Stunt Race Xtreme : still WIP - image heavy

Community Forums/Showcase/Stunt Race Xtreme : still WIP - image heavy

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#1]
SRX is still going, and I've recently completely overhauled the look of it and the way the track creation works - the tracks are now created in a custom editor and output with their AI, checkpoints etc... for the game to load. This makes it much easier to create and modify tracks and test the AI.

So, the editor:

The basic editor screen with the default oval track:

The Crysis-style editing mode - select the mode you want (eg. height edit), click on a track segment, then use the mousewheel to alter it in realtime, and the rest of the track will be rebuilt around your adjustment.

Gaps and jumps are just segments flagged as invisible - the editor auto-adds the vertical walls to these segs.

AI editing - each AI point has a user-adjustable speed and turbo rating:

Checkpoints - placed by selecting a segment and choosing the enable-CP option:

Next, some new in-game shots. The vehicle has been redesigned and is now made of fewer parts, so we can have 8 cars at 60fps (the flame graphic is currently missing so the exhaust/turbo flames are currently white blocks).

The in-car view:

Wheelspin smoke from the startline:

Mutli-car mayhem:

Opposite-lock powersliding with smoke:

Crashing with smoke and breakable wheels:

Thats all for now.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looking good :)

_33(Posted 2008) [#3]
Exceptionnal :)

WMSteadman(Posted 2008) [#4]
Incredible :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
Looks like fun!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#6]
Who do I make the cheque out to?

Amon(Posted 2008) [#7]
Looking good. :)

DarkMere(Posted 2008) [#8]
Stop giving me carrots and give me the game!

Looks Great!

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#9]
that looks great...

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#10]
Looks wicked fun.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#11]
Ooooo... very cool...

siread(Posted 2008) [#12]
Looks stunning. Is this Blitz3d? When's the beta? :P

MGE(Posted 2008) [#13]
"so we can have 8 cars at 60fps " Totally depending on cpu/gpu ofcourse. ;)

Game looks awesome.....me want!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#14]
Looking good - it's about time you got back into this one!!

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#15]
Is this Blitz3d?

Yes, just normal B3D, using Tokamak for the physics and Noel's Lotus particle system.

"so we can have 8 cars at 60fps " Totally depending on cpu/gpu ofcourse. ;)

That's correct, what I meant was that I can now run 8 cars at 60fps whereas previously the framerate would drop with 8 cars.

I want to add quite a lot of scenery to the tracks (you can see the mountain object in the editor screenshots) but it's all scaleable - the user can turn stuff off that doesn't impact the game to get the framerate up.

As for Beta / demo, I've still got loads to do to link the front end into the game section correctly to allow the game to setup a race and then process the results, and I really hate doing front ends >:(

LarsG(Posted 2008) [#16]
Hurry up Vorderman.. My money is waiting!!!! :)

Yeshu777(Posted 2008) [#17]
Looks amazing, keep at it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#18]
Still looks brilliant. Really hope you can get this finished!

John Blackledge(Posted 2008) [#19]
Exceptional gui.
Great icons.

Foppy(Posted 2008) [#20]
Great stuff! :)

*(Posted 2008) [#21]
brilliant stuff cant wait for this :)

Cp(Posted 2008) [#22]
Looks great...but i'd be liable to fall off the track.LOL

olo(Posted 2008) [#23]
Looks amazing, where was the track made? I have been looking for a decent one for ages and that one looks great.

Great work

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#24]
but i'd be liable to fall off the track

No, you *WILL* fall off the track, lots at first :)
The game is pretty difficult, no auto-centre or sticky tyres here - you need to control the car on the throttle and be careful where you use the turbo. Drifting is quite easy to start but tricky to hold a full drift right around a corner, but it can be done.

where was the track made?

The track editor (shown in the top few screenshots) auto-builds the track mesh is realtime as you edit it, so as you rotate a segment or pitch it or roll it you can watch the mesh bend around and adjust itself. There is the option to auto-close the track loop to ensure a continuous smooth track, so all you have to do is get the end point quote near the start point and the editor closes the loop for you. The gaps are segments flagged as invisible, the editor automatically adds the vertical walls to block the open ends of these invisible segments.

LarsG(Posted 2008) [#25]
Is it possible to use a analogue joypad in the game, Vorderman?

Also... I'm always available to betatest!!!! *hint, hint* :D

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#26]
Yes it is - the game currently supports keyboard, joystick (or joypad) and steering wheel. I used to use a PS2 dual-shock controller through one of those joybox things and it worked fine.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#27]
a vid of that start and some of the smashes would be good

Rafery(Posted 2008) [#28]
Bravissimo!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#29]
Yip, give us a video of it in action - I'd quite like to see the vehicle handling 'cos I'd imagine it's pretty realistic.

