Techno - inside the base?

Community Forums/Showcase/Techno - inside the base?

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#1]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73063#826527

So this game was released six months ago - just did a google for it and found nothing.

I know a few blitzers bought it, but was wondering if the author figured it wasn't worth marketing and has moved on?

Haven't heard from Paolo in six months!

(actually scrub that - I see he's posted about a katamari prototype ;-)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75777#847015

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#2]
Google "tecno the base" and you'll find it.

I bought it, not got very far in it. But will probably re-visit it as I'm stuck using a low specced laptop right now, so it'll probably just about handle tecno but nothing else.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yep, yer spelling will be whats stopping you getting results :o)

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#4]
Duh, sure enough, I googled with an 'h'.

Anyway, I was just interested in how it's been received (outside of the blitz community) and what sort of marketing Paolo did - I see it's on download.com for example.

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hi there guys!,
I have just found this topic :)

I haven't got the time to do some marketing lately, mainly because, finally, a publisher
from Rusia is willing to publish the game for the russian market (as long as we can
successfully finish the translation ...)

... and , during the last few months I have been working with the publisher to
complete the translation ( using the MixailV's FastText.dll for unicode chars ),
... we have also fixed some few issues concerning gameplay and such,
... now it is almost done,
and I hope no new problems to come up ...

the publisher is AKELLA ( http://www.akella.com ), and although the game is considered
a low-budget game, I think it is a very good thing for the Blitz community to have a
game published in the retail market ...

... at the moment, the publisher is testing what would be the final russian-version, and if
everything is ok, then it will be ready by the next week, ....

... finally, now I'm having some time to start doing some "marketing" and such,
... I will be uploading the version 1.3 ( I hope it is the last one),
... shortly, the ones who bought the game will receive an e-mail with the update ...

thanks!
Paolo.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#6]

and although the game is considered
a low-budget game

Come again? The gameplay looks a hell of a lot more fun than that hundred million dollar budget game, Halo. It looks amazing.

May I ask how many people are on your team?

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#7]
Paolo

Congratulations on getting picked up by Akella!
They're quite a well-known publisher with some great titles in their library - and now tecno.

Are they going to produce a boxed copy or is it on-line sales only?

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#8]
@Retimer
hmmm, well , ... the team is the guys who kindly donated the music + tokamak-wrapper (listed in the credits), ... and me :)

@MadJack
Till now, the intention is selling a boxed version in stores from Rusia (actually the territory involves all the countries
from the ex-USSR, such as Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan,
Turkmenistan, Moldavia Uzbekistan, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia ,

... but I guess Moscow might be their main market place).

By the way, ... I'm getting this deal with Akella thanks to
Andrei Birukov who is a game intermediary from Rusia,
... maybe you would like to contact him to see if he could get
a deal for "Tank Universal".
... write me if you want to know his e-mail ...

Paolo.

Anatoly(Posted 2008) [#9]
the intention is selling a boxed version in stores from Rusia

As far as I know (and I lived in Russia for 17 years) after 1998 games in ex-USSR are mostly sold in jewel cases.

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#10]
are mostly sold in jewel cases

Very thin boxes then ;-)

Paolo
I might do that - I'll send you an email shortly. Thanks.
I have two other publishers interested, but one wants to publish on-line only (portals) and the other seems to have had some shady dealings in its past.

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#11]
Anatoly,
yes that's ok, I was talking about selling a >CD or DVD< and not on-line version,
but I didn't know if it was a box, or jewel case, or whatever ... thanks for the info.

MadJack,
good to know it, ... maybe we can exchange publishers or something ;)

Paolo.

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#12]
maybe we can exchange publishers or something ;)

The on-line publishers I've been dealing with are Meridian4. They do publish box copies and on-line titles such as Bus Driver, but apparently TU was rejected by their retail distributor (they didn't say who that was or why).

They seem to be reputable - extensive googling hasn't turned up any devs griping and at first glance, their contract looks ok.

http://meridian4.com/

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#13]
I bought this when it first came out. didn't play it much do to a lot of weird control issues and the bots where way too hard. But this new version is amazing!! Very fun and good controls now. Great game!!