Hoverthingy

Community Forums/Showcase/Hoverthingy

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#1]
OK, this is a tech demo type affair of a thought I had...

Could you fly something that had 2 independent directional thrusters?

Well, with a bit of poncing about I've managed to come up with a flying machine type thing...

You will need a controller, if you don't you can't play.

Once you start it up hit tab to go into the mind meltingly confusing controller set up screen, basically wiggle the sticks see which things move and select LX,LY,RX and RY for left controller X and Y axis, and right controller X and Y axis... And pick your trigger buttons for giving the left and right engine additional umph.

It'll probably make more sense when you see it, but I knocked it together in a couple of minutes!

Anyhoo... You can't crash, there's no collision on the 'buildings' and there's nothing to do apart from fly around a bit.

Quite cool if you hit the gas on both engines, push both sticks forward and then release the gas on one engine and it gently banks round... I think it's cool anyway!

Enough of all this... Enjoy, or not.

Constructive and Non-constructive criticism welcome. If you decide on Non-constructive please make sure it's dumb enough so you can be mocked and taunted further down in the thread.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob.farley/download/Misc/hoverthingy.zip

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#2]
problems with my 360 pad

right thumb stick
centred its fully right
fully right brings it into the options box just after zero
fully left brings it to the centre position

l and r triggers do simmilar
l gets it centre
r gets it infront of flip

i recalibrated it in controll pannel and its still like that

edit:
zero and flip are clickable
never mind im having one of those brain days

edit:
moves nice
default thrusts were back and start would have liked l and r trigger but that aint an option so i went for the buttons above

im guessing this is how youd get a babylon 5 fighter to fly with its 16? thrusters

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah should probably have mentioned you should click the zero button when you're not touching any controls!

The 360 pad, has analogue triggers then... ah... my controller only has buttons... you'll need to use buttons not the triggers then for the engine boost. Bugger... Analogue triggers would be cool! Need to get myself a 360 controller I think!

Updated the Zip to have particle effects now.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#4]
360 pad goes thus
left stick
l/r 1st line
u/d 2nd line

right stick
l/r 6th line
u/d 8th line

l/r trigger
3rd line

a b x y
1 2 3 4

left button
right button

back

start

thumb stick buttons unused but im guessing
l 9
r 10

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
and does it automatically snapshot or is it assigned to a button cos i was button mashing before i saw the hit tab comment trying to get it to move and ended up with a few bmp's

edit perhaps assigning the thrusters to the 9 10 buttons for pads that support clicking analogue sticks?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#6]
Looks like the controller is only £25 so I'll just pick one up, would definately make a lot of sense to have the engine speed on an analogue trigger.

[edit] Bugger yeah... button 1 was screenshot for debug[/edit]
[edit2]Just updated it, F12 is screenshot now![/edit2]

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#7]
aye was thinking the bloody same on the first thread about it
a pad is a must for testing purposes alone cos SOMEONE might like to play your game with a pad instead of whatever keyboard config

if i broke both of my hands i wouldnt be able to wsad + mouse but i could dual thumb stick through the cast and pain killers ;)

^ C+P into my sig curse you (and mega tokyo) for giving me the thought

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
Whats the key controls? I've worked out arrow keys move so far :o)

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#9]
Whats the key controls? I've worked out arrow keys move so far :o)
As stated in the first post... "You will need a controller, if you don't you can't play"

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#10]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wposQRjxLQ

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#11]
Please tell me that you're working on Choplifter remake in 3d... ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#12]
No Grisu, it is just an experiment!

However I did this a couple of years back!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MxfPFYPNI
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=547&log=1319

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#13]
Ah, sorry, looked at the screenshots then that was me. Excellent looking model!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#14]
Looks interesting. I couldn't get it to work properly with my Ps2 controller as I couldn't map the right analogue verticle axis in the config?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#15]
I couldn't get it to work properly with my Ps2 controller as I couldn't map the right analogue verticle axis in the config?
Have you managed to get it working in blitz at all, I'm pretty sure I'm using all the available options!?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#16]
Nice config screen. Did you code that yourself?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#17]
Nice config screen. Did you code that yourself?
As stated in the first post... "It'll probably make more sense when you see it, but I knocked it together in a couple of minutes!"

