Sheep Defence Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Sheep Defence Game

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#1]
Sorry about the double up. I forgot to mention you have sheep, sheep in hangliders and sheep in tanks. You have lasers, Machine gun, bomb and missile turrets and 5 levels with approx 45 minutes of play.
Here's a screenshot:

I welcome positive comments but please be nice. It's my first game!
Heres the link to the Website to get the download.

Link Here

Cheers!!

markcw(Posted 2008) [#2]
Might as well just link to those images [in your other thread] they don't load for me.

Hanglider.jpg
Sheep in a tank.jpg

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hmm, neat little game.
I like it, certainly is a change for the genre.

And the sheep in a hanglider looks hilarious.

Some suggestions though:

1. Make it easier to get money when you start out, I got three towers and wasnt able to buy anymore before I died.

2. Make a "quick move" button... like that shoots you forward faster, just to help you get around.

3. I like the whole, one turret does more damage to stuff then others, but make it so they all at least SHOOT at the thing, aka, the MGturrets shoot at the tanks.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#4]
My tester (ie. mate) wanted me to take the "all turrets shoot at stuff" out because he hated having a tank roll past while the slow bomb turret aimed at the nearest sheep.
It's a possibility though.
As for the money thing, play it two or three times and you get to know that the first level is easy with three turrets and you'll have money left over at the end. Don't want to make it too easy!
Thanks for the tips, hope more people give it a go!

Get game here

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#5]
How about this then, the targets that are weak against them take priority over the others?
Think you could do that one?

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#6]
No problem to prioritize targets. You should have seen the problems trying to get the AI turrets to track a moving target with different speed bullets!
I'll add it to my "to do" list.
I would also appreciate help on artwork. I CANT MODEL! I need a better castle and the terrains need more time and effort spent on them.
Thanks for the input.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#7]
Was pretty fun!
Laser is overpowered, you can kill anything with it fairly easy if you upgrade.

Also I noticed on the max upgrade for turrets, for me, the bullets were bugged.

It wasn't that hard to beat actually, I flied through levels 1-3 and 4-5 were a bit harder. Good game, I love tower defense games.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#8]
Laser too powerful huh? That'll go on the "todo" list. Did u upgrade it to level 5?
Each upgrade adds range/ammo amount/turret health/shot frequency. so I guess it could get pretty tough.... suppose that's why you need people to test it.
As for the bullets, they don't always collide. I thing it's too do with a maximum entity/entity collision limit, If anyone has any idea I would be pleased to hear from you.
More levels?
Someone could try to make some more in L3DT and I'll use my custom path tool to get them in the game.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#9]
i'll make some landscapes for you
i have a few on hand actually what size map and such do you want?
[edit] i could host it for you too so you have a direct link
[edit2] after playing for a while heres some thoughts about it.
1. the terrain textures need to be large compared to the terrains
2. the money needs to come faster

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#10]
A new host site would be great. I don't want to spend money on a website so that would be tremendous.
Terrains are 256x256 but I had a though to make them bigger and limit the player to the inside so you don't get to the edge (similar to Battlefield2 maps) What do you think?
The texture size is low so that they run on slower computers but could easily be increased.
Money is a balance issue. More people who play it need to say what they think. I like it reasonably challenging to start but I can tweak it easily.

If ur reading this- Download and test! we need more input

Get it here

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
well i'll upload it, have you heard of officelive.com ? its a free website hosting and stuff, you should check it out.
heres the zip http://mtnhome3d.com/Documents/Sheep_Defence.zip

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#12]
was trying to test the download but the server is temp offline.....

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#13]
Played again, was fun, but got bored owning on level 2 (Got to level 5 yesterday) owned the level with just a laser turret and homing missile turret (Upgraded both to max, laser was upgraded immediately to max in beginning) :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#14]
download working now, played, was fun.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#15]
Yeah, Thanks for the input.
I will tweak down the upgrade benfits but keep them cheap. I had no idea the laser got sooooooooo powerful!
I'll update it soon, will let you all know.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#16]
OK. So it's update.
Changes include:
1. Turrets now prioitize targets.
2. Laser Turret does much less damage
3. All turrets upgrade 3 levels only
3. All turret upgrades are now less extreme

