Flickering torchlight (flame source)

Community Forums/Showcase/Flickering torchlight (flame source)

puki(Posted 2008) [#1]
Short video:
http://media.putfile.com/Light-flickering-in-Blitz3D-using-Oblivion-geometry

I was unhappy with Bethesda Softworks' lighting in Oblivion, so I have tried to fix it with Blitz Oblivion. Their lighting more shimmers, than flickers.

I captured this with FRAPS, converted it and uploaded it so the speed and quality have suffered from original. The buffering from their site does stiff it a bit.

Anyway, does anyone think it adds a bit of 'atmosphere'?

Here is a video I found on You Tube of someone with a torch in their hand walking around - you should notice the blatant lack of flickering:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=myuW9dFisfk

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#2]
nice. Have you built a team yet for blitz oblivion? Or is it simply a project to use blitz3D to render an oblivion look alike using ripped models and textures.

Building a full scale RPG with original content and quests would be very cool and doable with the number of blitz3D users we have now. I'm still windering what evr happened to LDraven and his RPG, that looked great.

puki(Posted 2008) [#3]
Blitz Oblivion is purely my own project. It doesn't replicate Oblivion, just uses the geometry.

It is cool-looking though to take commercial game media and put it into a lesser engine (especially a DX7 one) and do things better than the original developer did with their own modern engine.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#4]
yes, blitz is turning into an old engine, and it's great to see people can still make nice effects with it, and not just complain about not having dx9 support.

This used to happen with old systems, like consoles and 8 and 16 bit computers. I remember on the amstrad CPC, some of the later games that were released really pushed the machine to it's limits getting close to 16bit quality graphics, the same is happening to blitz I think as people are pushing what can be done under the DX7 limitation.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#5]
Video is unavailable?

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#6]
Very good job, Puki.

nrasool(Posted 2008) [#7]
Very Nice Puki, so you going to release the Flickering torchlight source code :-)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
I take it this is 2 blitz lights, randomly (to a certain degree) changing color? Looks good. The level must be fairly well built for vertex lighting :o)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#9]
Flickery! Flamey!! Effect-o-gazmic!!!

*(Posted 2008) [#10]
Basically this could be achieved by simply adjusting the range of the light from the torch :)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#11]
in the oblivion youtube even the furthest distance of the caverns were well lit without a single visible light source
ok you see the occasional torch or camp fire but not enough to light what was lit in real life

puki(Posted 2008) [#12]
Oblivion did not have fully dark levels - if you removed all lighting there was still light in them - crystsals and other things gave off light.

I'm only using one light in my code. In fairness, the video I posted seems a bit jerky so you cannot see it the way I see it.

My lighting is clearly, visually, better than Oblivion's.

MCP(Posted 2008) [#13]
Great job Puki. Well done :)

stayne(Posted 2008) [#14]
Looks like you're shifting a light around on the x axis while setting the brightness randomly?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#15]
if we wanted a fixed shaped lighting we'd have taken a 100 watt lamp stand in there with us ... and a fooking long extention lead (handy to find the way back with)

puki(Posted 2008) [#16]
Here is another video with an animated character:
http://media.putfile.com/Light-flickering-in-Blitz3D-using-Oblivion-geometry-36

I borked the resolution when I saved it (so it is lower quality) and FRAPS seem to slow this video down a bit more.

When i tried to watch it, I found i had to cycle through 'View Size' to get it to display correctly - toggle to 'Wide' seems to fix it.

puki(Posted 2008) [#17]
Here is a final video that sort of blends the Oblivion lighting and mine into each other - the Oblivion method dampens the flickering:
http://media.putfile.com/Light-flickering-in-Blitz3D-using-Oblivion-geometry-10

*(Posted 2008) [#18]
it does look like you move the light around a bit tho maybe that is something to do with the way you do it bit it does look odd IMHO.