Annoying misuse of terminology: "Lag".

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Annoying misuse of terminology: "Lag".

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#1]
You know what really irritates me? Misused terminology. Phrases such as "I could care less" spring to mind. Maybe I'm over-sensitive, but reading such things makes me grind my teeth. I want to give them a slap and say "No, it's 'I couldn't care less." For me, reading these sort of mistakes (along with the repeated misuse of words such as "your", "You're", "lose", "looser", "its", and "it's") are akin to someone running their nails down a blackboard.

But one word that has only relatively recently (but increasingly) been misused is the word "lag". It is not a term to describe general slowdown. If you're playing an offline game and the framerate stutters, you are not "lagging". Drives me mad, it does.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
You know what really irritates me? Misused terminology. Phrases such as "I could care less" spring to mind. Maybe I'm over-sensitive, but reading such things makes me grind my teeth. I want to give them a slap and say "No[i/], it's 'I [i]couldn't care less." For me, reading these sort of mistakes (along with the repeated misuse of words such as "your", "You're", "lose", "looser", "its", and "it's") are akin to someone running their nails down a blackboard.

But one word that has only relatively recently (but increasingly) been misused is the word "lag". It is not a term to describe general slowdown. If you're playing an offline game and the framerate stutters, you are not "lagging". Drives me mad, it does.
Agreed. Its almost annoying as when you post something, then realise you've posted it in the Blitz Showcase by accident. :P

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#3]
LOL

Plus, "these sort of mistakes" should be "these sorts of mistakes". But hey, I couldn't care less! ;)

It is not a term to describe general slowdown.

Actually, it many cases, it is. Originally it was used to refer to the laggy feeling of mouse movement, but now it can refer to any form of graphical slowdown. Generally people know what lag means, depending on the context in which it's used. But anyway, although the technical term has nothing to do with framerate issues, it can be used as 'gamer slang'.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#4]
I agree... It's damn annoying...

ect instead of etc springs to mind... Don't get me started though!

gamer slang
Oh please...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'll take gamer slang over a bunch of whining grammar nazis any day.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hey ya'll!

I literally COULD care less if people use some words wrong. Some words have multiple meanings like "gay". Lag, if someone is behind someone, he is "lagging" behind, or in other words he is "slower". People can use it anyway they'd like.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yep, that sounds about right.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lag

WendellM(Posted 2008) [#8]
You know what really irritates me? Misused terminology.

As in, "My wife and I wanted to make love last night, but I wasn't able to. The cause? Lag." :)

I'm with you 100% on "could care less." That logic error makes my brain throw an exception every time.

Its almost annoying as when you post something, then realise you've posted it in the Blitz Showcase by accident. :P

Heh.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#9]
I think you could refer to framerate dropping as `lag`. To most users lag means slowdown in whatever form it appears to take. They may not understand what networking is or how it works. Lag, slowdown, delay, whatever.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#10]
Etymology : probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Norwegian dialect lagga to go slowly
Pronunciation : 'lag
Function : noun
Date : 1514

slowness; lateness; delay, lingering;

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#11]
teh internets have modified the meaning of multiple words, at this point it pretty much means a slowdown. (lagging behind, my computer is lagging, I have way too much lag, etc.)

However, 'I could care less' really drives me nuts. I have begun a crusade against the phrase, it should be 'I couldn't care less' lol. It's the dumbest phrase ever.

dynaman(Posted 2008) [#12]
I could care less (but not much less) if you want me to say I couldn't care less.

H&K(Posted 2008) [#13]
lag 1 (lg)
v. lagged, lag·ging, lags
v.intr.
1. To fail to keep up a pace; straggle.
2. To proceed or develop with comparative slowness: The electric current lags behind the voltage.
3. To fail, weaken, or slacken gradually; flag.
4. Games To determine the order of play in billiards by successively hitting the cue ball against the end rail, the ball rebounding closest to the head rail indicating the player to shoot first.
v.tr.
1. To cause to hang back or fall behind.
2. To shoot, throw, or pitch (a coin, for example) at a mark.
n.
1. The act, process, or condition of lagging.
2. One that lags.
3. A condition of slowness or retardation.
a. The extent or duration of lagging: "He wondered darkly at how great a lag there was between his thinking and his actions" Thomas Wolfe.
b. An interval between events or phenomena considered together.

