Leadwerks Texture Tools

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadwerks Texture Tools

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
Download:
http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=51

These DDS conversion tools are faster than NVidia's nvdxt and ATI's Compressonator tools. Running the program will display a file selection dialog. Dragging an image file onto the executable will silently convert the file. Images can be loaded from BMP, JPG, PNG, TGA, and DDS files, and saved to uncompressed DDS files, DXTC1, DXTC3 or DXTC5 format.

Source code is included.

Thanks to Mark McVittie for the DDS saver source.

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#2]
Thanks for sharing.

But could youi just remind me what are the advantages of DDS again?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
Compressed texture in Video memory :o)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#4]
What I've learned in these forums:
They need less memory, they gain more speed in loading, but they have poorer quality (due to their compression)

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#5]
DDS textures can make B3D stuff look much nicer because you can override B3D's default texture mip-mapping - you can specify how many mips to generate when you save the texture which lets you have sharper textures in the distance and at acute viewing angles without having to turn mip-mapping off completely (which makes everything look very pixellated and sparkly).

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#6]
What are mips?

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#8]
The most important advantage is that they lower memory bandwidth.

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#9]
In SRX I found the most important thing was that they allow good control over the appearance (or more importantly the unwanted distant disappearance) of road markings when viewed from a relatively low angle, but that's a problem specific to a racing game.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks for the link.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#11]
Nice work, Leadwerks.

You should thank Tom C. for the mipmap support.

deps(Posted 2008) [#12]
Faster loading times, posibillity to get better mipmaps and a lower memory bandwith is nice, but doesn't the card need to uncompress the textures when displaying them? Or is this done as soon as they are uploaded to the graphics card?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#13]
Hi,

It seems the alpha channel is broken when using DXTC5 compression.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#14]
doesn't the card need to uncompress the textures when displaying them

The decompression algorithm is performed when a texture lookup occurs, and it doesn't cause any slowdown. It's a very simple compression, not like a zip file or something.

I will look at the alpha channel problem. The source is there, so maybe someone else can see what is wrong?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#15]
Regarding the alpha channel: It seems you just need to clear the bank first, apparently the memory is not cleared when a bank is created.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#16]
I thought it copied the pixmap alpha channel to the output alpha. The save dds routine is kind of weird because it was written for BB which does not support alpha channels.