Derelict - Sci-Fi Horror Tactical FPS

Community Forums/Showcase/Derelict - Sci-Fi Horror Tactical FPS

earok(Posted 2008) [#1]
[Edit]

Derelict, my System Shock and Space Hulk inspired Tactical FPS is finally done!

Thanks to all of you who gave me valuable feedback while developing the game.

The release version can be downloaded here

clownhunter(Posted 2008) [#2]
That game looks really nice. I'll check out the demo later, but the screenshots look really impressive. Nice work!

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#3]
lookin good and in half a year, i'd take me forever to do that.

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#4]
This is amazing, I really enjoy the lighting too, is it vertex based? :)

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#5]
ok i know this goes on the playtestform but why does the graphics window not change size, even if i specify a new res. i pick 1280 X 800 X 32 and it apears in the upper left hand corner of the screen as 320 X 240.

[edit] i should state that it is only in the main part of the game that its like that, the main menu and opening sequence is fine
specs: amd turion 64 x2 dual core 1.90 ghz, nvidia geforce 7000,windows vista home premium.

earok(Posted 2008) [#6]
The lighting is vertex based (I would love to do pixel shading, but since Blitz3d is DirectX7...). The walls are actually fairly high-polygon to create the spotlight effect.

mtnhome3d, sorry you need to restart Derelict after changing the resolution. I've never actually tried running it on Vista before, i'd be interested to hear if there are any significant problems on that platform.

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#7]
After playing it for an hour now, not only am I scared shitless, but I'm really into it. Really well made system and level design.

As far as small nuances, the guns don't really give me the feedback that I need to tell me I'm shooting apart from the muzzle fire -- I don't know, I think it needs something like knock back or something. I love the fact that the sensor guy still beeps even when he's dead, that's just hilarious. Good job though, I love the concept!

earok(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks for the feedback Zenith =)

I've just programmed some 'bite' into the guns, firing will kick them back a little.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#9]
This is pretty good. The sound is really excellent.

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#10]
Speaking of the sound, you might want to add some variation to them -- a quick way to do this is just adjust the pitch randomly each time its played a little -- or even a little variation in volume. It's freaking scary as it is, but it would add to the effect tremendously. :D

Also, cool about the high-polygon walls, that's what I thought was happening and it looks good especially in such a closed in area.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
Screenshots seem quite dark to me...

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#12]
The game itself is quite dark, it's a horror sci-fi game.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#13]
Very atmospheric. Nice sound and music.

The most irritating thing is the monotonous sound of the footsteps on hard materials.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#14]
Looks good!

earok(Posted 2008) [#15]
The game is dark by design, though I do realize on CRT monitors it is very difficult to see anything. There is an option in the game to increase the light level.

Zenith, the pitch of the monsters screams is now randomized, and yeah it sounds much more natural then just the same clip over and over. Thanks heaps!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#16]
nice :)

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#17]
I get a mav when walking through a door at the beginning of the first level near the far side of the first big room.
probably a vista thing

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#18]
Earok - hey no problem, I'm really enjoying it -- I would also say do the same pitch changes for all the sounds, you will really love the naturalness that that can bring! :)

I'm getting pretty far, 2.6 now I believe. Kind of hoping I'd see some new monsters by now. Still as scary though, but it's becoming predictable. Horror/Sci-Fi games stay scary through unpredictable behavior. :D

mtnhome3d - I'm on vista and have no problem like that!

Lastly, just noticed my computer hardware details were out dated, bought a new computer this year.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#19]
Finally got myself to download this... Probably going to get too scared. :P

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#20]
These are the kinds of efforts where the combination of programming technical expertise deserves to be matched with a proficient artist. It's hard for us hobbyists to be all things. It's great what you have so far, but 3D modelling is such an intensive effort! That alone is why I stay in the 2D realm. At least I can get something done when I am operating solo.

Great work. I look forward to your continued efforts.

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#21]
Just Downloaded.

The game is pure Awesomeness.

And its CREEPY!

Kind of survival horror like.

The 3D models could be a little bit better, but overall a very impressive
game.

Great Job!

The Creeped Out WERDNA(I'm Still Hiding Under The Covers)

RexRhino(Posted 2008) [#22]
Super cool project! This looks awesome! I will download and play this weekend.

But I think the soldiers look a bit too modern day.

I imagine space-soldiers looking more like this:

or
http://www.trendhunter.com/photos/us-military-develops-robocop-armour-for-soldiers

One of the things I like about sci-fi games is that things look different than your average modern-day military shooter. There is no reason that a space-soldier needs camo - They could just as realistically be wearing chrome-armor power suits, who knows what military tactics will be like in space. And I imagine that space soldiers would wear some sort of air helmet - they would never know when air pressure might disappear.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#23]
I like, lots. your radar that you have implemented is especially impressive, I've never seen such an impressive implementation of a radar thingy in a game. Kudos+ to you. I disagree with the comment above regarding
thats why i stick to 2d

I like your immersive 3d world, and the 'world' you see on occasion. I'm very impressed . good work.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#24]
i can play for a few minutes and then i turn around and get a MAV...and I would suggest you make some better animations because the soldiers standing how they do really ruins the mood. Also, to get a more abandoned feeling to the ship, knock some things over!! Carnage is incomplete without Pitch and Roll!!

earok(Posted 2008) [#25]
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback

Unfortunately I can't edit the models or animations. I have virtually no 3D model making knowledge or talent (the rather amateurish set pieces are the limit of my ability!) the models come from a Dark Matter pack and I do realize the animations look awful in Blitz. That 'robocop' armor does look awesome, I may have a go at trying to emulate some of its features on the textures.

