TECNO went gold in russian market

Community Forums/Showcase/TECNO went gold in russian market

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#1]
Finally, TECNO saw the light in the Russian retail market.
The release date was 18.06.2008.
The game will be sold in cd-rom under the "CD-Navigator" label.

You can visit the site by clicking the image or the link below:

http://www.cdnavigator.ru/Game.aspx?id=174

Some new screens:

-> http://www.tecno-base.com/

Long life to Blitz3D ! :)
Paolo.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#2]
Congrats!

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#3]
Fantastic! Congratulations!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Congratulations...im happy to see B3D babies going out :)..I cant wait to finish mine ;)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#5]
What does "gold" mean?

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#6]
I thought the game looked pretty interesting, so I tried the demo. It froze at the initializing screen. I eventually had to do a hard reset because I couldn't see the Windows Task Manager to end it, and ALT-F4 didn't kill it. After the reset of my computer, it did it a second time when I tried to get it working.

I uninstalled the demo with extreme prejudice and will never look at it again.

Just a bit of feedback.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
Congrats!

Leadwerks: Just means the final version was released. e.g. "My game has gone gold".

GfK(Posted 2008) [#8]
I wish people wouldn't say "gone gold". Anybody whos life is more geared towards the music industry automatically thinks it means "I've sold over one million copies".

Even without that it implies some sort of sales milestone has been passed.

Anyway, congrats.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#9]
If you've finished a game and it's being sold, that is a milestone.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#10]
...but not a sales milestone.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
I think Paolo wanted to share his excitement with us here..

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#12]
congrats. always an achievement getting any game released.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#13]
My memory is a bit foggy at the best of times, but isn't "gone Gold" shorthand for "We've manufactured the first gold master disc" - ie. it's ready to be released?

Anyway, congratulations Paolo - I've always thought that TECNO was one of the most impressive looking games made with Blitz3d.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#14]
...but not a sales milestone.

Yes, that's true, but as JustLuke pointed out it's not about a sales milestone. Or at least, it's not supposed be...

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#15]
didn't I already say this? For games, going gold is not related to sales: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Is the the first Blitz3D FPS to go gold or are there others? Great achievement anyway.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#16]
Ah right. If it says so on Wikipedia then it must be true. ;)

No its not the first FPS. There was Metal some years ago... although... I'm not sure if that even qualified as an FPS.

WendellM(Posted 2008) [#17]
Anybody whos life is more geared towards the music industry automatically thinks it means "I've sold over one million copies".

Agreed.

Congratulations, Paolo. And good luck on going gold in Russia (I think selling 1 unpirated copy qualifies for that there) :).

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#18]
didn't I already say this?

Yes, but it was either you or Just Luke, and one post had more information.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#19]
Metal owns!

GW(Posted 2008) [#20]
BTW, Going gold is selling 500,000 albums, Platinum is 1,000,000.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#21]
"In software and application development, a gold version is the final stage of software development and follows the alpha and beta testing cycles of software development. The gold version is the final version of the software as it will be released to the public. Most or all known bugs prior to release are fixed, and all intended functions for final release are implemented. Media and developers will often use the phrase "gone gold" to announce a software product's impending release. "

Congratz Paolo!

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#22]

I think the number was just quoted as an example. You're wrong anyway, there isn't one standard. The numbers vary from territory to territory.

Most or all known bugs prior to release are fixed

Hmm.. I wonder if SW:KOTOR 2 will ever go gold.

Congratulations on the release, Paolo.

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#23]
Thanks to all :)

Actually, if you are interested, ... this is extracted directly from the contract with the publisher:

Russian Gold Master. The term «Russian Gold Master» means a non-copy protected and non-encrypted final copy of the Product in the Russian language that is free of all bugs, is recorded in executable form together with any necessary supporting software and data, fully implements all features and functions, embodies the Russian version of the product, has been approved by Licensee and is suitable for commercial release by Licensee.

Not much money involved on this, ... it is more like the satisfaction of getting your game out there,
but ... the good thing is that I keep all intellectual property over the game (besides russian market) and I may
use this to convince other publishers for other markets ... who knows :)

Leadwerks,
I don't know when you downloaded the demo, but the very first demo used to have some compatibility problems,
right now there's the version 1.3 which has various bug fixes concerning this ...
... you may want to try it again if have time ...

Thanks again!
Paolo.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#24]
Paolo, that was me who had the issues. I tried the latest demo direct from your website.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#25]
<i>a non-copy protected and non-encrypted final copy of the Product</i>

Wow, it is like saying that it has to be very easy to copy in Russia. I think they are intending for the software to be pirated?!?!

plash(Posted 2008) [#26]
Define "milestone".

GW(Posted 2008) [#27]

I think the number was just quoted as an example. You're wrong anyway, there isn't one standard. The numbers vary from territory to territory.

can you provide an example?

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#28]
oops, yes Reactor, that comment was for you :)
... then I have no idea what could be, think you may try disabling all antivirus when running the game, but I guess it might be something hardware related ...