I bet it plays best with dual sticks - everything should have them as an option imo.

Genexi2(Posted 2008) [#30]
Sure has come quite a way since the old demo you let out a good year ago.

Is the multiplayer still in? I recall you having gotten it working at one point, but can't recall. Would be awesome at some point for a network-test demo featuring us all racing about and flailing off the tracks.

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#31]
Ahh, glad it has keyboard support... I remember a demo of this a couple years ago that was joypad only... and THAT version was awesome.

And they say ol' b3d is useless now... p'shaw!!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#32]
aye the quaility of the cars look ace on the lines of shop bought games
the image grabs are crips too my only gripe is the white 'glare' on what i assume to be the rear view mirrors

KuRiX2(Posted 2008) [#33]
Awesome Job.

I still remember the first screenshots of the game. It has evolved very well.

Keep the good work and provide us a demo asap :)

Regards, KuRi.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#34]
Will this game be shareward/freeware? I'm itching to download and play!

I loved "SODA off road racing", and this looks about 10 times better.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#35]
Very impressive, the amount of polish is very evident in your screenies above. Even if you only intend to do the 'i did this' bit (which I doubt, this looks VERY marketable) - kudos to you.

b3d still rox. (;-)

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#36]
I know what I'm getting for Christmas.
Simply Amazing!

The Mighty WERDNA(Will happily be your faithful servant, if you
release a Demo)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#37]
when people start harping on about NEEDING DX9 or bla bla bla efect to finish their game its nice to be shown what bog standard b3d with dx7 can do if you have a good set of models and textures

but thats just going by some screen shots it might run pants on my box ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#38]
those images of the cars losing wheels etc are fantastic eye candy even as stills, eagerly looking forward to your demo, would love to be a beta tester.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#39]
Any ETA for a demo? ;)

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#40]
Er, no not really...sorry :(

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#41]
Edit to say, I'd happily make a demo if I had some way to compress all my assets into one exe or something, so they're inaccesible to the end-user, using a free app.

I think Molebox does this, but it's not free.

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#42]
Hi Vorderman,

There are free alternatives of Molebox available. Check out the ones in the blitz toolbox section...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=10

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#43]
Edit to say, I'd happily make a demo if I had some way to compress all my assets into one exe or something, so they're inaccesible to the end-user, using a free app.

Didn't terabit write one of these many moons ago for B3D?

Ked(Posted 2008) [#44]
Screenshots look great.

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#45]
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished game.
How did you find using tokomak? Did you use sensors for the wheels? Or rigidbodies? My car handling suck in Tokamak but it's the simplest out there.
Keep up the great work.
Blitz3D Still does the business eh?

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#46]
Looks very very good. Congratulations

RexRhino(Posted 2008) [#47]
I was looking at this and thinking "It would be so cool with weapons".

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#48]
How did you find using tokomak? Did you use sensors for the wheels?

Tokamak is great. I'm using rigid bodies for the wheels as I wrote most of it before the sensor stuff was added to the wrapper. The key to it seems to be to vary the friction between the wheels and the road depending upon the speed of the vehicle, what inputs the player is making, and how much power or braking or steering is currently applied.

I seperate the front and rear wheels collision (and thus friction) IDs so I can vary them independently, to allow the cars to powerslide better. It's become very complex over time, but it started off quite simple.

There's also an element of auto-centering to stabilise the car a bit, but it's pretty tricky to drive flatout and requires proper use of throttle and brakes and not just foot-to-the-floor at all times.

Uncle: thanks for the link, I'll give one of those a try.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#49]
Hi!

Nice project. When you need music for this game, i give you a special price.
What a kind of music do you like for this game?

srcoder(Posted 2008) [#50]
Thanks for the tips.
You have inspired me to restart my tokamak projects!
(previously I was screwed by sensors being lost when you included their rigidbody in a Type)

What method did you use for the shadows? Just a texture splat? I can't really tell from the screenshots.

Great work on the project, keep up the updates.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#51]
Wonderful job so far. Just a suggestion as to a gui; you might want to release the demo with a text-only gui and use the forum to suggest what information is important and where it should go. Then you'll a) be inspired to create the gui and b) make a better one. You'd still have to design the graphics for it, though.

Another thought occurs: The first beta can use generic media just to get feedback on the physics. Even just cubes and cylinders for the cars/wheels. You would need your track of course, but the rest of the scenery can be planes or open source media. I sense that a lot of the folks here (myself included) are eager to test the car handling and ai support and can wait for the media.

(I should mention that I have an ulterior motive; I've been slowly working on a racing game myself. If it ever gets built it will focus on long winding tracks (think Nurburgring) and emphasize laptimes over mayhem). Still, me loves the mayhem and your program looks awesome!