Version 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/107859226/GIAong2.rar
- Added sounds

Version 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/107057854/GIAong.rar
- First one

Let me know how you think of it.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#2]
I cant figure out how to start the game. I tried every button to make the cursor let go of the ball. Dont get mad at me, Vodka did it.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#3]
All you have to do is press the Reset button. The white circle that follows the cursor was meant for Fullscreen mode but I left it on.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ok, it looks pretty good. It took about 1 minute at the start for the ball finally to bounce over to the computer paddle and it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to add some sounds. I didnt know the ball hit the computer paddle til the ball finally started bouncing toward me. Maybe you can put a random direction on the balls first bounce off the rail? Other than that, it looks like a pretty good start.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#5]
I did make the ball randomly go in any direction whenever it starts but thats sometimes bad because it can get glitchy.

Like sometimes it'll look like its going towards you or the computer really slowly, but it's actually bouncing up and down really really fast. Also, if the ball hits the tops or bottoms of the paddles, the ball go wacko and you don't know who's gonna get a point.

This is actually the first game i've actually FINISHED. I've tried making an FPS but I can't get the jumping right... same for Sidescrolling games. I've tried 3D RTS but I can figure out how to do attacking, I may know a way now though. Pong just seemed like the easiest thing I could do, and it was, and I finished it. It made me happy :)

As for sounds, maybe i'll try to add some.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#6]
Its a really good start and I would say your on a great path. I read an article once stating the best road to approach in game design is starting with Pong, then tetris, then defender, then super mario style and pacman. Doing each of these styles of games allows you to expand on the different kinds of tools and approaches when making games. Keep pluggin away at them, your stumbling blocks will become building blocks.

Good job.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#7]
:D Ok I added some sounds. When the ball goes fast enough it sounds like a neat little beat that sounds l33t and makes you tap your feet while you're on your seat... don't cheat(j/k)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#8]
Good start on making games. Start simple and work up. Try writing a few more remakes of very old games. Like asteroids or space invaders. They'll teach you a lot of fundementals of games programming and help you with solving problems in more complex modern games you may have ambitions to make.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#9]
Yea, I want to make games like TimeSplitters because of it's replayability. I've started different types of games to see which ones I could do but I always run into problems and that's why I'm just like "I'll make something simple" just to see if I could, and I can. Also, the game "DreamBall 64" by RetroSouls seems like it could help him earn a lot of $$$ if he sells it. It's really fun for what little he has put into it.