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#18]
Yep, i need to go back to school and learn to read the full post.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#19]

Have you managed to get it working in blitz at all, I'm pretty sure I'm using all the available options!?

Yes - I use the PS2 dual sticks for my current game and they can be set up fine in my config.

Function JOYPADmapaxis#( Port , Axis )

Select Abs( Axis )

Case 1	joy#=JoyX( Port )
		Case 2	joy#=JoyY( Port )
		Case 3	joy#=JoyZ( Port )
		Case 4	joy#=JoyPitch( Port) / 180.0
		Case 5	joy#=JoyRoll( Port )/180.0
		Case 6	joy#=JoyYaw( Port )/180.0
		Case 7	joy#=JoyU( Port )
		Case 8	joy#=JoyV( Port )
		Case 9	joy# = JoyDown( 1, Port )
		Case 10	joy# = JoyDown( 2, Port )
		Case 11	joy# = JoyDown( 3, Port )
		Case 12	joy# = JoyDown( 4, Port )
		Case 13	joy# = JoyDown( 5, Port )
		Case 14	joy# = JoyDown( 6, Port )
		Case 15	joy# = JoyDown( 7, Port )
		Case 16	joy# = JoyDown( 8, Port )
		Case 17	joy# = JoyDown( 9, Port )
		Case 18	joy# = JoyDown( 10, Port )
		Case 19	joy# = JoyDown( 11, Port )
		Case 20	joy# = JoyDown( 12, Port )
		Case 21	joy# = JoyDown( 13, Port )
		Case 22	joy# = JoyDown( 14, Port )
		Case 23	joy# = JoyDown( 15, Port )
		Case 24	joy# = JoyDown( 16, Port )

End Select

Return  ( joy# * Sgn(Axis) )

End Function

The right stick y axis is joyz( port ). Are you missing this?

Stevie

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#20]
I missed your post.
This is a crazy good idea! This is a game only to learn drive.
Hope you complete a game with this

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#21]
The right stick y axis is joyz( port ). Are you missing this?
JoyZ is definately in there. It does some funny things with my on my pad, you have zeroed it?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#22]
Zeroised it? My pads all have different dead zones so not sure how this will help?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#23]
As it you've pressed the "Zero" button on the config panel?

Wiggle the joysticks, the hit the "Zero" buttons all the way down. JoyZ is the 3rd one down.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#24]
had another play around
few things

ADD 9 and 10 buttons !!!
they be the buttons under the dual sticks thrusters might work better there
and it means i can use my trigger fingsr for the trigger buttons (z axis iir) not that you use them in this demo
its wierd trying to use middle fingers for those buttons whilst using index for the l1 r1 buttons for thrusters

a fixed camera
the camera on some turnings almost went 180 on me os i really lost my bearings and at one point i was in the black sky and thats all i could see took me a while to find 'land' again to see what direction i was turning (yes i was 'turning' but with the camera doing its thing and no land to orient myself against i could be upside down for all i knew)

was also mucking around looking for the most quickest way down to the point i took off from
it seems both sticks out does the trick
i love the way you can bank turn or 180 on a sixpence depending on one or both sticks

edit:
oh and mine dont shjow the thrusty mist but that might be a gfx card issue cos mine is pants
nor do i have many 'sky scrapers' compared to the video's almost endless supply

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#25]
Zip updated to include buttons 9 and 10.

Also added an auto height thing... which basically adjusts the thrusters to keep you at a fairly regular height.

I'm really quite stunned by the distinct apathy towards this... oh well!

Anyway... I'm even going to add full keyboard support so all non joypad users can have a go.

Torrente(Posted 2008) [#26]
Took me a while to get my controller set up, but this is quite fun!

