New Star Soccer 4

Community Forums/Showcase/New Star Soccer 4

siread(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here is a beta of the NSS4 match engine. The game is being created with BlitzMax, MiniB3D and FryGui. I'd be interested to hear your comments on anything and everything... design, gameplay, ai, and of course bugs.

If you experience any problems running the game try different settings by using the NSS4_Settings.exe. When you post a comment please let me know your pc specs so I can determine the minimum spec.

Match controls can be edited via the spanner icon on the match screen. Use the ‘?’ help button to read a detailed explanation of the controls.

Press F1 to start a replay. If you experience a glitch or something weird, please save the replay then go to the Replays folder and zip the file and send it to me or attach it in this thread on my forum:

http://www.newstarsoccer.com/newstarforum/showthread.php?t=5491

Take screenshots with the F11 key. These will be saved in the Images/ScreenShots folder.

http://download.newstargames.com/NSS4_Public_Beta_2.zip

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#2]
forum link doesn't work, downloading now...

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#3]
Might have found the correct forum link and have updated siread's original post with it.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#4]
I get corrupted textures on the 3d graphics. E.g. the football on the main menu, the player images on the human / computer select screen, and the pitch, players etc in game.

Other than it, appears to work fine!

images coming over by email...

siread(Posted 2008) [#5]
Woah, that's some crazy textures. No idea what's happening there. Did you try OpenGl and DirectX?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#6]
I only used opengl, but I've just tried and directx yields the same...

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#7]
goal keeper gets stuck and you cant take a goal kick happens randomly to both you and the ai. but its great apart from that

simonh(Posted 2008) [#8]
Doesn't run here, crashes after the settings screen. I have a MacBook, 2.4Ghz, Intel X3100, 2GB (running bootcamp).

siread(Posted 2008) [#9]
Simon, could you set debug=1 in the Settings.ini file then mail the NSS4_Beta.log to me. Thanks. :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#10]
Works really fine here. Nvidia EN 7200 GS. Great work, I really had fun playing.

siread(Posted 2008) [#11]
Thanks Mortiis. Anyone with a problem starting the game please try this version:

http://download.newstargames.com/NSS4_Public_Beta_1b.zip

puki(Posted 2008) [#12]
This looks good. It's a bit like "mongia's" game (Total Control Soccer).

mongia2(Posted 2008) [#13]
http://www.mnztcs.altervista.org/

ehhh!!

see a shot!

Rafery(Posted 2008) [#14]
E' più bello il tuo Mongia anche se non amo i giochi di calcio, graficamente mi sembra superiore il tuo.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#15]
New version still doesn't work I'm afraid. Debug is set to 1 in the settings file but I can't find a NSS4_Beta.log file.

If you want to send me any source code to try out then feel free.

johnnyfreak(Posted 2008) [#16]
i played NSS4 but don't like controls.
mongia's is more intuitive and playable, ( IMHO )

NSS menus slowdown is a minib3d matter or it's my pc (that runs crysis...)?

siread(Posted 2008) [#17]
Yes, the control scheme is proving to be too advanced for most people. :P

plash(Posted 2008) [#18]
Shows up (I can just see the user interface) then disappears, all within a second or so (tried dx and ogl).

This is all the log outputs
Logging started
Using OpenAL
Load Skin
LoadCredits
>>>>>>>>>TScreenMessage.Create: New Star Soccer 4 (v0.8) - Public Beta 1.1b

Ricky Smith(Posted 2008) [#19]
Very nice although when not in possesion ( which was 99% of the time) I found myself constantly running desperately to catch the player with the ball without much success.
I love footy games but I am normally pretty rubbish at em. It would be great to have an AI assisted player control option where the player automatically runs to the ball and then you control the tackle etc.

siread(Posted 2008) [#20]
New improved version. Please let me know if you have any problems. :D

http://download.newstargames.com/NSS4_Public_Beta_2.zip

simonh(Posted 2008) [#21]
New version still crashes I'm afraid.

siread(Posted 2008) [#22]
Simon, could you set debugmode=1 in the Settings.ini and then run it again. Please let me know what the NSS4_Beta.log file says. Thanks.

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes on Radeon cards when the game tries to LoadSprite or CopyEntity. Obviously your card can handle these simple functions so it will be interesting to find out what's going wrong.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#23]
It's an empty file. It crashes straight away.

As for the Radeon issue, I would bet that's a VBO issue. May be related to creating entities before the Graphics3D command. Try disabling VBOs and see if that fixes it.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#24]
I updated my graphics card driver, and the game runs a little longer now before crashing. The beta log reveals that it crashes after this line:

Loading sprite: Media/Player/Cursor2.png

siread(Posted 2008) [#25]
Same line as a lot of other users...

playercursor = LoadMySprite("Media/Player/Cursor2.png", 2)
	ScaleEntity(playercursor,35,35,35)
	SpriteViewMode(playercursor,2)
	RotateEntity(playercursor, 90,1,0)
	EntityColor(playercursor,0,255,0)
	HideEntity(playercursor)

' A global mesh used for all the players
	playermesh = LoadMyAnimMesh("Media/Player/Player.b3d")
	HideEntity(playermesh)

Function LoadMySprite:TSprite(url$, flags:Int=1, parent:TEntity=Null)
	If FileType(url)=1
		AppLog "Loading sprite: "+url
	Else
		AppLog "WARNING! >>>>>>>>>>>> Cannot see sprite: "+url; DebugStop
		Return Null
	End If

Local spr:TSprite = LoadSprite(url, flags, parent)
	If spr
		AppLog "Sprite loaded"
	Else
		AppLog "ERROR! >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sprite could not be loaded: "+url; DebugStop
	EndIf

Return spr
End Function

So it's crashing before it logs "Sprite loaded" or "Sprite could not be loaded". It's the first instance of LoadSprite in the code, but other images are loading fine, so I shouldn't be a molebox/packing issue.

Can you take a look at the sprite file and see if you have any trouble loading it in a basic minib3d app, Simon? Thanks...

Makepool(Posted 2008) [#26]
Maybe you could make the ball marker change colour when in possession? A few times when I was near the ball I veered off thinking I had control of the ball but actually didn't and then the ball ran through to the opposition. It should be quite an easy change to make as well. Didn't find any bugs in the game though.