gile[s] 2.0 beta 2

Community Forums/Showcase/gile[s] 2.0 beta 2

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

After quite a bit of a delay 2.0 beta 2 is ready for public consumption!

Some very old screenshots:

Get it here: http://www.frecle.net/update/download.php

New stuff:

Multiple Viewports
They're back baby!

Camera Mode
For easy navigation around the scene, without holding keys at the same time

Neat Grid™
Grid assisted placement has never been easier. Move the grid or align it to surfaces, to easily position or create objects with ease!

Quick instructions on how to use it:
- Press and hold Space + left mouse button to move the grid up/down.
- Press and hold Space + right mouse button to align to a surface.
- Press Ctrl+Space to reset the grid to the initial position.

Real primitives
Box, sphere, etc. are now special model classes, which makes them a little more useful.

Lighting Methods Wizard
Easily assign lightmaps based on simple rules, without resorting to manual work.

Rules include:
- Lightmap size
- Max. number of lightmaps
- Special rules for transparent materials
- Special rules based on size of models, or how thin they are
- Name based rules, ie. materials containing "whatever" in the name can be assigned to vertex lighting automatically

30-Day Trial Version
Unregistered users may try out the trial version for 30 days without restrictions.

Registered Users
Registered users must re-enter their license code on the first run.

Auto Update
Never miss another update! gile[s] can automatically check for and install new updates when they are available.

Bug fixes
Various mysterious crash bugs should now be corrected!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#2]
This looks really nice but I'm only seeing one of your three screenshots?

sigi(Posted 2008) [#3]
I must always re-enter my license code, not only on the first run. Why?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hi,

@ImaginaryHuman: Yeah, I think our server is undergoing some maintenance, I've had a few fallouts today as well..

@sigi: Please download again. There appears to have been an error with 32-bit windows versions...

sigi(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yep, works now. Thank you.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#6]
No joy. The render window opens then quickly shuts and the app quits responding. Maybe it doesn't like my models. I admit, they are an acquired taste. ;).

puki(Posted 2008) [#7]
Better have a nice control system.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
I like the older versions layout and controls. It was alot easier to access things and set them up for blitz3d :o)

But things must move on i guess.

plash(Posted 2008) [#9]
Written in BlitzMax eh? very interesting..

Filax(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hi fredborg :)

I like the images links :)

I wanna see the others ! :)

See ya

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#11]
What about this one?

Made with the improved fractal terrain in 2 seconds and rendered in <2 minutes...

Filax(Posted 2008) [#12]
I see it but the previous message link is linked on :
http:// localhost/ ... etc

Note : http:// localhost/frecle/images/small/giles2_screen04.jpg

About this version : I like the gui ! really. But i get
some problems with the new navigation method (directional
key press + mouse look). It is possible to add the older
navigation style ? (via space bar) ?

But great job!

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#13]
lol, localhost :)

You can configure view controls in the preferences... Just use the other mouse buttons as well :)

You should hold ALT to navigate the view!!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#14]
I like Giles..i just cant understand such set of camera/selection control...what actual reason why you change old style camera control/selection Fredborg? This set of controls are really ugly..

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#15]
Well, it's nearly the same as 3ds max that's why. So for me it's easier like that..

As mentioned countless times before, if you don't like the defaults, you can modify them in the preferences. If you are too lazy to do so, you can download this: preferences.xml and copy it to your gile[s] folder. Then spacebar is the navigation hot key, instead of Alt and Alt controls the grid instead.

There is even a "camera mode only" which you can turn on, if you don't want to touch the keyboard at all. By default it doesn't have a shortcut, but again you can assign one yourself in the preferences. So I'll leave that to you.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#16]
..mm..okay...my intension was not to critisize, but pure curiosity, regarding controls..its not exactly same as 3dsmax since in max i just have to hold LMB and cursors and im in nice walktrough mode and mid button for slide...pretty much same as old giles (3.1)..nice evolution of Giles by the way..i like it..

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#17]
It's the same in gile[s] :) Except you don't have to hold the LMB...

Doesn't that work?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#18]
..I give it a try..i really like new giles..much much much faster lightmapper..and very nice..however, i have some question regarding Giles screwing UV map set on some geometry...after lightmap is rendered, UV map set is messed up on one part of my geometry..here are pics

Geometry loaded, everything is fine

Lightmaps set, everything seems to be okay

Lightmaps rendered, and properly aligned over cliff surface, however, ground part is messed up..

Geometry is done in 3DSMAX and exported as B3D, or ASE..both seems to be fine, until I render light out..any suggestions Fred?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#19]
Try sending me the scene, and I'll fix it asap!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#20]
..where to send Fredborg?? Official email exposed on web site? B3D file + textures will be okay?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#21]
giles [at] frecle.net, yep b3d + tex is fine

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#22]
..im sorry for delay, I had problems with connection...B3D, textures and Giles file I used included..i hope to hear what was problem...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#23]
..any news about issue I came across Fred?

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#24]
Yep, it's because your textures are assigned to uv 1 instead of uv 0.. uv 1 is modified to fit the lightmap.

There's a new update available which lets you copy uv1 -> uv0 and then switch the texture coordinate set as well.

1: Select eveything
2: Modify -> Mesh -> Copy UV1 -> UV0
3: Open Texture Editor
4: Change all textures to use Coodinate Set 0 instead of 1
5: Open Lighting Methods Wizard, and use it to assign lightmaps.

Step 1->4 can of course be skipped if you switch the map channel in 3ds max before exporting the scene.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#25]
well...I did that purposely in Max because I needed that order..download link is same?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#26]
and also, why texture over cliffs are not screwed, just small patches on ground, even thay are all aligned on same way?