I was going to have torn up furniture etc around the place but never got around to making it. I'll see what I can do.

Sorry, I'm not sure what MAV means. Is this a runtime error..?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#26]
MAV = Memory Access Violation.

though, it's probably just my stupid GPU that only takes power of 2 dimension textures in blitz3d...

*(Posted 2008) [#27]
Personally I would handle the menu system like this:
repeat
;load graphics, meshes here
Graphics Width, Height, Depth

ChangeResolution = MainMenu()
until ChangeResolution = False

Then you get the main menu system to return True of False if the resolution has changed or not. Also it means you dont need to exit the whole program to change screen resolution :)

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#28]
Hey,

This is pretty fun!

I notice you left you media exposed. Would you mind if I updated some of the models? I've been meaning to find an excuse to do some game modelling. I've only done modelling for high poly stuff, so the real time stuff isn't quite as hard.

I can only make models in x format so I'm not sure how much I can add.

Craig

earok(Posted 2008) [#29]
PLEASE PLEASE do Craig. I would absolutely love to get some great models for the game.

What I want most (other then better animated monsters - though I know thats a tall order) is great furniture. Under mesh\blocks is the furniture i've done so far and its all in X format. Feel free to play with this as you wish (or scrap the whole lot and replace it!). Don't worry about the size of the meshes - the engine scales it down to fit it in 2mx2mx2m.

I can post you the level editor so you can try out your furniture in the game if you wish.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#30]
Oh, so we can help you out with modelling? Great! I'll have a go too.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#31]
Yeah, that would be cool. I already started working on that desk and chair you had.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#32]
Been playing the game. It's pretty cool! My only gripe would be to make it so the game freezes when you go to the map/order screen, then when you set all the orders for all your guys, you can exit to unfreeze the action and they all do what you ordered together. That way you can set up complex tactics.

The way it is now, they move the instant you give the order, which means you can't set up an coordinated action between multiple soldiers. I've seen this successfully done in other games and it makes for an awesome combination of strategy and action, kind of like in Mass Effect where you can hold down the action button, everything freezes and you can tell all your guys what to do, then unfreeze.

Just a thought. GREAT GAME!!

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#33]
Can't wait.. This Sunday!~ :)

earok(Posted 2008) [#34]
EDIT - All of the voices I need have been collected. Thanks heaps.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#35]
Looks nice

earok(Posted 2008) [#36]
Bump!

Just to let everyone know the game is finished now, and that i'd like to say thanks to the BlitzBasic community for their feedback and support!

It can be downloaded here

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#37]
Awesome! I shall download immediatly.

The demo I played was great, so the full thing should be even better.

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord Of Darkness)

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#38]
Well if Zenith gives it a thumbs up then I'll give it a go.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#39]
Doesnt work, takes forever to load, then when I hit Start Game it loads in a weirdish looking glitchy mesh which im assuming is the gun, cant tell cause its all white and then the level is confusing, and you can walk through walls.

Weird eh?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2008) [#40]
I LIKE this! The music scares the hell out of me before I even see a bad guy. The person that wrote this music (even with the Austalian and Welsh snippits) deserves an oscar!

Btw, I never read the instructions and it took a little while to work out why pressing SPACEBAR when trying to open a door transported me to another operative (or did it? I can't work it out - it just went around).

Nice music!

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#41]
It is running really slow on my computer. Also, there's little blocks blinking green and black. Really like it, but it just doesn't work quite right for me.

Here's my system specs:

XP home Edition, Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz, 1Gb RAM

earok(Posted 2008) [#42]
I havent heard those issues before Terry, very peculiar! I wonder if the download was corrupted? Can you please send me a screen grab or two? (earok3d at gmail dot com)

I'm sorry to hear you're having speed issues Sauer, I wasn't able to optimise the game as well I was hoping to. You may be able to get better speed if you drop the resolution to 800x600x16, the detail to 4 and the target frame rate to 30, and then close and restart the game. Sorry once again!

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#43]
Still having issues, plus this time I had what looked like shards of walls and space protruding from the walls.

Still like the music and menus though.

Zenith(Posted 2008) [#44]
It still is playing great Erik, congrats on finishing it. I enjoy the new sounds -- the atmosphere is all so much scarier. Just the way it needs to be. Congratulations!!! :D

The new Follow me right click on your troops is a GREAT addition!

Chroma - I'm glad I mean something to somebody! :)

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#45]
Great work here. I've got a Dell Dimension 2600 w/Intel Integrated, and I get lots of weird triangles from other parts of the level popping up constantly, but that actually seems to add to the mystery.

The back story is well done too. Movement is a little slow. Is there a hurry up button?

Thanks for this.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#46]
i always die UBER-QUICK...

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#47]
HUZZAH! a Space Hulk based game!
I love Space Hulk, got my box from eBay with all the miniatures and cardboard sets, and all icons. It's just great - as inspiration too, the setting is just awesome. The painting on the cover box is worth the price of the whole thing, along with the manuals and all cool illustrations that come with it. Good going!

About the soldiers there, well, I guess it really depends on "when" your game is going to pass. If it is a realistic Sci-Fi FPS, then I think it's alright to have the guys wearing camos like earth-soldiers. But if it goes throught 40k years on the future ( :D ) then the armours could be much more biological and integrated within the living being (just like the Power Armour of the Space Marines has synthetic nerves between its plates to adjust the movement accordingly. Along with Biometric and battle sensor and devices).