Armand and the Foppish Hat

Community Forums/Showcase/Armand and the Foppish Hat

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here are some screenshots and an early build of my current project, Armand and the Foppish Hat. It's a little adventure/rpg in the vain of the early Zelda games, but more text-heavy. It's meant to be silly, and the main character is indeed supposed to be as pompous as he sounds.

It's a very short game, sort of like a one-act play. I'm using it mainly to test the engine I built before I go about making a full-length game out of it.

Please keep in mind that this is an alpha version, so it's bound to have some problems. Also, not everything is complete. There are many enemies and NPCs missing at the moment, rooms don't have all of their decorations yet, some images will change (like the church, which needs work), there's a placeholder intro video, no ending video, etc. That said, I'd love to hear what you think of it so far.

Here are the keyboard commands:
Arrow Keys - movement
Z - primary weapon
X - secondary weapon
I - inventory
S - save game
L - load game
TAB - options menu
ENTER - advance dialog/open door/push/other
ESCAPE - quit

Anyway, here's the final build.
Windows XP version - http://jhanson.com/downloads/Armand-setup.exe
Mac OS X version - http://jhanson.com/downloads/Armand.dmg

And here's the screenshots I promised:

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
nicee :)

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#3]
Lol, looks funny.

Graphics are great too.

Keep up the good work.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#4]
Neat, but I wouldn't put artist signatures in the head pictures, put the names in the credits, but not in-game, it kinda ruins the mood.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#5]
Oh, I definitely agree with you chwaga. Unfortunately, I don't have any choice with those head pictures. They come from the Larry Elmore Character Clip Art and Color Customizing Studio book, and in order to use them legally I need to display his signature with them.

If this game was going to be sold, I'd pay an artist to draw some custom pictures instead, but since it's freeware, I don't really have a budget for it. I figured his art with the signature was still infinitely better than my "art" with no signature. ;)

That said, if anyone would like to volunteer to draw some pictures, I'd be happy to have the help, and would lose the Elmore pics in a second.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#6]
I just updated the top post to include the XP version. I couldn't really test it though, since it is using OpenGL and VMWare Fusion won't render OpenGL correctly.

Anyway, since it's a test version, it's just a zip file (no installer). Just unzip the folder somewhere and run the EXE from there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this was made with Blitzmax. It uses MaxMod to stream the music, and PantsOn's Theora module to play the intro animation (which is not going to be the final intro animation, but it tells the same story that the final one will).

Amon(Posted 2008) [#7]
Tried it on my Vista machine but it launches, goes to a black screen then quits to desktop.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#8]
Not surprising. I haven't even looked at it on Vista, and don't plan to. It's built for the Mac, but to let a few more people try it I went ahead and compiled an XP version.

If it's getting to the black screen, it's most likely because I need to select a different OpenAL driver to get the streaming sound to work. I'll add this to the list, and at some point I'll look at one of my other games that does function on Vista and see what the difference is.

EDIT: Actually, I just went ahead and pulled the XP version. Looks like I posted the wrong executable, and it's having trouble with the temp directory. That's not the cause of the Vista issue, though.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#9]
The XP version is back up. This one runs without issue on XP on my test boxes here.

I made one change to it that might make it work with Vista, but no guarantees. I am primarily aiming for OS X on this one, with the XP build being a secondary consideration.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nada. Won't even open for me.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#11]
On what? Vista, XP, or OS X?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#12]
it works on vista just fine here. a few things i noticed when playing is that the scrolling effect between areas is jumpy here and i think a map is needed cause i spent forever looking for the store. i liked the funny conversation with the blue house. and the characters are good. just needs action.
also i'm stuck. i talked to painter dude and he said that the thief was walking around with a gold statue but i can't get any further than this, nothing happens when i talk to anyone.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#13]
@mtnhome3d - Out of curiosity, are you playing in full-screen mode or windowed? Also, regarding the tip from the painter, did you check out the inside of the church?

As for the map, yes, that definitely needs to be implemented. I was planning to have a large map that you can look at (like the inventory screen), and put an automap in that empty space in the bottom right corner of the screen.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#14]
full screen, i'll check out the church.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#15]
ok the combat system must change, i can't for the life of me hit anything. maby make the sword longer and make it sweep around him more. i keep dieing on bats and basic spiders.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#16]
Easy enough. The next build will extend his forward reach, and give him some side reach (which he currently lacks).

By the way, did you happen across the magic wand during your travels? That can make combat easier since it has quite a range. It has a limited number of charges, though.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#17]
nope just the axes so far.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#18]

On what? Vista, XP, or OS X?

That was clumsy, sorry.

The system I tried it on was:

Windows XP
GeForce 6150 LE [256mb]

Opening it did nothing. Timer cursor for a tenth of a second then nothing would happen. I'll try it again on another pc when I get home.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#19]
hey just wondering what exactly is a foppish hat? i haven't been able to get anywhere cause i keep dieing, i really like the game but that is sorta a problem.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#20]
Ah, I was waiting for that question to come up.

Armand is what you might call a "fop" or a "dandy". Some famous fops in literature would include The Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro's alter-ego. Basically, it's just an old term used to describe a man who is concerned with appearances and dresses well. Armand likes to appear wealthier and more important than he really is, so he dresses the part.

