Gunslinger Solitaire

Community Forums/Showcase/Gunslinger Solitaire

therevills(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi All,

The Revills Games are pleased to announce the release of:

* High Resolution Graphics Version (1024x768)
* Low Resolution Graphics Version (800x600)
* Ten Stages with Ten Rounds Each
* Eight Unlockable Store Items
* Six Mini-Games
* Hours of Fun!

For Windows and Mac OS X

Gunslinger Solitaire

Guess what inspired it! ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
I can guess ;-) Checking it out now, looks cool!

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#3]
Does it include a windowed mode?

therevills(Posted 2008) [#4]

Does it include a windowed mode?

Yep, go to the options and turn full screen off...

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
Wow this is an excellent use of the Grey Alien Framework, well done! Great themed graphics and sound and fun mini-games (And COOL intro). We already know the gameplay is addictive from Fairway Solitaire ;-)

Are you going to put this on the portals? Don't know what BFG will make of it...

therevills(Posted 2008) [#6]
Are you going to put this on the portals?

Yes, thats the next step for Gunslinger...

Don't know what BFG will make of it...

Well they seem to like clones... so hopefully they like it...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#7]
*shock horror* Now there are TWO of them!

Nice :-)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#8]
looks like that other solitaire game, nice work

therevills(Posted 2008) [#9]
nice work

Thanks for the comments...

Just sent a few emails off to a few portals... now the waiting game begins...

*(Posted 2008) [#10]
The money bags bit looks like the cash section in 'Ultimate play the game's Gunfright :)

therevills(Posted 2008) [#11]
The money bags bit looks like the cash section in 'Ultimate play the game's Gunfright

Funny you should mention that.... ;-)

Did you know Gunfright actually have a sound very similar to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly theme... I SO wanted to use that too (but thought I better not)!

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#12]
Not to throw something out off base. But the bullet pic you are using is a .22 long rifle. To fit the theme, you should switch to a .45 Long Colt or something similar.

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#13]
If you enter prohibited characters during "enter your name" the game crashes.

cheers
Roman

therevills(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thanks for the suggestion TaskMaster... actually later on in the game you can buy a rifle... also I like the look of the .22 more than the .45.

prohibited characters

Which characters?

BTW Big Fish Games have got back to me and offered me a contract :-)

Now to sort out all the paper work.... and get myself a US tax number....

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#15]
Which characters?

I assume international characters like é ç Ä, etc.

If you don't support those, you probably should limit input to a-z and 0-9 or so.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#16]
When you set up your Enter Name Prompt, are you calling MakeCharsFileNameSafe()? Like this:

Local d:TDialogTextInput = TDialogTextInput.Create("", "", 12, ccLoadBitmap(Game.ImagePath+"dialogs/enteryourname.png"),0,0,0,MAX_NAME_WIDTH)
	'Ban some troublesome chars that could crash the filename.
	d.TextInput.MakeCharsFileNameSafe()

That will ban these chars: "|*\/:;~~?<>,+=%

All others on a UK keybaord work (I tested) however, I'll be interested to see if Roman has found others that crash...

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#17]
It was probably \, because I typed something fast and tried to hit enter, but my finger pressed two at once. Though I didn't test ±¶ó泿¼ so you may want to test those too :D

cheers
Roman

therevills(Posted 2008) [#18]
are you calling MakeCharsFileNameSafe()?

Just checked.... no Im not, but I cant get it to crash - the textinput doesnt allow me to enter in those characters anyway....

EDIT:
Just checked in commontypes.bmx, its in the TPlayerManager already:

Method Manage()
If Menu.Clicked("Create") Then
EnterName = EnterNamePromptFunc(1) 'we want a cancel button
'Ban some troublesome chars that could crash the filename.
EnterName.TextInput.MakeCharsFileNameSafe()

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#19]
Yes TPlayerManager does call MakeCharsFileNameSafe() but I assume that when the game first loads you show the Enter Name prompt on its own (not via the player manager) and you should also be calling MakeCharsFileNameSafe() when you show it on it's own (via the Title Screen). The AOTMG doesn't call it (although I've just changed the code to make it do that), so you may have missed that out.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#20]
Gottcha!

Forgot that it is called differently... removed all the profiles and tried again...

Yep - it crashes! - Thanks Roman

And thanks GA to pointing out the fix

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#21]
You are welcome :-) Good job Roman tries to break things ;-p It also means that the next AOTMG will have the same fix in it so others who use that as a base will get it right. I wrote that code for Fairway you see and it was in that but I forgot to put it in AOTMG.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#22]
Ive applied the fix and compiled the game on th Mac...

Could Mac users please test the demo?

Thanks!

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#23]
Hey this looks pretty nice. Downloading and will report back!

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#24]
Dude that's awesome! How long was the dev time on that?

therevills(Posted 2008) [#25]
that's awesome!

Thanks Chroma!

How long was the dev time on that?

