Lexicod - needs an overhaul

Community Forums/Showcase/Lexicod - needs an overhaul

ThePict(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here's a two player game I wrote in the 'no-longer-supported' BlitzBasic2D. I have recently purchased BlitzMax, and wow is it different. I think it will take me too long to re-write the whole thing on my own, so I wondered if anyone else would like a piece of the action.

Check out the Lexicod Website.
Click here!

I have one publisher very interested, but they are interested in the mobile phone gaming market and are correct in thinking there is still a lot to be done. A BB .exe cannot go straight onto a phone.

Anyway, take a look at the game. All I have to offer is the .exe for now - the source went missing along with the rest of the partition it was on, but I do have it backed up......somewhere......

Last edited 2010

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#2]
and im not too sure if max works on mobiles, most are java if memory serves

by no longer supported b2d do you mean the exe making but old version that came with pcplus and or another uk magazine years ago?
blitz 3d is the same beast but with the third dimention code slapped on
max would require some form of .bb to .bmx re coding
but a total rewrite in java if what i know of mobile gaming (not much) is accurate across the board

edit:
had a quick read of your about pages
well scrabble managed to stick a dictionarry into their 48k speccy version (although it did occasionally ask if a word was valid so it wasnt a huge dictionarry)
and a scrabble dictionarry (or is it dictionary ... i really cant be bothered to look it up) was ordered by word size, so im sure most countdowners would read read and read some more the pages of 9 letter words hoping to get the conundrum

10mb for the dictionarry?
wow for text that seems very large
im not even sure if the complete works of shakespear is that large (the large hard back edition is mind)

ThePict(Posted 2008) [#3]
I did manage to squeeze the dictionary down to about 400K.
What I always had invisaged was a Canvas style play area rather than a window. The problem with the window was if you tried to close it with the Cross Top Right the program froze, no, the whole computer froze, sometimes BSODing. I wrote a fast exit system for it calling it QuickBossExit, so I could continue writing it at work and while testing it could make it disappear immediately - recognising the potential added value of this for other office layabout players.

My main concern is that having bought the full version of b2d, then finding it was no longer current - within this web community anyway - I very recently bought BMax. I find Bmax cannot even run my old b2d source code - I have a steep hill to climb now learning BMax, and re-writing all of my games.
I see the great improvements BMax has to offer, and I don't regret paying a princely sum for it. I am just disappointed that it is so radically changed.

nawi(Posted 2008) [#4]
B3D can run your source code

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#5]
As can BlitzPlus... it takes just a couple changes to turn a B2D into B+ code as opposed to the overhaul with BlitzMax.

By the way I really like the website and the game... I recently made a word game myself.

ThePict(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks both for advice, and glad you like my work so far.

I got the B+ demo, and its quite good, but when it came to putting my money down I chose BMax (staring to regret it now.... oh dear)

I still want to make Lexicod playable over the internet, but never really understood the Net keywords and functions. Does anyone know of a 'dumbed-down' tutorial for these.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2008) [#7]
There are syntax changes from b2d to bmax but you can still move it over with not too much trouble. Just ask the question on code changes and im sure you'll get the help. Nice game btw.