So if we concider
It is not a term to describe general slowdown
, and refer to definitions, It DOES describe general slowdown

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#14]
I don't have a problem with the obviously sarcastic inversion of "I couldn't care less":
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2008) [#15]
I think you have too much time and too little to occupy yourself with, I wish I could have that problem occasionally, maybe one day a month or something...

Darkheart

DH(Posted 2008) [#16]
You know what really irritates me?

Possible Answers:

1. Posting what irritates you in a blitz forum when it really has nothing to do with computing or programming in general? No? hmmmmmm....

2. What about houseflies? Do they irritate you?

3. Would H&K irritate you by pointing out that what irritates you is merely the fact that you don't know what the word lag means, and not that others use it in it's correct context?

hehe, let me know when I get to one

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#17]
i could care less
i could also care more
but in the end i choose not to give a flying oiehsdvgklndil; ;)

but by typeing this then surely i do give a bit of a flying oiehsdvgklndil; as ive decided to post about it

actually the "i couldn't care less" part of it makes me think when reading it atleast
"i could care less, see here this is now, where im caring about it, see over there, thats how less i SHOULD be caring about it, aka your house is on fire? oh good let me bring my marshmallows"

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#18]
If this stuff bothers you, then this site is for you. :)

http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#19]
i could care less
in fact i should care less
i am going to care so little about your plight it will be dwafed in comparason to the smalest atom and given as much consideration as the distance in miliseconds between pole and 2nd grid divided by pie

Adam Novagen(Posted 2008) [#20]
your house is on fire? oh good let me bring my marshmallows

Can I bring S'Morz?? XD

Seriously though, I agree with most of you:

The constant, flagrant grammatical errors in today's speech and "literature" are a perfect example of the degredation & decay of modern society. We must all endeavor (or endeavour) to eschew obfuscation & nonsensical verbiage.

Yes, I did come up with that myself. I also came very close to typing a sentence beginning with "and." ^_^

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#21]

If you're playing an offline game and the framerate stutters, you are not "lagging"

Going slower than usual, is lagging, in my eyes.

I prefer to see lag as "any slower than usual activity."

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#22]
Fully agree with Cygnus

@justluke
Learn English yourself first before getting anoyed over nothing.

And if you only refer lag to slowdown if internet connections only, think again :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_%28disambiguation%29

lag (slang) is a symptom where the result of an action appears later than expected.

People make spelling mistakes all the time and use words different then you, as long as you understand what they typed the words don't matter at all. If you hate it so much then go talk to robots instead.

You should also remind yourself that people all over the world are leaving their posts here. Don't expect everyone to be a professor in English.

And thank you for lagging our projects...

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#23]
it in it's correct context?
GRAMMAR POLICE NEEENARRRNEEENAARRR

Genexi2(Posted 2008) [#24]
Only time where I want lag to mean a delay in network packets is when I'm playing online titles.

Annoying as heck to have to keep asking someone if they mean their FPS or their network when they ask for help regarding 'lag' in their game.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#25]
OCD? =P

If you're playing an offline game and the framerate stutters, you are not "lagging". Drives me mad, it does.

So why not explain it to those who don't understand it? By word of mouth your ocd drive might kick in less often, at least from the same people lol. It's not ignorance coming from these people, it's just people who have been misinformed/confused.

As for your grammar ocd issues, realise how retarded the english language is. Some people have a hard time with art, some with math, and some with a horribly designed english. I'll think someone rides the shortbus when they can't add or subtract before I think anything similar from one who gets mixed or confused with "their","there",and "they're", especially when they are not working on becoming a novelist of any sort.

Get upset about bigger issues...the world is full of them.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#26]
>>If you're playing an offline game and the framerate stutters, you are not "lagging". Drives me mad, it does. <<

Wat U mean by tat?

:)

plash(Posted 2008) [#27]
Why cant I POST.. friggin lag.

EDIT:
If you're playing an offline game and the framerate stutters, you are not "lagging". Drives me mad, it does.
You're right! the computer is LAGGING.

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#28]
If we go back a few years, nobody called stuttering framerates "lagging". It was a networking term. The reason why the word is used now for all kind of slowness is because some people at some point misunderstood what others meant when they were speaking of (network) lag. In this case misunderstanding didn't lead to false understanding, because lag has a broader meaning, but I think JustLuke is pointing out that it isn't a good excuse for being stupid.

The truth is that the purpose of language is getting understood. To be understood by the masses, you have to speak the language of the masses.

