Grid Terminal

Community Forums/Showcase/Grid Terminal

_33(Posted 2008) [#1]
For anyone that is interested about having a flexible terminal system for a text based console for their game project.

For anyone that owns FastImage & FastExtend, I'm giving the sources for my terminal system for free (only if they really need it for their project). I wish I could turn this project into something more, like a community project, where I'd pick on ideas, mods, fixes from people to improve it and share the updates through the community (assuming the person owns a copy of Fast Libs). Right now, the code is portable to such an extent, that it is very simple to implement a text interface to any game project, with just a couple lines of code. So, anyone who needs to have a text interface for their project can easily integrate this, which hopefully will give all the features necessary for their projects. I'm really looking for feedback and feature requests! So, here is the latest redistributable sources: http://hosted.filefront.com/JackMoore/

Worklog: http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?log=1621&user=10319

You can find a TEST sample of a Console using Grid Terminal as a front end. At first, it might seem uncomprehensible, but when you get to know what you can do with a terminal interface like this, it can come quite handy. Specially this one which is an overlay for a 3D graphics mode.

I'm thinking of completing the manual someday, if I get enough demand for this, which I'll do on my free time of course, for the community. The GT library needs FastImage and FastExtend to operate.

When running the Console example:
- CTRL-W to switch the terminal focus ON / OFF
- There are a bunch of functions in the console. Type help to get a list
- quit will exit the application (ESCAPE does not work here, as it is the main key to access the CSI and enter some VT commands like so.
- The resolution that's set by default is 1280x960. Changing the resolution is possible at runtime with CSI_set_display_state. Ex.: ESC[1600;1200;;;· (the last character is ALT-250)

Keep in mind that all the VT and ANSI instructions are a programming interface for the terminal, not meant for user entry. But it is possible to enter by hand all of the codes to try them out. That is what I do when I test the system as I go along.

Cheers

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#2]
get an account on filefront, its free and you can put anything you want there plus the download speed is good. That is where I have my stuff

_33(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Jesse :)

_33(Posted 2008) [#4]
(empty)

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
get an account on filefront, its free and you can put anything you want there plus the download speed is good. That is where I have my stuff
Seconded.

Looks cool!

_33(Posted 2008) [#6]
(empty)

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
I wish I could turn this project into something more, like a community project
Not much of a 'community' around here anymore, best of luck.

_33(Posted 2008) [#8]
(empty)

_33(Posted 2008) [#9]
Grid Terminal got an update, and now it is possible to use it to draw levels for a 2D platformer.

Here I'm using 32 by 24 characters to design levels. The tiles are 64x64 pixels, displayed with scaling to fit ANY resolution using Grid Terminal, which is using FastImage.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#10]
user lib not found!
I get this on latest download.
looks good.

_33(Posted 2008) [#11]
user lib not found!
I get this on latest download.
looks good.

This will happen if you do not have a copy of the FastLibs installed. I mention that in the "readme.1st" document.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#12]
sorry, hate reading. dyslexic :).

_33(Posted 2008) [#13]
Worklog for the small game in coding titled TURBOCHOMP, all visuals are using Grid Terminal:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=10319&log=1625

_33(Posted 2008) [#14]
Allright, uploaded a small EXE of the title page for TURBOCHOMP to FileFront! I just want a reality check on the performance. If anyone would be so kind as to give me the fps seen on the top right corner (a rough estimate) and their system specs (gfx card + processor). This will tell me what to expect from the player's side of things, and I might tone down a bit on the graphics. Oh, and this is in 1280 by 960, but it should be fine by most(?).

http://hosted.filefront.com/JackMoore/