty nice to be able to play with editing in realtime, although the framerate was clearly quite slow - is that just that you were running it on a machine below the target spec?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#27]
could've been fraps causing the lag...because the mouse was going slow too, which implies that it was the video capturer.

plash(Posted 2008) [#28]
although the framerate was clearly quite slow - is that just that you were running it on a machine below the target spec?
Or because he was recording it??

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#29]
Josh,

as always - fantastic and very very exciting - Sandbox is an awesome piece of software.

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#30]
For the record I thought it was pronounced "ledworks" all this time too. Don't know why, when I could have assume "leadworks" as others did. Interesting...

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#31]
that is amazing! Demo? Soon?

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#32]
Incredible.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#33]
I don't imagine he'd get his own company name wrong.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#34]
The engine looks better and better. Great job!

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#35]
I don't imagine he'd get his own company name wrong.
Of course he could, he's American. Have you heard how they pronounce aluminium? :P

This looks great Josh -- with the code examples popping up in the Max forums, is there going to be a demo-mode module to play round with?

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#36]
with the code examples popping up in the Max forums, is there going to be a demo-mode module to play round with?

Code examples? Link me please ;-p

degac(Posted 2008) [#37]
Code examples? Link me please ;-p

In the BlitzMax Tutorial thread

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79309
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79333
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79343
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79354
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79393

Very well 'written' (they are in form of a video-tutorial, PDF and Zip file). Very professional in my opinion.

Snixx(Posted 2008) [#38]
c e o... aaaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaa

The r0nin(Posted 2008) [#39]
This is very impressive! How easy is it to integrate 2D (like a GUI or HUD) with the 3D. I'm seriously considering buying this (despite the fact that I'm a mediocre coder)... I'm that impressed...

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#40]
One user has created a GUI and another just implemented his own bitmap fonts. See http://forum.leadwerks.com

The r0nin(Posted 2008) [#41]
OK. And the DrawImage command in LE2.1 works the same as in Max2d (it doesn't have to be segregated into its own section in a Begin/End Max2d block or something)?

Filax(Posted 2008) [#42]
Alléluia !! Thanks degac

iamdaman13(Posted 2008) [#43]
I tried the Leadwerks demos and on my old nvidia 6500 card they run slowly, around 10fps. If I want to make a classic-looking game with no special shaders and running at a low resolution fullscreen, will I still see poor performance on my machine?

puki(Posted 2008) [#44]
Leadwerks Engine is suited to GeForce 8+ cards. I think you will struggle with your card.

You need to have at least an 8800GTS or a Radeon HD3870.

iamdaman13(Posted 2008) [#45]
That's a shame. I'd put my 8600 GT back in, but then I can't use nvidia's stereo drivers for my shutter glasses :( Can you turn off screen space ambient occlusion features in LE2 and use simple rendering methods?

puki(Posted 2008) [#46]
SPAO is not on by default.

However, you are trying to move the engine in the wrong direction and really do not want to go there with a 6500.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#47]
If I want to make a classic-looking game with no special shaders and running at a low resolution fullscreen, will I still see poor performance on my machine?

You can use lightmaps if you really want, and the performance will be much faster than Blitz3D. But why would anyone want to do that?

iamdaman13(Posted 2008) [#48]
Because I'm only looking to make a game with a classic feel and look, like the original Quake. I've already done so in TGE, but I'm tired of struggling with all of Torque's light leaks, and I'm looking for something that doesn't require me to compile c++ code everytime I want to make a change in the way something works.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#49]
You should probably use Blitz3D or something else that uses the fixed-function pipeline. It doesn't make sense to require an SM 3.0 card for a project with old graphics techniques.

Future versions might require OpenGL3 hardware, which would be something like DirectX10 requirements.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#50]
Are there any substantial exe demos to play with? Can't find any anywhere.