360 shooter FPS (test)

Community Forums/Showcase/360 shooter FPS (test)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey guys, let me know what FPS you get with my current project...

Download

Controls:

Mouse = move target/rotate player.
LMB = fire
RMB = bomb
SPACE = accelerate
number row 1(not numpad) = add bomb(havent implemented ammo yet)

The HUD is all concept, haven't gotten around to photoshop a decent one...

MGE(Posted 2008) [#2]
The fps is hard to read due to the alpha background. I would: SetBlend SOLIDBLEND right before displaying the fps and only update the fps every second. Otherwise, fps appears to be running in the high 50's, lower 60's which is about right for my system, but I'm not a big fan of all those lines you're drawing, those seem slow to render in my tests btw.

Also, the blurry background might be kind of distracting due to how small your main ships are. If you had bigger ships you could probably get away with it, but already focusing on small 2d sprites and then dealing with the blurry background gave me a bit of a negative vibe.

BUT...code wise, your programming appears solid at this point, so congrats on that! Keep it going. ;)

Cp(Posted 2008) [#3]
@JGOware:I agree that the background is blurry, but I can see the FPS meter perfectly fine.

Sugestion:Block off the area a little bit, cause' you can just run from enemies.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#4]
The targeting thing is made of lines, would an image be faster? If so, how would I make it so the lines seem infinite?

The FPS should be around an avg of 60 (the test is not suppost to drop below 60 or go higher)

The blurr effect is to simulate that there's more dynamic things going on than there really is. I can turn the intensity down. The idea being that things are moving so fast that they seem blurred.

And the infinite level was part of the design, the enemies are just about as fast as the player so they shouldnt be far behind if he runs..

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#5]
It appears as if I get about 121 fps, as mentioned, a little hard to read but 121 looks like the deal.

Project looks great though :)

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#6]
Great start.