Sorry about this, I've been sleeping 4 hours a night lately... :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#29]
I think JustLuke is pointing out that it isn't a good excuse for being stupid.
Pff.. the term "lag" is used in internet chat to explain something that is being or is slow. It's easier then saying "diablo 2 doesn't work on my computer, too slow", instead that would be "diablo 2=lag".

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#30]
The original meaning of lag in computing is the delay of packet arrival between client and host, as ping means the delay of "there and back" which is usually 2x lag. I still think that this meaning of the word "lag" was used before anything else as a computing term. Like from the days of IPX/SPX.

The point is what it was used for before and how it became to be a popular term for something else. Through misunderstanding. It irratates some people, like JustLuke. Not me. I just find it amusing.

plash(Posted 2008) [#31]
The original meaning of lag in computing is the delay of packet arrival between client and host, as ping means the delay of "there and back" which is usually 2x lag. I still think that this meaning of the word "lag" was used before anything else as a computing term. Like from the days of IPX/SPX.
Those days are gone now, embrace the new meaning.

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#32]
Those days are gone now, embrace the new meaning.

With joy! :D

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#33]

This has always been my understanding of the word. Of course there is a more general meaning to it - as others have noted - but that doesn't take into account contextual usage. I reckon that the common misuse of the word arose from the increased popularity of MMORPGs. Dullards would pick up on the use of the word from in-game chat channels and then go on to misuse it outside of their online play.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#34]
Hum, I've always considered lag just another word for "Latency" too.
Never really thought of it as just general slowdown... but I guess it kinda makes sense.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#35]
I agree completely. My Girlfriend always calls framerate issues "lag" she only does it wiht online games, because she thinks that network lag is causing the framerate to drop, which isn't true.

VP(Posted 2008) [#36]
Nothing thus far mentioned in this thread is more annoying than the complete bastardisation of the term 'hacker'.

I'm a hacker, in the truest (and original) sense of the word. Most of us using Blitz are also hackers. It was a word that, many moons ago, had no negative connotations whatsoever. Thanks to the popular press, there is now no suitable term to describe someone who likes to know how things work, other than 'tinkerer', 'geek', 'nerd' or 'weirdo'.

I will forgive popular slang, "I could care less"... who cares? The meaning of the phrase is clear.

"They're there, spelling their words wrong" - Unforgivable, if done incorrectly. Misspelling of those particular words doesn't just indicate a lack of spelling ability, it indicates a broken thought process. I still can't spell budgerigar, but I never confuse "their" with "there".

Anyone who doesn't know what an apostophe is for (or what one is, when you tell them to put one in) clearly skipped a lot of classes and ignore all professionally written media. People who ignore things are, by definition, ignorant.

Tab(Posted 2008) [#37]
Damn brain lag. >_<

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#38]
Anyone who doesn't know what an apostophe is for (or what one is, when you tell them to put one in) clearly skipped a lot of classes and ignore all professionally written media. People who ignore things are, by definition, ignorant.

Well said. I'd also add that such people are often:

1) Lazy, in that they refuse to learn how to correct their simple mistakes.
2) Arrogant/aggressive/defensive, in that they often respond angrily or defensively to people who point out their mistakes in an effort to help them improve. “Grammar Nazi" is a common label for people who prefer clear and effective communication.
3) Selfish, in that they don't care if their text appears confusing, garbled, or incomprehensible - they are happy to let other people work at deciphering it.
4) Vulgar, in that they're also perfectly content to appear illiterate and uneducated.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#39]
I'd rather put up with a hundred people who don't know what an apostrophe is for, than one or two people who go around picking fights on forums for any old reason. The way some people carp on about certain things, you'd think they were perfect in every possible way.

I remember when this site used to be about coding, not scrutinising each other for imperfections.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#40]
10 For N=1 to 100
20 Print "Dave smell's of wee"
30 Next N

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#41]
2) Arrogant/aggressive/defensive, in that they often respond angrily or defensively to people who point out their mistakes in an effort to help them improve. “Grammar Nazi" is a common label for people who prefer clear and effective communication.
3) Selfish, in that they don't care if their text appears confusing, garbled, or incomprehensible - they are happy to let other people work at deciphering it.
4) Vulgar, in that they're also perfectly content to appear illiterate and uneducated.

I resent that, Especially number 4, I have a right to be content with being illiterate and uneducated.

