Crayon Physics Clone - WIP

Community Forums/Showcase/Crayon Physics Clone - WIP

Xip(Posted 2008) [#1]
I just added an worklog about my latest Crayon physics clone project, and it can be found here:

http://blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=8254&log=1618

and since people cant post feedback and opinions in the worklog, I'm adding a thread here as well on the subject :)

and i might as well show this cool picture as a teaser ;-)

im very interested in people's opinion on the crayon brush realism, i have been working hard all day to get a life-like crayon look,
if any one got ideas how to improve it im all ears :)

(the game engine in action, rendering only vertexes)

if anyone is interested in playing around with the brush rendering part(first image abouve), it can be found here:

http://xip.software.googlepages.com/CrayonBrushDemo.rar
it is NOT the game, only the crayon-brush-rendering demo!
No physics is included.

should also be noted, that it crashes if you draw in the left or right corner, i have problems with internet and can't upload a fix at the moment :'(

and as i mention in the worklog, some of the art is from the original crayon physics game by Kloonygames.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#2]
Good luck with this. I found it very difficult to add my own ideas to my Crayon Physics clone. I was going to add an animated ragdoll character the player guides through each level, but instead I ended up with the same ball and star idea :\

Xip(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hi JA2 :)

yeas i read the threads about your project and your ragdoll idea xD
and i also think your project looks very nice and impressive!
nice work :)

i agree that it might be hard to find new stuff to implement, but on the other hand, it might be good just to make a clone that is as good in quality as the original game, with all the same features in the engine.
after all, i have not seen that many clones that looks and feels as good as the delux version.

and im not even sure the delux version is going to be released, we have not heard a word from the dev about this for ages, would not be the first software/game going in the crapper.

this had me a bit worryd, i cant wait for a game that might or might not get finnished, i wanted to play around with one now! :P
and if he do releas the delux version, its not like im wasting my time, its been a very fun project and i have loved evry moment of it.

however, i have a few ideas that might make all the differens as far as 'new stuff' goes.
but this is a secret for now ;-D

also, i dont know if you did yours in b3d or max, but i dont think Kloonys delux version will be for mac and linux, so this is also something i do have on my side.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#4]
I used b3d for Chalk Physics, using the PhysX wrapper. It was quite simple to make actually and only took a few weeks to do, but my code became very messy towards the end and I had other things to be getting on with. It was definitely a fun game to make tho.

I like the idea of using different types of lines i.e ropes and balloons etc that I've seen in other similar games. It might be best to keep things simple tho but then coming up with something new might prove to be rather difficult.

Best of luck with it :D