Calculus: The Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Calculus: The Game

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello everyone,

In my calculus class, we were given an extra credit assignment to create a game demonstrating calculus. Because of my grade not being very good, I decided to go all out and create a computer game, and I got a pretty good grade.

After smoothing out some of the bugs I encountered, I wanted to submit it here, to get some feedback on what is good and what is bad (except it being a game about calculus ;)

And so I humbly bring you Calculus: The Game

So I hope you enjoy, here is a screenshot:

And a download (single .exe, zipped with some external text files):
Calculus: The Game

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#2]
I think the game mechanic needs a bit of polish, for example it took me a while to figure out I needed to press the right mouse after correctly getting an answer to proceed.

Nice sound and I like the graphics style.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#3]
I will certainly add a "Right click to continue..." line under those.

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad you like it, eased my nerves a bit.

Still looking for more feedback!

Ked(Posted 2008) [#4]
I haven't tried it but from the screenshot, the graphics look like they were done in MS Paint. I would definitely try and make them look a little bit better. Maybe some Photoshop?

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#5]
I don't have Photoshop, but I do have GIMP 2, yet it is so complex (to me at least) that I can't really even use it to its full potential...

I'll try though. Can't let graphics hold me back anymore...

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#6]
How severe is the graphics problem? Is it a total overhaul, small tweaking, or really not too too much of an issue?

If I need the first two, what should I do to make it look better? Any quick tips?

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#7]
I have no problem with the graphics.
I though the game was very inventive, and quite well
thought out.(For a calculus game that is.)

Keep up the good work Sauer!

What does 1 WERDNA + 3 Gnomes To The ^ Of Slime = ?

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hmmm... ok so I have two people that don't mind the graphics and one that says they need to improve. That means I should probably upgrade them at least a bit.

Has anyone played it out for an extended period of time? If the calculus is giving you trouble, you can always check the text file for answers. The format is as follows:

Question
Answer 1
Answer 2
Answer 3
Answer 4
Answer 5
Correct answer number

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I hope there is more to come.

nawi(Posted 2008) [#9]
The screenshot makes you think that Newton is ready to kick some ass

GfK(Posted 2008) [#10]
The screenshot makes you think that Newton is ready to kick some ass
Not for long though. The guy in the painting on the left is shooting lasers out of his eyes.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#11]
Later in the game you'll encounter Zeno, the Greek philosopher, but he's just a stone head :)

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#12]
I think the game mechanic needs a bit of polish

Are there any other examples of this that I could improve on?

I haven't tried it but from the screenshot, the graphics look like they were done in MS Paint

What artistic techniques should I implement to look less MS Paintish? Perhaps I could use a similar effect on the walls as I did on the floor to give it more texture? Or what else?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#13]
The grainy effect on the floor is (to me) even less attractive than no texture at all. It looks bad anyway but its blindingly obvious that you just airbrushed a little bit then cloned it. The repeated patterns are very easy to pick out. Even the clip-art bits aren't aesthetically nice.

I'm basing this on what you said in another thread (which I can't find now to link to) - something along the lines of "what do i need to do to sell this?".

Personally I think its a concept that will never ever sell. But first and foremost, the graphics need a lot of work. Why haven't more people said this? Probably because they can't be bothered dealing with the way certain people have reacted recently to negative feedback.

Two people saying the graphics are OK, and one person saying they're not, doesn't mean they're OK.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#14]
Excellent point (especially concerning the easily spotted cloning), I'm glad someone has come out and said it.

As for the concept, I'm not really looking at mainstream gamers more toward educators and the like. But someone told me (and I do think there is weight to this argument) "The problem is that at the age someone learns calculus, generally they are not still playing educational games."

But regardless if I sell it or not, I really still want to improve it because I like this game, so thats the bottom line.

I will continue work and do some research to improve my graphics. Perhaps a smudge/smear effect instead of the grainy? Gfk was great at giving me specifics; bad grainy effect, overcloned, etc. I need more.

Just remember: Sauer <> Xylvan