DH(Posted 2008) [#42]

Or perhaps they could care less about impressing you? I, for one, am getting overly used to using my cell phone as a text form of communication (more so than actually calling someone with conversation). It's a necessity to misspell on a phone text message (abbreviate, leave out punctuation, etc), and your fingers do thank you!

Selfish, in that they don't care if their text appears confusing, garbled, or incomprehensible - they are happy to let other people work at deciphering it.

Forgive me however since your so quick to throw the stones from your glass house, isn't the '-' in the above supposed to be a ';'?

I remember when this site used to be about coding, not scrutinising each other for imperfections.

I guess the old timers ( or regulars ) tend to get in these 'holier than thou' phases from time to time where when someone who is grateful to grasp small portions of English, it being their second language, must listen to the traditional "Your using your apostrophe wrong".

as a final note
Misspelling the word apostrophe in your post is one thing (and giving a reference to ignorant people there in as it were) however quoting that post (still misspelled) and saying "Well said" after is just a whole new world of ignorance. Minus 10 points on that one....

Those who use Firefox and still misspell words.... shame on you.... It highlights misspellings for you, right click, and you can correct from there. When it points it out to you, and you still choose to ignore it, that's arrogance, not ignorance. As for me; I could care less who spells what, or uses what punctuation where as I really don't think that how you say it matters as much as what your saying.

Tab(Posted 2008) [#43]
I'd rather put up with a hundred people who don't know what an apostrophe is for, than one or two people who go around picking fights on forums for any old reason. The way some people carp on about certain things, you'd think they were perfect in every possible way.

100% Agree.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#44]
I'd rather put up with a hundred people who don't know what an apostrophe is for, than one or two people who go around picking fights on forums for any old reason.

Whose fighting? Perhaps people need to be less emotional about online discussions.

The way some people carp on about certain things, you'd think they were perfect in every possible way.

I'm not sure that I follow your logic. Pointing out something that irritates you does not impy that you believe yourself to be perfect. For example, I've mentioned many times before on this forum that I'm useless at mathematics. However, my weakenesses don't inconvenience others. If they did, I'd do something about them.

Sure, but this forum also allows discussions that relate to computers, coding, video games, the internet, and technology (etc.). I'm commenting on a specific and widespread "feature" of most internet communities - an internet phenomena, if you will - which is why I think that it is suitable for discussion here. Sure, one might expand this to include other areas of illeteracy, but that's not pertinent to the discussion.

Typically with online discussion forums, we form our opinions about others by reading the texts that they produce. This being the case, my point is, I guess, that since an online persona is an artificial construct, why would someone choose to appear illiterate? It seems to be that forum posts function in a similar way to screenshots that are submitted to the gallery. They tell you something about both the creation and the creator. Look, we all make mistakes and typos, but to repeatedly, willfully, and consistently make the same mistakes when communicating with others seems somewhat self-defeating. No?

DH(Posted 2008) [#45]
an internet phenomena, if you will - which is why I think that it is suitable for discussion here.

Hehe, I'm about to take a large dump on my bosses desk, would that make it IT/Computer related? (HJAHAHAHAHAHAHA aaahhhhh sorry)...
ummm, get it? Cause I work in IT... And because it has nothing to do with IT but I can claim it's related to IT because... it's an issue... in the department...? no???

DH(Posted 2008) [#46]
You know... I rarely ever actually laugh as something I wrote (cause I really don't find my outward humor all that funny, more of just an expression of irritation) however that one made me smile a little....

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#47]
Or perhaps they could care less about impressing you?

Well they shouldn't care so much. I'm not special.

I, for one, am getting overly used to using my cell phone as a text form of communication (more so than actually calling someone with conversation). It's a necessity to misspell on a phone text message (abbreviate, leave out punctuation, etc), and your fingers do thank you!

See, there's a difference here. Abbreviated "text speak" is useful and convenient. It has a purpose. Misusing possessive apostrophes (for example) does not.

Forgive me however since your so quick to throw the stones from your glass house, isn't the '-' in the above supposed to be a ';'?

Nope.

I guess the old timers ( or regulars ) tend to get in these 'holier than thou' phases from time to time where when someone who is grateful to grasp small portions of English, it being their second language, must listen to the traditional "Your using your apostrophe wrong".

The worst abusers of written English tend to be native English speakers. Personally speaking, none of my comments apply to people with learning disabilities (such as dyslexia) or to those who speak English as a second language. Actually I have great admiration for anyone who is able to communicate in a second language or to overcome a disability.