Started it in February, so that makes it about 3 months, I had a lot of the card routines already done because of my previous game "One".

therevills(Posted 2008) [#26]
YAY! Gunslinger Solitaire has finally been released on BFG:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/3513/gunslinger-solitaire-game/index.html

Ive been working on the German, France and Spanish versions... next time I do a multi-language game Im going put all the strings in text files and make sure that the font I use includes foreign characters first!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#27]
Good luck with it, I'll be watching how it does in the charts.

next time I do a multi-language game Im going put all the strings in text files and make sure that the font I use includes foreign characters first!
Lol. That's why I made a TGameText type which supports Unicode, so does TBitmapFont. Use them, that's what I did for the localised versions of Fairway.

sswift(Posted 2008) [#28]
This is the first I've heard of this. I can tell from the screenshots it'd probably be fun!

The mini-game idea is neat.

Did fairway solitaire have mini-games? I don't remember encountering any when I tried the demo.

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#29]
therevills,

Congratulations - it is great to see people complete games and get them sold using the tools we love.

All the best,

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#30]
Did fairway solitaire have mini-games? I don't remember encountering any when I tried the demo.
Yes 3 (long drive, putting, missing ball) + 26 other Wildcard events. The demo was designed so that there was a very good chance you'd see a couple of mini-games in the first hour.

sswift(Posted 2008) [#31]
A couple minigames in the first HOUR? So one minigame every 30 minutes?

I think you greatly overestimate how much time someone is going to give your demo the chance to show it's true genius.

I played Fairway Solitaire for eight minutes. That's about how long I'll play most game demos. If they haven't hooked me in that time, then they'll languish forever with 52 minutes of time remaining. :-)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#32]
I wonder how many people actually play the whole of the free hour in a demo?

I don't expect its many. Actually I wouldn't expect many to give it more than 20 minutes.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#33]
time demos are good and bad

cant think of many good at the moment so here are the bad
just as you are getting into it it times out quitting the game to a buy me splash and will never run again
or
you get x mins playing time per session (like my mobile bejeweled) which is even more frustraighting as it feels just too damn short i kinda liked bejeweled enough to pay for the full game (well i do get £5 of free downloads a month)

the first blitz3D demo's were damn annoying in that respect as i had blitzbasic installed but the demo of 3D was associated with the .bb's so id want to make an exe and find im in the wrong ide and have lost a life or id open a file by double clicking it and it wouldnt open in a new tab in an existing ide but open a second one ... so when i wanted to use blitz3D itself id find myself out of luck very annoying

therevills(Posted 2008) [#34]

Good luck with it, I'll be watching how it does in the charts.

Cheers GA... me too ;-)

Congratulations

Thanks IPete2

With the minigames in Gunslinger Solitaire, you get a new one every stage you win (up to Stage 6), but its randomised. So on stage 1 you only get minigame 1, but on stage 2 you can get minigame 1 and 2 etc...

I just typed in Gunslinger Solitaire into Google and the first page is full of BFG affiliates selling it :-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#35]
I wonder how many people actually play the whole of the free hour in a demo?

I don't expect its many. Actually I wouldn't expect many to give it more than 20 minutes.

I play the demos until I don't want to any more. So for something good I often play the whole hour out frantically and then at the end consider buying it (time management games often do this to me). Other games I sometimes play anywhere from 5 mins to 40 mins before I feel I've seen enough. With Fairway I know that many people did play the whole demo and buy the game (much higher % than for most games esp. on Mac). Playing only 8 mins certainly won't give a good feel for the game and what it has to offer, but if people don't like what they are seeing in those 8 mins then fair enough. We tried to make it so that people would want to keep on playing, but it obviously doesn't work for everyone. (The mini-games *may* come up as a result of WILDCARDS which are not introduced until level 2 or 3 or something. We couldn't break the game rules by showing a mini-game really early).

Sorry therevills that we've gone off topic but hopefully this will be good into for tuning your next game demo! :-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#36]
I like Gray's card game more than this one, mainly because the graphics are more polished, it has better sound and is more fun. But this is a pretty good effort. I'm unsure through why you tried to copy so much of Fairway Solitaire. It leaves little to set it apart other than being a cheaper clone?

Also can we be done with the very low emission-rate tiny particle effect that leaks out of the mouse pointer on the menu screens on every GA Framework game? ;-)

therevills(Posted 2008) [#37]

Sorry therevills that we've gone off topic but hopefully this will be good into for tuning your next game demo! :-)

No problem GA... very insightful...

I like Gray's card game more than this one

Me too...

graphics are more polished

Which version did you play? I originally made the 1024x768 version which I think is quite polished, it looks like BFG is just selling the 800x600 (I downloaded the demo).

a cheaper clone

Why do people clone other games? Match 3 etc?

Also can we be done with the very low emission-rate tiny particle effect that leaks out of the mouse pointer

Its a cool effect and I like it! You dont see many games doing it...

But this is a pretty good effort

Thanks! Its my first commercial game!

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#38]
Did you make this and offer it to BFG, or did they hire you to make it?

therevills(Posted 2008) [#39]
Did you make this and offer it to BFG, or did they hire you to make it?

I made it, then sent them a version and they offered me a contract :-)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#40]
"With the minigames in Gunslinger Solitaire, you get a new one every stage you win (up to Stage 6), but its randomised. So on stage 1 you only get minigame 1, but on stage 2 you can get minigame 1 and 2 etc..."

I like that idea! Thanks for sharing.