2.5d vector map viewer

Community Forums/Showcase/2.5d vector map viewer

Kalisme(Posted 2008) [#1]
I was sitting around last night on my computer and wrote a 2.5D vector map viewer... it has a 2d edit mode and a 2.5d view mode. This is just an early step towards a larger goal... Next I have to work on applying textures, creating floors (I'm thinking polygons), then height differances.
Well, here's what I wrote last night:

controls:
LMB=draw wall (connects to last vector)
RMB=start new vector (not connecting to last vector)
"1"= wall scribble
hold "SPACE" to enter 2.5D mode.
(arrow keys control movement... think "doom")

There's no collision code yet... I think I'll probably use box - > line collision detection.
Oh, and I know it might seem that there'd be a massive slow down with the extra features I'm planning, but I'm just using the blitz2d code as a test and to figure out the maths... I'm hoping to port this over to SDL using DevC++ later on.

Any advice on adding textures or any hints on anything else would be nice.

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
interesting.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#3]
Please include and executable for those without blitz3D.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#4]
and screenshots!

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#5]
Took the liberty to help. Also had to change the resolution for program because it wouldn't run on my computer.
Looks pretty good, keep up the good work.

EXE Download:
EXE No longer available.

2D Map

3D Map

Kalisme(Posted 2008) [#6]
Xzider: Thankyou for posting an executable and screenshots :)

Isn't this code compatable with Blitz plus? erg... I thought it would be... I actually had a free version of blitz2d (don't worry... got it from a magazine) before I purchased Blitz3d... I thought it had all the commands except the "graphics3d" commands....
...I wonder what the limitations of that ol' blitz2d were actually... "hmmm" & such. Maybe you could register it so you could actually get support or something... oh well.. never mind.

I've managed to figure out how to display textures on the walls... bit dodgey right now, but I did it at 3AM after two hours of sleep. I'll post it when it's stable (-ish).
Oh, and I'll post a screenshot or two and an executable... (well... probably a zip with the *.exe and a texture file).

(Oh, and I should add a vetex snapping option....)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#7]
hey kalisme, do you still have your deKAL system online? i'D like to have a copy.. but the link on your page isn't working...

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#8]
No problem Kalisme, if you need me to update it at all let me know, or if you have somewhere to do it, let me know so I can delete off the forum:D Have fun coding!

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#9]
This is really very cool nice job.

Kalisme(Posted 2008) [#10]
t3k|Mac: Unfortunatley deKAL fell through... :(
I sent you an Email explaning why... I should go write that on the worklog... I forgot.
Oh, and checked out your web site... Wow, classy :)
Great stuff indeedy.

Xzider: Thanks tons, I think I'm a bit busy with parties and stuff the next too days, but as soon as I get a chance I'm running back to the PC and locking myself away to code for a while.... YAY! =D

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#11]
Neat, I wanted to make an 3d level editor like this inspired by the build engine. That was a super easy engine to make levels for.