irrKlang for BlitzMax

Community Forums/Showcase/irrKlang for BlitzMax

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm pleased to announce BaH.irrKlang, the first of a new set of Audio modules for BlitzMax.

irrKlang is a cross platform audio library designed to be used in games, scientific simulations and similar.

BaH.irrKlang is the core module, wrapping the irrKlang API, and allows you to access everything in a style similar to irrKlang's C++ API.

BaH.irrKlangAudio is an optional module which presents irrKlang as an Audio Driver for BlitzMax, allowing you to use the standard Audio commands instead of accessing the irrKlang API directly. (Note: you will need to get the latest BRL.Audio from BlitzMax's SVN repository to compile this, due to limitations in the current release of BRL.Audio)

As usual, it comes fully documented with examples, and of course, the modules are Free. (Note: there are licensing terms for irrKlang itself if you wish to sell your app. Info available on the irrKlang site).

The modules are available at the maxmods site.

You can download them from HERE.

To follow in the near future, FMOD and BASS.

:o)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#2]
Your a star Brucey. Your work is appreciated.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#3]
I received it over SVN earlier, but get a compile error on makemods:

Build Error: failed to compile :/code/blitzmax/mod/bah.mod/irrklang.mod/common.bmx

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
No line numbers or anything else in the error?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#5]
Nope, that's all that got reported by makemods...

But nevermind -- it looks like my bcc.exe got broken somehow. Deleted it, received another copy of it over SVN, and now irrklang does compile without errors.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks Brucey!! I missed this announcement but I am looking forward to playing with this module.

Brucey FTW!!

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#7]

it looks like my bcc.exe got broken somehow.

Oddly enough that happens to me a lot, where I need to reinstall blitz and reupdate all the mods almost every couple weeks or so to fix it. Pain in the ass, and I can never figure out why it happens for the life of me.

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#8]
Lovely work Brucey!

markcw(Posted 2008) [#9]
Are you sure you're not a team of programmer's working in shifts around the clock, Brucey?

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#10]
No kidding...Seriously, where do you get the motivation to do all this for us? I want those pills, whatever they are. (adderall? speed?) lol

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#11]
it says its cross platform on the website but when I run the examples it requests a DLL - oops DLL files are included for all platforms

I cant hear the music in the 3d example but I can hear the explosions when I pressed space

I just noticed its 390 dollars
are there any free 3d sound libraries?

EDIT
hmm Open AL has 3d sounds noice

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#12]
I used irrklang initially, but found Brucey's wrapped FMod to be a lot more exciting as it at least supports sound spectrum, along with everything else irrklang supports.

I believe you can access it through his svn. Give it a look, you'll be pretty surprised.

Here's a sound spectrum example I threw together a while ago with FMod (Win32):

Download here

Press ESC to close the window when you're done. It runs in windowed mode.