Polymanics - Copland video

Community Forums/Showcase/Polymanics - Copland video

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#1]
Some 4 player splitscreen footage of CopLand. The winner is the first to kill a set number of cops.

http://blip.tv/file/1058755?filename=STEVIEG-POLYMANIACSVid6225.wmv

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#2]
Enough with the pictures already (they look great). When do we get to play it??

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
This game sounds immoral! ;-)

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#4]
Can't watch the video... :(

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#5]
@ Grisu, do you get a message?

This is just one of many mini-games. Things are going well but I need to sort out a few things first before an alpha demo, hopefully at some point this month.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#6]
The winner is the first to kill a set number of cops.

Sure isn't meant for the same audience of Animaniacs, but funny regardless.

It looks awsome, and polished for its style. Can I ask why you went for this poly style rather then realism? I'm all for originality and tired of the same old (new) crap, so *claps for you*.

Also:

-How will multiplayer work for this game? Will there be a server listings? Lan-only? Direct Connect to host'ee? Or will you host all the servers?
-What do you think about an achievement system? This game looks like the perfect template for one, as achievements seem to be the in-thing these days in games.

Time

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#7]

It looks awsome, and polished for its style. Can I ask why you went for this poly style rather then realism? I'm all for originality and tired of the same old (new) crap, so *claps for you*.

Cheers. To be honest I've always preferred computer games that look like computer games. I love the flatshaded polygon look and vivid pastel colours etc.. All this realism in game graphics does nothing for me. The added bonus is that due to the simplistic nature of the models, I can retain a consistent look throughout. There is nothing which looks worse than inconsistent media imo.

How will multiplayer work for this game? Will there be a server listings? Lan-only? Direct Connect to host'ee? Or will you host all the servers?
-What do you think about an achievement system? This game looks like the perfect template for one, as achievements seem to be the in-thing these days in games.

Unfortunately, the game will not be online - split screen for up to 4 players only. I have no networking experience and working with physics online looks like it'd be pretty tricky. The idea is that you play single player missions to unlock new mini-games, new vehicles and levels.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#8]
All this realism in game graphics does nothing for me.

You and me both..I've been called a 'retro-snob' =P
Unfortunately, the game will not be online

Ahh..that's too bad. I'll be looking forward to the demo regardless.

plash(Posted 2008) [#9]
The Wii goes on the same principles, if your game is that great why do you need all those fancy graphics?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#10]
A game really doesn't have to look or behave realistically in order to be fun, playable, and addictive. I got addicted to playing the online flash game BoomShine recently, it's very simple and just a bunch of 2d circles, but fun nevertheless.

The brain/mind really is quite capable of filling in the blanks and `interpreting` what it sees, otherwise it would not be possible to look at a drawing of an object and recognize what it is. Otherwise we'd never have gotten anywhere with less realistic looking games - we'd be staring at the screen wondering what the heck it means or represents. So from that perspective the player really does not NEED a game to look realistic in order to understand the game or know what the environment represents. A very low polygon object can quite easily be interpreted as what it represents, since people see their past experiences projected onto new experience. Thinking that graphics have to look realistic really is not anything to do with helping the user be able to understand what they're looking at, it's really more to do with just proving that you can make it `realistic` and perhaps a little more `convincing`. Take art for example, if you paint a picture with a paintbrush the picture may not be photorealistic but the mind can interpret what it's looking at and see a scene there, instead of just brush strokes. Games really don't need to be realistic looking - realism is just another branch of art.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#11]
No error message: I'm on FF3.0 here.

Anyway, are there police helicopters too?
Do you have "road blocks"? That would be fun as well.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#12]
There are police helicopters but they just follow you around. None of the police vehicles have special abilities - they just chase you relentlessly. There is an ambulance vehicle which restores some of your life when you smack into it too.

Don't have any road blocks atm but might add them.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#13]
Do the police helis cast some sort of light ray during the night?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#14]
Not at the moment but they will.