dapp - Desktop Utility

Community Forums/Showcase/dapp - Desktop Utility

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
Updated 5/7/2008 12:33 AM

dapp is a program that allows you to have multiple 'desktops' and run applications on those desktops. You can switch between desktop using user defined hotkeys.

dapp is Windows only. I have only tested it on Windows XP, Windows 2000 should work also (but no guarantees!). I highly doubt this will run on Vista.

Note: This is a beta, dapp may have some bugs. If you find any bugs please post!

It already has a config file, but its just as a place-holder. When you get it be sure to head over to the Preferences window (Ctrl+P, or Edit->Preferences) from the main window.

Note: If you change a hotkey's 'action' to nothing, it will be deleted when you change to another hotkey, or when you close the Prefs window. You can delete an Application by deleting all the fields (name, url and cmd), they will be changed upon the same conditions as a hotkey.

http://files.filefront.com/dappzip/;10147690;/fileinfo.html

VERY IMPORTANT: Currently, you cannot change the hotkey to get back to your default desktop (the one assigned by windows), it is Ctrl+Alt+Q. The default key for toggling the main window is Ctrl+Alt+E
Before using this for the first time, be sure to save all data and close any critical applications. If you manage to get stuck in a desktop (highly unlikely, unless your running in an environment that I haven't tested yet) you'll have to restart your computer.

Notice, the main window isn't visible on start, look in your system tray, a single left-click should open the main window. If not, the default config has a hotkey to toggle the main window (Ctrl+Alt+E).

The default configured hotkeys are as follows (not including the toggle key, mentioned above):
Ctrl+Alt+W: SetDesktop 'Utilities'
Ctrl+Alt+A: SetDesktop 'Games'
Ctrl+Alt+S: SetDesktop 'Communication'
Ctrl+Alt+D: SetDesktop 'Other'

UNCHANGEABLE (currently):
Ctrl+Alt+Q: SetDesktop *windows default*

FIXES: Accidentally had two 'Games' Desktops - re-uploaded.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#2]
this is very exciting, linux / unix esque virtual desktops in windows. My initial attempt at accessing your link took > 2 mins of blue ness... might be due to my ISP, who knows. But that was just trying to access the fileinfo.html - where is the executable ?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#3]
Just a suggestion, but I'd think that it would be easier to remember shortcuts like CTRL-ALT-F1, CTRL-ALT-F2, CTRL-ALT-F3, ... or something like CTRL-ALT-1, CTRL-ALT-2, CTRL-ALT-3, ... instead of something seemingly arbitrary like W, A, S and D.

IIRC pretty much all Linux distributions use the function keys to switch desktops.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2008) [#4]
Nice programming job dude... But I've already got a multi-desktop gadget in my Google Toolbar. ^_^ Go Go Google!

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
But that was just trying to access the fileinfo.html - where is the executable ?
You have to copy & paste that link, the blitz site parser doesn't like ';'. There is a download button on that page.

I'd think that it would be easier to remember shortcuts like CTRL-ALT-F1, CTRL-ALT-F2, CTRL-ALT-F3, ... or something like CTRL-ALT-1, CTRL-ALT-2, CTRL-ALT-3, ... instead of something seemingly arbitrary like W, A, S and D.
I found it easier and more convenient to use the hotkeys that I did, but as I mentioned those were just placeholders, and they are completely customizable.

IIRC pretty much all Linux distributions use the function keys to switch desktops.
Sounds right.. I like mine how they are :P

Nice programming job dude... But I've already got a multi-desktop gadget in my Google Toolbar. ^_^ Go Go Google!
Thanks. I am assuming you mean Google Desktop?