By the way, I would never write "your using your apostrophe wrong.", unless I wanted to be ironic. ;)

As for me; I could care less who spells what, or uses what punctuation where as I really don't think that how you say it matters as much as what your saying.

I kind of agree with you, but I'd be more likely to dismiss the opinions of someone who is unable to effectively express themselves without filling their sentences with the same repeated glaring errors. Perhaps this is a mistake on my part. The thing is, internet discussion is all about "surface", and not many people are willing to look beyond it to find a "deeper meaning". And why should they? Why should anyone work that hard for strangers?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#48]
I'm commenting on a specific and widespread "feature" of most internet communities - an internet phenomena, if you will
Dyslexia or illiteracy isn't an "internet phenomena". Such things existed long before the internet did. Just like porn did, and paedophiles, contrary to popular belief.

Sure, one might expand this to include other areas of illeteracy, but that's not pertinent to the discussion.

By the way, I would never write "your using your apostrophe wrong.", unless I wanted to be ironic. ;)
Its more ironic that you spelt "illiteracy" wrong. :)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#49]
I didn't mean to impy that illiteracy was a by-product of the internet, but the internet does "help" to reinforce common mistakes through repeated exposure to them at an early age, and this is what both interests and infuriates me. Anyway, I never claimed this to be a problem of epic proportions, it's just one that annoys me.

Regarding "illeteracy", in my defence I'd argue that there's a big difference between making a typo and being incapable of spelling a word. One is a mistake, the other is an example of ignorance. Thats my excuse anyways and, I'm sticking too it. ;)

DH(Posted 2008) [#50]
hehe

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#51]
Wow I spent the day out in the sun. I used to hate people who said that when I stayed in doors coding away, but the way these forum threads are going (not got to the EU one yet, can't wait (!)), I think we all need to go out in the sun, and stop getting high-blood pressure about unimportant things.

plash(Posted 2008) [#52]
No sun here, just rain.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#53]
Hehe, I'm about to take a large dump on my bosses desk, would that make it IT/Computer related? (HJAHAHAHAHAHAHA aaahhhhh sorry)...
ummm, get it? Cause I work in IT... And because it has nothing to do with IT but I can claim it's related to IT because... it's an issue... in the department...? no???

Take a picture and put it in the showcase!

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#54]
Thats my excuse anyways and, I'm sticking too it. ;)

The perfect excuse for forgetting an apostrophe! Eeek!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#55]
I suppose lag could be used for describing slowness of graphical updates or what not. However, i'd prefer it to be used for internet packet delivery. Keeps things clear, and too the point, which is the whole point of communicating :o)

I'd agree about native english speakers being the worst at their own language sometimes too.

However, what really gets on my nerves, is getting a text, with most of the words replaced with numbers. I generally don't answer them, or text back saying:

"I didn't understand a bloody word of that. Use REAL words"

In fact, i think i have that saved for convient access :o) I don't mind the occasional numbers chucked in, to shorten a text to within a one page limit though.

FlameDuck(Posted 2008) [#56]
I'm a hacker, in the truest (and original) sense of the word.
You make wooden furniture with an axe?

The perfect excuse for forgetting an apostrophe!
Never mind the ironically incorrect use of the word too.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#57]
Never mind the ironically incorrect use of the word too.

Whose, mine or his?

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#58]
"I couldn't care less" is a direct statement of how you feel.
"I could care less" is a *sarcastic* inversion of the above statement.
Both are fine given the proper context.

the word "lag" has been around FAR longer than the internet or the computer. Just because someone *correctly* applied when describing a new context, "network slowdown", doesn't mean it loses any of it's previous meaning.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#59]
YOU ARE WRONG. The op really hasn't a clue. Check out the FIRST entry in dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) lag, lagged, lag·ging, noun
–verb (used without object)

1. to fail to maintain a desired pace or to keep up; fall or stay behind: After five minutes of hard running, some of them began to lag.