Here are the updated files

Complete updated Zip
SheepDefence exe only

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#17]
Played, you hit the nerf pretty well.
Now the laser is absolutely worthless:D lol, maybe later you could make the weapons effective against certain types of units only. Laser hits any units, used to be very damaging at level 5, now upgraded to level 3 (max now) its worthless :D

Keep it up bro, I love tower defense games like I said.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#18]
Some people are never happy!!
Without fully testing it's hard to get the balance, and balance makes the game replayable.
I halved the damage of the laser but maybe should have allowed 5 levels of upgrade still.
Damge amounts are fully changeable.
What should take most damage from laser, sheep/hangliders or tanks?
Don't want to screw with it too much.

And finially, I want to give it away freeware, so what site is best to contact?

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#19]
I'd say most damage to tanks. And take no offense bro, I was only trying to help.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#20]
Keep your miniguns close, but keep your Heat Seeking Missle Launchers closer.

If you put 1 or 2 Missle Launcher at the castle
2 Miniguns, 1 on the inside of a curve, the other on the other side.
and 1 Bomb launcher

Upgrade often
Now that's the best strategy

That was pretty fun, the first ever Tower Defense game I've ever played was on Age of Empires 2, and on there it was REALLY REALLY fun until the master server was shut down due to Age of Mythology (either that or Age of Empires 3).

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#21]
Still need idea on where to release it freeware? Anyone done anything like that before?
What site do you download your freeware from?
Is it good enough to pop it on Indiegamer?

GIA_Green_Fire_ : Get past level 5 and I'll be impressed (especially with a crappy laser)

Future upgrade on it's way. I have testers lined up for tonight: watch this space!

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#22]
hey srcoder about those terrains, i was thinking you could do with 2 colormaps that are different sizes and just pick the bigger one if the user selects the "high spec" option.
also the wasd keys need to make you move faster.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#23]
Thats a good solution. The terrains are made in L3DT if you want to give it a go. High Spec computers could have much bigger terrains too. I hate seeing the edge of the map. I could load very big terrains and limit movement to the middle.

L3DT Homepage

If people want high spec lets give it to them.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#24]
i have l3dt and would love making maps for you

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#25]
I probably could've gotten past level 5 if I wouldn't have quit on level 3 with over 500 credits to spare(Yes, I quit, I didn't lose :P), I had other things I wanted to do in that one day.

I didn't use the lasers because they suck... lol... I just placed the other turrets down in just the right spots and I was invincible!

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#26]
Someone I talked with about the game reckoned more levels were essential.
In L3DT just create a randomish terrain and bulldoze a path. Edit the attribute map when it's created to some kind of dirt color and let it do it's magic.
send a link to the L3DT project files and I can include them in the game.

as for:
I just placed the other turrets down in just the right spots and I was invincible!

That's the point! Good placement is key but level 5 has 4 paths not just 1!

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#27]
i can't do any work in the saphire part of l3dt(the 3d part with the bulldoze function) on vista, it always crashes.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#28]
Well that sucks.
Can you edit the attribute map to make the path instead? Just paint the path with one type of attribute (ie. stone)
You can quickly load it up in blitz to see the result
just export the texture map, the light map and the heightmap and stick them on.
Send me any good ones!

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#29]
i'll try the attrib map but i always get poor results when its done this way.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#30]
Can you use terraEd and import the heightmap into L3DT?
Any terrain editing software will do, however. I just used l3dt cos it's free and does the hard work for me.
The game engine uses the heightmap, lighmap and texturemap. So anything that can export these jpg/bmp will do.
Have fun creating.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#31]
So anything that can export these jpg/bmp will do.

try png to preserve quality at little cost or targa and use a detail texture to add detail when seen close up, i'll show you an example soon.
[edit] heres those examples i told you about

i'll use l3dt and work on it, the bigger the map size though the better.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#32]
I always keep in mind the low spec computers. I add another layer of texture for the blood so already that is 3 layers.
email me the maps and I will path-ify them!

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#33]
i'm e-mailing them to you as i speak.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#34]
hi folks, i have an update that has taken a while to get here but it finally has come. the sheep come faster and the laser is better. http://www.box.net/shared/kzqicpe88k