Paolo.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#29]
Well done on getting your game finished before Duke Nukem Forever. :)

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#30]
I would Paolo, but... it's a bit late now ;) Resetting my computer trying to figure out bugs isn't my idea of a good time.

Anyway, at least if it happens for someone else you know something's up.

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#31]
Congratulations!
It's great to see a fellow programmers game get released.
It gives all of us hope for our own games.

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord Of Darkness)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#32]
a non-copy protected and non-encrypted final copy of the Product

perhaps its copy protection free before going to cd
last thing you want is for the distributers to not be able to copy the data to their master cd cos of whatever copy protection involved, they might, then again might not, add protecton of their own after that part

Wow, it is like saying that it has to be very easy to copy in Russia. I think they are intending for the software to be pirated?!?!

i remember the russian film makers of nightwatch gave the larger pirate rings a clean print to make their pirate with so that they had something nicer than a camcorder job on the divx release
all they asked was that they gave the movie a chance in the cinema, instead of the usual you can get the dvd before the cinema does and then no one watches it there

RexRhino(Posted 2008) [#33]

Rather, the numbers depend on the certification group (which usually corresponds to territory, but not always and sometimes there is overlap). For the RIAA, 500,000 is gold sales.

Anyway, congratulations Paolo. The game looks great! I hope you sell a million copies!

Also, as a side note, if you offer a non-install demo (where I don't need to switch to admin access, I can just unzip a directory), I would be more inclined to test the demo. Many users play games on work machines where they don't have access to install files, and even on my own machine I am reluctant to give access to any demo by a small developer.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#34]
when you said gold I thought you have sold millions and game is hit in russia :P

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#35]
Many many congrats Paolo - great work.

IPete2.

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#36]
I have downloaded the demo, when I return to Blitz3D, and this demo convinced me that the full power of Blitz3D. It´s hard to play, :), but very well done. Saludos.

SabataRH(Posted 2008) [#37]
TECNO is clearly one of blitz3d's crowning achievements, congrats on the language port.

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#38]
I agree with GfK. "Gone gold" means it's sold a butt-load of copies IMO. How about "released or published". Nah that'd be too simple...

Loktar(Posted 2008) [#39]
Wow... I am on a "programming" forum, for games no less and people are arguing over going gold? That is and has been the term for many years. Recordable manufacturer CD's used to have a gold colored film, they only produced them when they were ready to ship (obviously) and would send out a press release stating it has gone gold.... Maybe some here remember the site from the late 90's early 00's, Gonegold.com? You could see when a game was estimated to go gold. I believe PC Gamer used to use this as a guide when predicting releases years ago. I remember visiting it quite regularly.

Seriously though if you are thinking albums, maybe you should go over video game history especially if you plan on, or are already developing them. Sadly I think its this reason many companies have uninnovative games... No history or you are doomed to repeat it.. or just ignorant.. ANYWAYS

Congrats man that is insanely awesome! I dont even know what I would do I would be smiling 24/7! I would probably buy a ticket to Russia and get some information of where it was being sold to have my picture taken with it on the shelf and me holding it.

Ill have to try the game out, seen it in the past but never got around to trying it.

JBazarra(Posted 2008) [#40]
The game is interesting but when you arrive to the bridge control panel, the game finishes because that puzzle is difficult; too difficult for my pleasure :-s. Personally i like more the fps gender that the adventure gender (it is necessary to think too much xD). It is a pain not to be able to continue seeing the demo :-(
Anyway, the game is quite well. I liked that camera 'flying' for the base.

Greetings.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#41]

can you provide an example?

According to this: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goud_(muziek)

...In the Netherlands a music album is considered "gold" right now after 30,000 CD's sold... And that has apparently been adjusted over time as well: 1999 you still needed 50,000 copies to make gold, but now it's less thanks to the general decline in CD sales in favor of online downloads.
Platinum is currently 60.000 sold (used to be 100,000)

Birukoff(Posted 2008) [#42]
Great, Paolo! Congratulations from me also, friend! ;)

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#43]
Thanks to you Andrei,
in fact it wouldn't have been possible without your help :)

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#44]
Just some feedback.

I just started the Techno demo up again after leaving it for a week or two. By this time I have of course forgotten the hotkeys for the game, and I need to equip the nightvision goggles. So, I try pressing the F1 key which is normally used to display help and instructions - but nothing happens. I try pressing the escape key and looking through the various menus that appear to try to find in-game instructions, or info about any hotkey that will bring them up - with no luck. I also try pressing the H key - but again, no love.

The short and curly is that you really need to have accessible in-game help and instructions easily available, or people will get frustrated; as I was. Ideally, there should be multiple ways for people to access these instuctions. Preferably, via the escape menu; via the F1 key; and possibly via the H key.

I think this is a good lesson for anyone making a game - make sure the players have easy in-game access to any information they need to play the game. And use conventional, well known methods of providing that access (via the escape menu; via the F1 key; and possibly via the H key).

I also got a memory access violation error when pressing the function keys, though that may have been due to my dodgy video card (which is on the way out).