I'd love to see a game made from this. Also, a bit more speed would be nice.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#27]
thanks for buttons 9 and 10 feels better on the 360 pad
dont have time to really play with this but im getting better at flying the damn thing

perhaps their is appathy as its a tech demo of an unproven controll method
dont know how the keyboard will work out
what would the keys be wsad and cursor space and right shift/num 0?
running out of fingers trying to think of where to put the fire button and what to hit it with

so far i use just my thumbs
i could use the right quickly on one of the buttons and i have my index fingers for the zaxis triggers and l/r buttons

its ergonomic and economical on the hands its why i prefer it (joypads) over wsad mouse in fps (ok i only play them on the xbox but i doubt id use keyboard if supported them as standard but as its a games machine what use is a keyboard?)

im just waiting for something to shoot :)

re your first thread
0 i have a pad and i want to use the fing thing in a well thought out manner
9.5 out of 10 on implementation

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#28]
perhaps their is appathy as its a tech demo of an unproven controll method
Possibly, but you would have thought on a forum like this people would embrace something new and different?!

Regarding the keyboard control I too was thinking WASD + Spacebar for the left engine and Cursor Keys and Num0 For the Right engine.

I'm not thinking this a a shooty type game as it's all about the control. There was a game on the spectrum called Cyclone where you had to rescue people (in a helicopter) from islands as a cyclone was approaching. As you got closer to the storm the control was harder. There was no subtlety in that game but I like the idea! I've just started adding wind into this and it's quite cool trying to keep the thing level and in a straight line with gusting winds! Maybe I just like the challenge too much!?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/cyclone/screenshots

Mark Judd(Posted 2008) [#29]
This is good fun.

To be honest the controller only aspect did put me off at first, but im really glad i decided to dig out the old thrustmaster (fnarr) pad.

I really like what you've done, and immediately thought of an ancient old game i used to play on the BBC micro (i think) where you had to fly a 'chopper through lumps of rock spewing from a volcano and rescue peeps on the far side of the hill before the lava got them - all in 2D of course.

The thrill of dodging the slow moving rocks was pretty good i seem to remember - it'd be excellent in 3D (cockpit cam perhaps ?).

Whatever, the feel is great, and i look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Oh - it would be nice if you could have a 'hardcore' mode as well - where it would be possible to invert the craft, etc and just staying aloft would be a challenge in itself.

cheers,

Mark

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#30]
fix the camera
i mean that in two ways
it still 180's me on some moves or i leave it behind zooming off

or
fix it to a point on the craft physically mounted or like it is but always a constant pace and direction reletive to it

other than that its still ok
but the intro of the constant thrust makes me wonder "how do i land now?" as i could just glide down or have both thrusts facing each other / away ive forgotten and it would just 'plummet'

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#31]
I'm going to sort out the camera, it was just a very quick and dirty chase camera.

I'm also going to put it into a slightly more exciting environment... Cubes and a checker board are somewhat dull.

Also I've added 2 extra buttons, Engines On/Off and Auto-Height On/Off... I think the keyboard option is become less and less viable!

And some fog that goes blown around with the wind.

New download to follow soon.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#32]
Starting to look marginally more interesting now... New download to follow soon...

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#33]
oooh
looks even nicer
gonna have a go of that when its uploaded :)

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#34]
Time to get my gamepad out of the cellar... ;)

Adam Novagen(Posted 2008) [#35]
Rob, texture the HoverJet (or whatever you wanna call it), and you could be on to a cool game here!

PS: Tragically, I have no gamepad, and can't use your APP... Waaah. T_T

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#36]
Adam I'm not going to texture that until I know what the game is!! I very much doubt that will be the final model... Because this has just developed from an experiment I don't know where this is going...

I'm thinking some kind of gather objects / rescue people thing... prefrably without violence.

Suggestions on a postcard please!

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#37]
Just got my paws on a 360 controller...

I'm getting the feeling that this is more of an interesting experiment rather than anything else to be honest... Still... It's kept me amused for a few days!