For gods sake check your facts people.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#60]
Btw I've formed an opinion about Justluke and that opinion is:

1. He's around 20.
2. He thinks he's better than you.

Feel free to respond :)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#61]
not a slight at justluke but a comparison

there are about a dozzen penny arcade strips where tycho gets a bit '...' about certain words and phrases

"they've castraighted the ampersand!"
springs to mind

im sure most english teachers who actually care about their jobs and pupils would read alot of poorly written but legible assignments with little to no punctuation (and in my case in the wrong place, so i rarely use them or the I as the shift key is too much hard work ;) )

for the internet and text messaging / im short and sloppy writing are common place
when i used to write my 'book' id just type on the fly and then see what was wrong later, i dont worry as much about internet posts as i treat them more like how i might speak

that is, i dont speak like i type or vise versa but you cannot go back and proof read what youve just said so sometimes unless its a glaring error im more than willing to let something simple like , . ; etc slide

without punctuation marks its harder to figure out where to pause
but ive met some people who talk without stopping one girl almost hyperventilated cos she just didnt stop for air

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#62]
Btw I've formed an opinion about Justluke and that opinion is:

1. He's around 20.

Nope.

2. He thinks he's better than you.

Nope.

Feel free to respond :)

See above.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#63]
YOU ARE WRONG. The op really hasn't a clue. Check out the FIRST entry in dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) lag, lagged, lag·ging, noun
–verb (used without object)

1. to fail to maintain a desired pace or to keep up; fall or stay behind: After five minutes of hard running, some of them began to lag.

For gods sake check your facts people.

Context is king, my friend. A word can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which it is used. Not every meaning applies equally in every context. Or to put it another way: "Lag: You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#64]
many years ago i had the word lag as a reference to urinating
some of the gutters in cambridge are quite huge, some have been covered over from what i remember of my time there in the 80's compared to now

but my dad would say "watch out the elephants have been lagging again" as although it wasnt raining the water was still running like a stream down to the nearest drain hole

and lagging when not lagging behind can be a form of insulation, that or the real word that sounded like lagging ended up being voiced that way (im thinking cladding but im not a plumber)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#65]
*fires laggy bands at everyone*

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#66]
It is not a term to describe general slowdown.
Yes it is?

Context is king, my friend. A word can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which it is used. Not every meaning applies equally in every context. Or to put it another way: "Lag: You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
You've just witnessed backpeddling...

When I go on a walk...my kids sometimes lag behind. When I'm playing an offline game and I get into a high poly/high AI cycle area...sometimes the framerate will lag. It's within context.

Btw, I like you JustLuke. Just pointing that out. Nothing personal.

FlameDuck(Posted 2008) [#67]
When I'm playing an offline game and I get into a high poly/high AI cycle area...sometimes the framerate will lag.
Actually in most games the frame rate will stutter, as the renderer will skip over any frames it doesn't have time to draw. The actual game is unlikely to slow down at all,

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#68]
Hmm so it seems that stutter is actually anti-lag! Very interesting!!

Doiron(Posted 2008) [#69]
I consider laggy something which is going slower in relation to something else.

So in computer language and aside from networking and stuttering, it can still be used properly.

For example any game which is pushing the fill rate of the videocard too much will usually slow down keyboard and mouse response, and when having the character move on screen half second after a key was pushed you can safely say: "keyboard response is laggy".

To name one, I noticed with surprise that it always happens in Lost Planet, even on really good hardware and after lowering the detail... the graphics run really fast, but between mouse and screen response there are about 300ms of lag (to me it looks like improper handling of logic cycles for the controls).

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#70]
Chroma wrote:

Btw, I like you JustLuke. Just pointing that out. Nothing personal.

Hey, no problem. I don't take anything written on forums personally.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#71]
*Ross C gets hit by one of Gfk's laggy bands*

dammit...

plash(Posted 2008) [#72]
"When I'm playing an offline game and I get into a high poly/high AI cycle area...sometimes the framerate will lag."
Actually in most games the frame rate will stutter, as the renderer will skip over any frames it doesn't have time to draw. The actual game is unlikely to slow down at all,
Yes, but the visual effect is often described as lag.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#73]
The development of language can be described as an unholy marriage between the illiterate and the genius. The illiterate defines the words and the genius puts them together.

Every word in Shakespeare's plays was defined by illiterates who didn't know the existing word. That's why the new word was created. Educated people don't need new words; they know the old words.

The exceptions include words for new technologies.

"Language Nazi's" as they are called are usually representing the values of their high school English teachers whose hidden agenda was not protecting the language but maximizing the students' social class, which is highly influenced by correct accent, vocabulary, etc.

Check with the Linguistics faculty at your local university. Far from decrying the alleged decline of language, they almost always consider these processes to be the great engine of linguistic evolution (granted, the English faculty will be more divided on the subject).