A "foppish hat" would be a hat that a fop would want to wear. It's fancy, probably to the point of being gaudy to most people, and a fop would think it makes him look like a wealthy man. Nothing magical about it. :)

The best description of a fop that I can find is from Wikipedia:
The fop (also known as a fribble, popinjay, fashion-monger, or clotheshorse) is a stock character who appears from time to time in fiction. He is a person who makes a habit of fastidiously overdressing and putting on airs, aspiring to be viewed as an aristocrat (if he is not already one). A fop is also referred to as a 'beau', as in the Restoration comedies The Beaux' Stratagem (1707) by George Farquhar, The Beau Defeated (1700) by Mary Pix, or the (real-life and subsequently fictionalized) Regency character of Beau Brummell. In English, the word fop is older, but the meaning of an overdressed, frivolously fastidious man may not be; Shakespeare's King Lear contains the word, in the general sense of a fool, and before him, Thomas Nashe, in Summer's Last Will and Testament (1592, printed 1600): "the Idiot, our Playmaker. He, like a Fop & an Ass must be making himself a public laughing-stock." Osric in Hamlet has a great deal of the fop's affected manner, and much of the plot of Twelfth Night revolves around tricking the puritan Malvolio into dressing as a fop.

I thought the name fit for this little adventure for two reasons. The Armand character, who a friend of mine created years ago, was known for his extravagant dress and pompous manner. So having his prized hat go missing just days before a party made a nice, light-hearted excuse to send him on an quest. In addition, it sounds kind of similar to "The Minish Cap" from the Legend of Zelda series. I've wanted to make a game in this style ever since playing the first Legend of Zelda game, so I thought it would be appropriate to tip my cap (no pun intended) to the series.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#21]
it fits him well. please make a windows final version when your done. its a great game.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#22]
One thing I have tried, and am considering fully implementing, is making his sword a projectile like Link's. It seems to work well, and makes combat MUCH easier. If you'd like to try it out, do the following:

1. Exit the game
2. Go to your Armand\Resources folder and find the file called item.dat.
3. Rename item.dat to item.bak
4. Download the new item.dat file from the following location: http://jhanson.com/downloads/item.zip
5. Unzip it, and put that new file in your Armand\Resources folder.

This is a rough implementation without any animations, but you'll get the idea of how it works.

If you don't like the change, and prefer the old way, just delete the file and rename item.bak back to item.dat.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#23]
ok it works a little better now that i implemented the hack, but now the inventory isn't working. i bought a bottle and got the spiffy water and now i can't select it, the arrow keys aren't working and it seems to occasionally move and then stick.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#24]
Are you seeing the inventory problem with a saved game, a newly started game, or both?

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#25]
This is nicely done.

Too bad you didn't add the video in the end yet and funny boss :-)

I wonder how many did find the secret room with all the gold and magic wand in town... (Not telling where it was, else it's no fun)

I played it without any of the weapon patches.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#26]
I'm glad you like it, Mark. By the way, there's a second secret room in the town. It's only partially implemented so there's not much in it (just a little gold), since I plan to use it for an unfinished side quest, but in case you want to take a look at it, here's a hint. It's inside one of the empty brown houses.

Also, did you check out the description of the hat once you have it in your inventory? Look up the brand name of the hat on Wikipedia, if you don't already catch the reference.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#27]
saved game.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#28]
Interesting. I have an idea about the cause of this and will have to test it out tonight. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to email you to get more info without filling up this thread.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#29]
ok thats fine.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#30]
it seems the demo has expired.... any chance of an update.. I didn't get to see it the first time around.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#31]
Sometime soon. I've been busy with other, non-programming stuff.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#32]
OK, I decided to clean up a few things, fix the few little bugs that were found in testing, and call this game complete.

Some of the rooms are still pretty sparse, and it could use some more side quests, but since this is mainly just a demo to test out my little engine, and the main quest is complete, I think it's good enough. Plus, if I get the urge to add in some side quests or something, I can always just update it!

Anyway, I updated the links at the top of this thread to point to the finished version. For your convenience, here they are again. Enjoy!

By the way, if any of you like how this plays, and would like to use the engine for your own project, let me know and we can work something out. The scripting is easy, and I created some rudimentary screen-making tools that I used to build every screen in this game. The engine isn't the most flexible thing in the world, but if you want to make a simple Zelda-like game, it works great.

Also, if you'd be interested in collaborating with me on something that would use this engine, or even just work on making some of the sparse rooms in this little game a little less sparse, let me know.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#33]
A newer version has just been posted. It fixes an inventory bug that was found last night. Also, the Mac OS X version is now a Universal Binary, so it can be played on both Intel and G4/G5 PowerPC Macs now.

Here's the links to the new versions:

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#34]
Woohoo! It's a Staff Pick on Apple's downloads site today.

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#35]
CONGRATS!

I thought the games was great!

Keep up the good work.

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord Of Darkness)

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#36]
Thanks, WERDNA. By the way, it's good to see you back.

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#37]
Ty!

Its good to be back.

ScreenShots of my next game will hopefully be available soon.

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord Of Darkness)

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#38]
I really like the name, it's very original.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#39]
Thanks. It's supposed to sound like the name of a fairy tale. It's also kind of a play on the whole "Minish Cap" thing from the Zelda series.

steph(Posted 2008) [#40]
As "y" and "z" are switched on german keylayouts it would be great to either be able to reassign your own keys for the different ingame actions or if you'd change them to alt and control.

Although the controls are horrible on my german pc the game itself seems to be quite enjoyable. :-)

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#41]
@steph - I just emailed you about this. I built you a custom config.dat file that allows you to use Y instead of Z. I hope this helps!