I'll upload the current version for everyone to have a play with later.

Thinking of swapping back to a regular helicopter but implementing some of the more interesting physics stuff like getting blown around in the wind... I like the idea of making a game where it's actually a bit of an artform to fly it!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#38]
well i could see something coming out of it but i just dont have the skills to do it myself

i could see it as a babylon 5 star fighter controll method cos they had a mad amount of thrusters for full 3d flying

my new gioteck ps3 pad dont seem to like windows at the moment ,,, im not mitherd it was only a tenner (and acts as a spare usb a/b cable)
if it did id post the button config if it differed from the 360 pad
i like most of us started with a ps2 dual stick (well mine was for psone) so i was kinda out of sorts when i got my xbox all those years ago so migrators could keep the look and feel of the sony pad

similar thing goes for the wiimote
if the hardware hacks posted on youtube can be done for the pc with little to no skill by the wii owner wishing to play a wiiesque game on the pc then im sure people would write an option for it (but it would in wii's case have to be an also mode)

i like the looks of the wiimote and thumb thingie slapped onto a 'gun' thing that they sell ... TFT's dont allow light gun games but this allows em to a fassion

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#39]
360 pad goes thus
left stick
l/r 1st line
u/d 2nd line

right stick
l/r 6th line
u/d 8th line

l/r trigger
3rd line

a b x y
1 2 3 4

left button
right button

back

start

thumb stick buttons
l 9
r 10

ps3 (geoteck compatible (£10) not sony sixaxis it were £40)
left stick
l/r 1st line
u/d 2nd line

right stick
l/r 3rd line
u/d 7th line

1 square
 2 x
 3 circle
 4 triangle

5 left 1
 7 left 2

6 right 1
 8 right 2

9 select
10 start

thumb stick buttons
11 left
12 right

Dpad
13 up
14 right
15 down
16 left

some major differences there
means joypad supporters need to know what pads are what or offer similar config screens instead of just plug and play
so when i plug my 360 pad in i have to re calibrate it all again :(
my default choice would be 360/games for windows as its sold as a pc pad it just so happens the ps3 is usb and compatible too
but having not tested a generic pc pad like the cheap one from game ive got no idea what that would set up like

kinda get why people stick to wsad + moiuse now :(
least i know bloth work in blitz :) (mostly)

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#40]
I'm sure the calibration screen could be made a lot simpler by actually monitoring what's going on and asking the user to do stuff like move the left analogue stick to all extremes, then move the right to all extremes... I was just being lazy with that screen really so you have to watch and see what moves yourself.

I doubt it would be that hard to create a universal mapping thing! Just need to automate what I've got a bit more.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#41]
well atleast we know what buttons are assigned to what re 360 and ps3(non sixaxis) pads
most are on the same settings so little to no changes needed for basic options
its just the right thumb thats out of whack and some of the option buttons

so ive learnt something from this apart from how to 'fly' an independant twin engine thingie that has the body of a hellecopter

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#42]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRT_vAC6iHw

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#43]
Can some people test their controllers with this please...

It's a nicer calibrator thingy for controllers. Would be nice to know what controllers it works with and which ones it doesn't.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob.farley/download/Misc/AutoSetup.zip

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#44]
wired 360 pad A-OK
wired ps3 (not sixaxis) compatible pad A-OK

well just the wiggling of the thumbsticks as it dont do owt else at the mo
makes me wonder if i can have both connected and it knowing which one im using as player one
but that would mean a spare usb port ;)
im not that curious to find out by buying a hub or disconnect my usb modem

plash(Posted 2008) [#45]
If you want to get realistic, that chopper should not be spewing out puffs of smoke.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#46]
Who ever mentioned realistic?!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#47]
is the demo up for the new gfx/video version?

and i dug out some basic (no pun intended) joy input that i copied from the online docs
the 360 dpad does come up blank unlike the ps3 ... so thats kinda a bummer as those buttons can be handy (not for the obvious digital controll method)