Scish (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/Scish (WIP)

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#1]
Casual game fans turn back now. ;)

I've been working on this game for some time now and maybe it's time to show it here. It's a top-down 2D-space melee with 3D graphics, like a Star Control/Asteroids/Spacewar clone in a hardcore multiplayer setting. What makes it very much non-casual, is realistic physics modeling. It's quite tricky to master, but very much fun after the learning stage.

I've implemented AI assisted mouse control in the game a few weeks ago to make it a bit easier. Now all I need is some fresh victi.. I mean volunteers to test it. The mouse cursor thingy is just something temporary, ignore it being poorly visible. Uh.. I'll work on it later.

Mouse controls:
-place mouse cursor to the direction you want your ship to point at and AI will control the rotating thrusters the best it can
-left mouse button to burn main thrusters
-right mouse button to burn reverse thrusters (on ships which have them)
Generic keys:
-Esc to exit current game/screen
-When you are dead and waiting for respawn, pressing space switches the view to next AI player
-Holding down Tab in-game shows the current scores.
The other controls are user definable and are stored as scancodes in the ini file. Settings screen to change them more easily will be implemented later.

Requirements:
Windows (it's Blitz3D)
Relatively fast CPU, like P4, not sure... It's very CPU intensive, especially with a lot of AI players.
Decent graphics card. It runs on laptop integrated graphics, but not so smoothly
Basic understanding of Newtonian physics as inertia plays a huge role in controlling the ship

If you don't understand what to do or what all the weapons do, watch the demo and see AI play. To learn the basics of movement without AI players poking around, play 'milk run'.

There are a lot of features under the hood, supported by the engine but not implemented in UI. So don't judge the game like it's ready.
I've been working on the engine so hard that I've become totally blind to all the playability/usability issues the game has. So help me, please.

Download(2,7 MB)

Screenshots:

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#2]
Man I need binoculars to see those screenies! Looking good though. Haven't played yet but I will definitely give it a try at some stage.

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#3]
You don't need binoculars, just the left ear of your mouse. ;)
*CLICK*

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#4]
*SKWEEK*

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#5]
cool, how do you get the realtime lighting effects on the astroids/ships (when you turn the other side lights up), is it a animated image?

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#6]
Nope, just two light sources. White light and blue light coming from different directions.
Wait a second.. Animated image?? I did mention this is done with 3D graphics. It's just the game engine that is two dimensional.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#7]
duh, just saw your thing that it's B3d, thought it was max, thanks

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#8]
I just got around to playing this. I love the graphics and the game play looks good, but is there any way to turn the mouse control off? I would prefer to play with the keys but the presence of the mouse controls makes it nigh on impossible.

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thanks for trying it. The mouse control is forced on right now because I was just testing how intuitive it is. I guess it's not? I can add an option to turn it off, but I don't have time to do it right now. I'm going fishing tomorrow for five days...

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#10]
The mouse control is fine, it's just my personal preference. Enjoy the fishing trip!