Silent Depth - a submarine game

Community Forums/Showcase/Silent Depth - a submarine game

Xaron(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all,

a few years ago I started with a project based on Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt). I like the underwater scenario so I decided to make my own game.

Initially I started with Blitzbasic, switched over to C++ with Irrlicht and I'm now back with Blitzbasic - my first love. *g*

We're still in some early development, but I want to show you some screenshots and how this will go on...

Regards - Xaron

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks pretty good man :o)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#3]
I like the look of the rounded `portal`, although I am wondering what all the dials mean, and will we need to know what they mean in order to play the game?

Xaron(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks! :)

Well there are:
lower left corner: multi function display
on the left: fin angle
top left: battery status and turbine rotation speed (important for noise level)
top right: rotation speed of the propeller (important for noise level)
right: variometer (sink and hike rate)
lower right: depth, speed and horizon

edit: There will be a HUD...

Regards - Xaron

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#5]
That's a really nice steampunk/Jules Verne style "cockpit". Do you have any more screenshots?

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#6]
Cool looking game Xaron.
I look forward to seeing more screenshots.

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord Of Darkness)

6(Posted 2008) [#7]
Looks good. So what is the game about? What do you you have to do in your submarine? And are there going to be any colossal squid making an appearance?

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#8]
Red October is going to be jealous :P
You seem to have done the same little journey of platforms, too.

The screenshot has me interested. So, I take it the torpedos are to dig little craters, then all those dials detail the atmosphere levels. But how do you expect these colonies of sea monkeys to live? Raising them always seems to end with mass extinction and horrible gut-wrenching guilt...

Xaron(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thanks! Well it'll just play in the future, where the mankind had to leave the surface of earth... So there will be underwater stations, travel, trading, fighting (against other fractions and pirates) and so on... ;)

More screenshots will follow. :)

Regards - Xaron

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nice HUD style.

There's a dearth of elite style submarine titles so it's interesting just for that.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#11]
It looks very '20,000 leagues'. Very atmospheric. Good luck with this one.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2008) [#12]
I want to play a submarine game - please make this the one.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#13]
The surface is perhaps radioactive? A geiger counter could be clicking away in the background. Some areas could be hotter than others.

This is a very clever idea. The ocean represents a vast area in which to put bases (i.e. levels) for an fps game. Old tech weapons (harpoons and knives) with the occasional laser blaster. The past and the future jumbled together, with nothing from the present in evidence.

Whatever you're planning it looks good so far.

For ideas on underwater bases:

I just found this wonderful link to photos and description of an old Soviet sub base that, while not itself completely underwater, has an incredible look and feel that should fit in with what you are doing. It looks like a video game! I just wish the pictures were bigger to see the details of some of the hardware.
http://www.archibase.net/archinews/7129.html

You've got to check out this review of actual underwater hotels! The first ones are impressive enough but the ones under construction look spectacular.
http://blog.hotelclub.com/top-five-underwater-hotels/

I also found this conspiracy theory of a alleged UFO base under the water off California (could this be a backstory in your game?):
http://www.hauntedpoker.com/true-hauntings/underwater-ufo-base.html

Anyway, cheers Xaron and good luck!

Xaron(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thanks all! :)

To be honest: I'm the developer. So I have a great artist on my side, my part is the coding...

Thanks Axel for these links, they're looking very interesting. And this radioactive thing isn't a new idea - Archimedean Dynasty had this at first.

We think about either radioactivity or a thick ice crust. There might be some hidden places where it would be possible to reach the surface...

The simulation aspect will be very important! So strafing, loopings, etc. won't be possible, there will be tides as well and so on...

Regards - Xaron

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#15]
I don't want to be pushy, but I'm going to have to insist on the presence of a mysterious lost subaquatic civilisation... ; )

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#16]

I don't want to be pushy, but I'm going to have to insist on the presence of a mysterious lost subaquatic civilisation... ; )

Lovecraft! The cult of Dagon. Xaron, if you have not read the short story Dagon by H.P. Lovecraft it is imperative that you do so immediately!

I just found the complete text online (Lovecraft is past copyright):

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/dagon.htm

There are various other Lovecraft stories that refer to Dagon and/or other submarine cults or gods or weirdness, but Dagon may be the only one that occurs underwater. It's also a quick read and truly demented.

The Lovecraftian aspect should only appear in hints at first and slowly increase in relevance as the game progresses, as is the way with Lovecraft stories.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#17]
Wait! Wrong story. The Temple is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thetemple.htm

It involves a submarine. Dagon is good as well, but I don't think it actually goes underwater.

Xaron(Posted 2008) [#18]
Ah thanks Axel, will read it... :)